public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* questions on ./configure
@ 2005-05-16 14:28 Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2005-05-16 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hello,

Everyone knows that running ./configure when starting to build a
software may take some time.  Does anyone know how to re-run ./configure
such  that it skips the part that has been tested before?

For example, the following configure output is taken from trying to
configure coreutils for cygwin.    I believe the following checks could
be skipped, right?  If so, how is it done?

administrator@garden /tmp/coreutils-5.3.0
$ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for desired default level of POSIX conformance... none-specified
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
<snipped>
.
.
.
<continued>
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

* Re: questions on ./configure
@ 2005-05-16 18:21 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-05-16 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:14:52PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>Everyone knows that running ./configure when starting to build a
>software may take some time.  Does anyone know how to re-run ./configure
>such  that it skips the part that has been tested before?
>
>For example, the following configure output is taken from trying to
>configure coreutils for cygwin.    I believe the following checks could
>be skipped, right?  If so, how is it done?

You know, I knew it would happen eventually.  You're using this list
because you apparently can't be bothered to read documentation or find
an appropriate mailing list for your questions.

Since this is the cygwin-talk list, I feel rather confident just making
this observation and offering nothing else useful by way of a reply...

*pause*

Oh, all right.  How about typing "configure --help" and reading the first
four or five lines?

cgf

* Re: questions on ./configure
@ 2005-05-18  1:45   ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2005-05-18  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:14:52PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>

>>Everyone knows that running ./configure when starting to build a
>>software may take some time.  Does anyone know how to re-run ./configure
>>such  that it skips the part that has been tested before?
>>
>>For example, the following configure output is taken from trying to
>>configure coreutils for cygwin.    I believe the following checks could
>>be skipped, right?  If so, how is it done?
>>

>You know, I knew it would happen eventually.  You're using this list
>because you apparently can't be bothered to read documentation or find
>an appropriate mailing list for your questions.

Yup, http://cygwin.com/lists.html

This list is nice.  I try to look for what's needed and if I can't find
it, I try it out here.

>Since this is the cygwin-talk list, I feel rather confident just making
>this observation and offering nothing else useful by way of a reply...
>
>*pause*
>
>Oh, all right.  How about typing "configure --help" and reading the first
>four or five lines?

Great! Thanks for the help.  I really never bothered ever reading the
first four or five lines.  In any case, that's one thing that's good
with you CGF, they say you're mean and this and that, but I don't really
care since you've always been very helpful.    I've subscribed at the
main mailing list since 2002 and your meannness and the rest of the
gang's "follow the leader's meanness"  makes the list very
entertaining.  The number one thing you could get from the cygwin list
is help.  The number two thing is entertainment.

So, to get back to the thread, configure's first 5 lines indicate
setting the environment variables.  The environment variables are:

<config snippet>
Some influential environment variables:
  DEFAULT_POSIX2_VERSION
              POSIX version to default to; see 'config.hin'.
  CC          C compiler command
  CFLAGS      C compiler flags
  LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
              nonstandard directory <lib dir>
  CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
              headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
  CPP         C preprocessor
</config snippet>

However, it's not indicative of what to disable.  For example, how do
you prevent checks for the following:

checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

* Re: questions on ./configure
@ 2005-05-19 14:38     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-05-19 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 08:48:02AM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:14:52PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>>>Everyone knows that running ./configure when starting to build a
>>>software may take some time.  Does anyone know how to re-run ./configure
>>>such  that it skips the part that has been tested before?
>>>
>>>For example, the following configure output is taken from trying to
>>>configure coreutils for cygwin.    I believe the following checks could
>>>be skipped, right?  If so, how is it done?
>>
>>You know, I knew it would happen eventually.  You're using this list
>>because you apparently can't be bothered to read documentation or find
>>an appropriate mailing list for your questions.
>>
>Yup, http://cygwin.com/lists.html
>
>This list is nice.  I try to look for what's needed and if I can't find
>it, I try it out here.

If you think that the cygwin-talk list is really the best place to get
autoconf questions answered after reading lists.html then I guess that
explains why you're having difficulty.

However, since you do seem to understand the basic mean help +
entertainment concept I guess I have to cut you some slack.

><config snippet>
>Some influential environment variables:
> DEFAULT_POSIX2_VERSION
>             POSIX version to default to; see 'config.hin'.
> CC          C compiler command
> CFLAGS      C compiler flags
> LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
>             nonstandard directory <lib dir>
> CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if you have
>             headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
> CPP         C preprocessor
></config snippet>
>
>However, it's not indicative of what to disable.  For example, how do
>you prevent checks for the following:

I guess some configure's differ in what they display.  You'll have to
keep reading apparently all the way up to the "--cache-file" option.

cgf