public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
       [not found] <1118925021.42b170ddc88c7@email.fit.vutbr.cz>
@ 2005-06-16 13:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-06-16 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Jun 16 14:30, Pe?iva Jan wrote:
> > As AGO pointed out, searching for libfreetype.dll is non-portable,
> > dangerous, and silly.
> [...]
> If I skip all offensive words, I have to thank you for the discussion.

Oh my, Igor, why are you so offensive all the time?  May a hippo fall
on you(*)!

Corinna

(*) With parachute so you have some time to get away in time.  Not that
people think I'm trying to be offensive.

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 14:42   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-16 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 16 14:30, Pe?iva Jan wrote:
> > > As AGO pointed out, searching for libfreetype.dll is non-portable,
> > > dangerous, and silly.
> > [...]
> > If I skip all offensive words, I have to thank you for the discussion.
>
> Oh my, Igor, why are you so offensive all the time?  May a hippo fall
> on you(*)!

Ah, the ultimate offensive combination: "non-portable".  How dare I?

> Corinna
>
> (*) With parachute so you have some time to get away in time.  Not that
> people think I'm trying to be offensive.

Thanks! :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 14:48     ` Dave Korn
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-16 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> [...]
>>> If I skip all offensive words, I have to thank you for the discussion.
>>
>> Oh my, Igor, why are you so offensive all the time?  May a hippo fall
>> on you(*)!
>
> Ah, the ultimate offensive combination: "non-portable".  How dare I?

  I would have thought it went without saying that pretty much all hippos
are "non-portable"!

>> Corinna
>>
>> (*) With parachute so you have some time to get away in time.  Not that
>> people think I'm trying to be offensive.
>
> Thanks! :-)
> 	Igor

  OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them parachutes does
spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make when they hit the
ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs so that we can still
have sound-effects?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 15:00       ` Corinna Vinschen
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-06-16 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Mumbling List'

On Jun 16 15:41, Dave Korn wrote:
> >> (*) With parachute so you have some time to get away in time.  Not that
> >> people think I'm trying to be offensive.
> >
> > Thanks! :-)
> > 	Igor
>
>   OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them parachutes does
> spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make when they hit the
> ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs so that we can still
> have sound-effects?

If you strap the tape drive to their back(*), I'm sure you won't have much
of a sound effect on touch-down...

Corinna

(*) Isn't English wonderful ambiguous?

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 15:14       ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-06-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Crazy Eddie's Hippo Emporium

Dave Korn wrote:

>   I would have thought it went without saying that pretty much all hippos
> are "non-portable"!

Didn't we already conclude that the Cyghippo was fast and spirited, and
not one of those lazy sit-around-all-day-in-the-pond-and-collect-welfare
hippos?

Brian

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 15:17   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-06-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:44:31PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jun 16 14:30, Pe?iva Jan wrote:
>> > As AGO pointed out, searching for libfreetype.dll is non-portable,
>> > dangerous, and silly.
>> [...]
>> If I skip all offensive words, I have to thank you for the discussion.
>
>Oh my, Igor, why are you so offensive all the time?  May a hippo fall
>on you(*)!

For the record, I think the offensive words were along the lines of:

OP>You are missing the point.
Igor>No, I think you are missing the point.

Igor, go wash your mouth out with soap!

This thread was the classic example of "I'm trying to port my
application.  Please change the cygwin distribution to make that
possible."

It reminds me of a commercial we have in this area where someone is
trying to sell their house so they ask the police to temporarily reroute
the interstate highway by the house so they get maximum visibility.

cgf

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 15:20       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

And "non-potable"... :-)  Unless you have a *really* large pot.

> >> Corinna
> >>
> >> (*) With parachute so you have some time to get away in time.  Not that
> >> people think I'm trying to be offensive.
> >
> > Thanks! :-)
> > 	Igor
>
>   OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them parachutes does
> spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make when they hit the
> ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs so that we can still
> have sound-effects?

Those who know physics understand that most parachutes won't really delay
the hippo's fall for long -- just long enough for someone to notice and
step away from the target spot.  Then the straps break and you still get
the SPLATTTT.  IIRC, the same happens with jet fighters and disposable
chutes.
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-16 15:28         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2005-06-16 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Brian Dessent's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> >   I would have thought it went without saying that pretty much all hippos
> > are "non-portable"!
>
> Didn't we already conclude that the Cyghippo was fast and spirited, and
> not one of those lazy sit-around-all-day-in-the-pond-and-collect-welfare
> hippos?

Very fast, especially when flying down from a couple of kilometers high
without a parachute...

OAU

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 15:37     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-16 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> [...]
> >> If I skip all offensive words, I have to thank you for the discussion.
> >
> >Oh my, Igor, why are you so offensive all the time?  May a hippo fall
> >on you(*)!
>
> For the record, I think the offensive words were along the lines of:
>
> OP>You are missing the point.
> Igor>No, I think you are missing the point.

Were they?  There's another interpretation, too:

"If I skip all offensive words /that come to mind/, I have to..."

> Igor, go wash your mouth out with soap!

Now, what do web services have to do with this discussion?

> This thread was the classic example of "I'm trying to port my
> application.  Please change the cygwin distribution to make that
> possible."

Heh, why isn't this phrasing in the FAQ?  With a short answer of "No." :-)

Note that this isn't even a porting question -- the application is just
buggy since it looks for a hard-coded DLL name to load dynamically.  The
application itself isn't even a Cygwin application.  Yikes.

> It reminds me of a commercial we have in this area where someone is
> trying to sell their house so they ask the police to temporarily reroute
> the interstate highway by the house so they get maximum visibility.

Well, they *could* require the user to temporarily uninstall Cygwin...
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-16 16:24           ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-06-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hippos anonymous

One Angry User wrote:

> Very fast, especially when flying down from a couple of kilometers high
> without a parachute...

*cue the old 'how do you accelerate a Mac?' 'at about 9.8m/s/s' joke*

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 16:26     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-16 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'No Hippos Were Harmed In The Making Of This Post..... For
	Once!'

> This thread was the classic example of "I'm trying to port my
> application.  Please change the cygwin distribution to make that
> possible."
>
> It reminds me of a commercial we have in this area where someone is
> trying to sell their house so they ask the police to temporarily reroute
> the interstate highway by the house so they get maximum visibility.
>
> cgf

  Damn fools!  Everyone knows they'll never be able to sell their house as
long as the bike-shed is that horrible colour!  They should have got the
cops to repaint it while they were there!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 16:28       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-16 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

And besides, doesn't having a house right next to the interstate highway
decrease its value dramatically?
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-16 16:29       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-06-16 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 05:24:03PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

As long as they use latex paint, that would be ok.

cgf
(who's been doing some painting lately and is really a paint expert now)

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-16 23:00         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-06-16 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:26:23PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

It was just supposed to be a temporary detour...

But, actually I really hate the commercial, so I don't know why I should
be explaining it...

cgf

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-06-17  3:29       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2005-06-17  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

Dave Korn wrote:

>   OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them parachutes does
> spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make when they hit the
> ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs so that we can still
> have sound-effects?

No no no.  Hippos do not go SPLATTTTT.  It's whales that go SPLATTTT (a
"sudden wet thud" cf. Chp. 18)  Didn't you ever read The Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy?

--
Chuck

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-17  9:22         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-17  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> >   OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them
> > parachutes does spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make
> > when they hit the ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs
> > so that we can still have sound-effects?
>
> No no no.  Hippos do not go SPLATTTTT.  It's whales that go SPLATTTT (a
> "sudden wet thud" cf. Chp. 18)  Didn't you ever read The Hitchhiker's
> Guide to the Galaxy?

Ok, ok, whales go SPLATTTT.  Hippos go SPLATTT. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-17  9:58           ` Dave Korn
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>>>   OK, I'm all for Igor getting away in time, but giving them
>>> parachutes does spoil that lovely SPLATTTTT sound they usually make
>>> when they hit the ground!  Can you strap tape-recorders to their backs
>>> so that we can still have sound-effects?
>>
>> No no no.  Hippos do not go SPLATTTTT.  It's whales that go SPLATTTT (a
>> "sudden wet thud" cf. Chp. 18)  Didn't you ever read The Hitchhiker's
>> Guide to the Galaxy?
>
> Ok, ok, whales go SPLATTTT.  Hippos go SPLATTT. :-)
> 	Igor

  No, whales go KERRRRRRRSQUELCHSLOSHSPPLATTTTTTTT.

  Whereas with hippos it's more of a WHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeBOOOOOMTHUDSPLATTT.

  I hope this helps clear matters up.

    cheers,
      DaveK

P.S.  By the time you can hear the 'WHEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee', it's already too
late to duck.

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-17 16:08             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-17 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> No no no.  Hippos do not go SPLATTTTT.  It's whales that go SPLATTTT (a
>>> "sudden wet thud" cf. Chp. 18)  Didn't you ever read The Hitchhiker's
>>> Guide to the Galaxy?
>>
>> Ok, ok, whales go SPLATTTT.  Hippos go SPLATTT. :-)
>> 	Igor
>

>   No, whales go KERRRRRRRSQUELCHSLOSHSPPLATTTTTTTT.
>
>   Whereas with hippos it's more of a
> WHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeBOOOOOMTHUDSPLATTT.
>

>   I hope this helps clear matters up.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
>

> P.S.  By the time you can hear the 'WHEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee', it's already too
> late to duck.

P.P.S.  Unless the hippo is wearing a parachute, of course!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-17 16:32               ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-17 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Yeah, that gives you about 5 seconds...
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-17 19:24                 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>   No, whales go KERRRRRRRSQUELCHSLOSHSPPLATTTTTTTT.
>>>
>>>   Whereas with hippos it's more of a
>>> WHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeBOOOOOMTHUDSPLATTT.
>>>
>>>   I hope this helps clear matters up.
>>>
>>>     cheers,
>>>       DaveK
>>>
>>> P.S.  By the time you can hear the 'WHEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee', it's already
>>> too late to duck.
>>
>> P.P.S.  Unless the hippo is wearing a parachute, of course!
>
> Yeah, that gives you about 5 seconds...
> 	Igor

  Well, that should be enough time to get out from under *most* hippos.
They're only a few yards from end to end, after all.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-18  0:07             ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2005-06-18  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:

>   No, whales go KERRRRRRRSQUELCHSLOSHSPPLATTTTTTTT.

I thought they go BOOOOM .... splat splat SPLAT SPLAAATTTTT (scream!)

(cf. http://www.snopes.com/critters/disposal/whale.htm)

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-18  6:49             ` Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2005-06-18  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>>> No no no.  Hippos do not go SPLATTTTT.  It's whales that go
>>> SPLATTTT (a "sudden wet thud" cf. Chp. 18)  Didn't you ever read
>>> The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
>>
>> Ok, ok, whales go SPLATTTT.  Hippos go SPLATTT. :-)
>> Igor
>

>  No, whales go KERRRRRRRSQUELCHSLOSHSPPLATTTTTTTT.
>
>  Whereas with hippos it's more of a
> WHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeBOOOOOMTHUDSPLATTT.

I'm confused.  But that's a different story...

Does the hippo go SPLATTT when it hits the custard?

Cary

* Re: cyg/lib DLL naming
@ 2005-06-20  1:11               ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-20  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Cary Jamison wrote:

> [...]

The hippo doesn't.  The custard does.
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-22  9:27                 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-22  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Cary Jamison wrote:

  Ah, I wondered what that noise was.

  I also wondered why all the walls and ceiling in here were covered in
custard...

    cheers,
      DaveK