public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-12 22:25 Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-12 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'B20 support forum'

I still wonder why B20 was upadted.  This was the most stable,
never broken Cygwin release and I'm still running it without
the need to ask for support forever!

G.

P.S.: I'll tell you where to fetch the famous cygwin-B20
       tarball if you ask me to do so ;)

* Re: DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-13  4:18 ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2005-07-13  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> I still wonder why B20 was upadted.  This was the most stable,
> never broken Cygwin release and I'm still running it without
> the need to ask for support forever!
>

> G.
>
> P.S.: I'll tell you where to fetch the famous cygwin-B20
>       tarball if you ask me to do so ;)

Would you be so kind to tell us where?

Thanks a lot!

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

* RE: DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-13  9:15 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-13  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'nostalgia isn't as good as it's going to have been
	looking back on it'

> I still wonder why B20 was upadted.  This was the most stable,
> never broken Cygwin release and I'm still running it without
> the need to ask for support forever!
>

> G.
>
> P.S.: I'll tell you where to fetch the famous cygwin-B20
>        tarball if you ask me to do so ;)

  I've always kept a copy lying around as well!

  IIRC, there was also a copy in the cygwin time machine when I was there
the other day.  [checks]  Yep.

ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b20.1/

  He's even got
ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b19.1/

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-13 11:03   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2005-07-13 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

>>I still wonder why B20 was upadted.  This was the most stable,
>>never broken Cygwin release and I'm still running it without
>>the need to ask for support forever!
>>

>>G.
>>
>>P.S.: I'll tell you where to fetch the famous cygwin-B20
>>       tarball if you ask me to do so ;)
>

>   I've always kept a copy lying around as well!
>
>   IIRC, there was also a copy in the cygwin time machine when I was there
> the other day.  [checks]  Yep.
>
> ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b20.1/
>
>   He's even got
> ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/b19.1/

Wow, I was not aware that B20 ever was updated!

I got my copy here:
http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/Cygwin-b20.exe

It is just 16 MB, but it is an absloute sophisticated one-click-install
POSIX emulation!

They use it to drive their Modula-3 compilers:
http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/

German HOWTO install Modula-3 on XP:
http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/informatik/praxis/programmiersprachen/modula3/installation/windows/windows.html

Translated shortref from this page:

- Install Cygwin-b20.exe
- copy cygwin1.dll to C:\WINDOWS\System32 !!!
- create C:\BIN
- copy SH.EXE to C:\BIN
- install PM3-BIN.EXE to C:\
- create C:\tmp\

READY

START --> Programs --> Cygnus Solutions --> Cygwin B20
Move around with the usual unix commands and if you find your .m3 files
and the m3makefile call m3build to invoke the compiler.

Isn't this great?
Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-13 23:39     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-07-13 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

"Gerrit P. Haase" wrote:

> Wow, I was not aware that B20 ever was updated!
>
> I got my copy here:
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/Cygwin-b20.exe
>
> It is just 16 MB, but it is an absloute sophisticated one-click-install
> POSIX emulation!
>
> They use it to drive their Modula-3 compilers:
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/modula3/
>
> German HOWTO install Modula-3 on XP:
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/informatik/praxis/programmiersprachen/modula3/installation/windows/windows.html

Shouldn't they have the source code available for this mythical B20
beast?  Or is that included in the .exe?  I really don't feel like
downloading it to find out.

Brian

* RE: DaveK's law of installation stability
@ 2005-07-13 23:42       ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2005-07-13 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List'

> > German HOWTO install Modula-3 on XP:
> >
> http://www.1o0.de/wi-links/informatik/praxis/programmiersprachen/modul
> > a3/installation/windows/windows.html
>
> Shouldn't they have the source code available for this
> mythical B20 beast?  Or is that included in the .exe?  I
> really don't feel like downloading it to find out.
>
> Brian

<sarcasm>
You don't feel like downloading Modula-3?  I have now officially heard
everything.
</sarcasm>

--
Gary R. Van Sickle