public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-22 17:47 Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2005-07-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

This is perhaps offtopic, but this is the offtopic list right? ;)
(Obligatory hippo here.)

I have an email I intend to eventually send to the cygwin mailing list. (I
started writing it over a year ago).
It describes setting up GNU Emacs under Cygwin/X and then setting up a
context menu item in Explorer.

I will be posting the message to the list As-Is. That means that I will not
support it. It works for me, I'm just sharing it.

However I would like to be certain that it works. Therefore I would like to
have somebody with access to a computer without cygwin, or is willing to
unintall cygwin to try the procedure beginning with only the base cygwin
install.

If anybody is willing to help I will send a .eml.bz2 file which can be
loaded into outlook or outlook express (one un-bziped of course).  The
procedure should be attempted. If problems are found, send them to me. Also
I would like suggestions relating to making the email easier to understand.

Please CC me with your reply as I am not subscribed to cygwin-talk. I will
send the file I listed above via private email.

PS: (Despite using Cygwin/X the procedure is of interest to all cygwin
users, so that is why I intend to send it to the main cygwin list.)

PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?

* Re: Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-22 18:19 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-22 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?

We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family and
try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left eye.

I'm sure that, in time, you'll come to feel similarly.

cgf

* Re: Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-22 18:33   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-22 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:06:20PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>>PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?
>
>We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family and
>try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left eye.
                  too

@ 2005-07-22 19:00     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-22 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Can anyone join in?  It must be my go by now!

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 02:06:20PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>>> PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?
>>
>> We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family and
>> try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left eye.
>                   too
                    three
>> I'm sure that, in time, you'll come to feel similarly.
>>
>> cgf

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-22 22:27   ` Tacvek
From: Tacvek @ 2005-07-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>>PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?
>
> We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family and
> try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left eye.
>
> I'm sure that, in time, you'll come to feel similarly.
Very funny ;), although if you don't mind beinging serious for a moment, I
would apprieciate it as the post is serious in its nature, but is not really
appropriate for the main list, yet there is no other good mailing list for
it.

* Re: Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-22 22:33     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-07-22 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Tacvek wrote:

> > On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:31:41PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> > > PPS: What is the attachment policy of on the main cygwin list?
> >
> > We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family and
> > try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left eye.
> >
> > I'm sure that, in time, you'll come to feel similarly.
>
> Very funny ;), although if you don't mind beinging serious for a moment,
> I would apprieciate it as the post is serious in its nature, but is not
> really appropriate for the main list, yet there is no other good mailing
> list for it.

Why isn't this appropriate for the main list?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Request for test my 'Emacs this file' using Cygwin/X GNU Emacs Context menu option.
@ 2005-07-23 16:36       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-23 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 06:27:50PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>>We're all very attached to the cygwin list.  We treat it like family
>>>and try not to stare two long at the disfiguring mole under its left
>>>eye.
>>>
>>>I'm sure that, in time, you'll come to feel similarly.
>>
>>Very funny ;), although if you don't mind beinging serious for a
>>moment, I would apprieciate it as the post is serious in its nature,
>>but is not really appropriate for the main list, yet there is no other
>>good mailing list for it.
>
>Why isn't this appropriate for the main list?

Because it doesn't mention h...

No, wait.  That's not right.  I think I got it backwards.

Now I'm all confused.

Is this the list where we are supposed to have serious technical
discussions or is that the cygwin-cvs list?

cgf