public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: sending an empty UDP packet.
       [not found] <20060630110904.GS18873@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2006-06-30 13:27 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'the sound of one packet flapping'

On 30 June 2006 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 30 19:18, Tanaka Akira wrote:
>> Hi.  I have a trouble to send an empty UDP packet.
>
> Thanks for the bug report and especially the testcase.  It's incredible
> but the check for a zero length packet has been introduced in 2002, 4
> years ago, and nobody has ever complained that it's wrong.  Wow.  Almost
> embarrassing.
>
> I've fixed that in current CVS.  Check the next snapshot from
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots or wait for 1.5.20, which is really
> due soon now.

  Sending no data with unreliable delivery (of that no data) is a bit too zen
for most, I guess ...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: sending an empty UDP packet.
@ 2006-06-30 13:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2006-06-30 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'the sound of one packet flapping'

On Jun 30 14:27, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 June 2006 12:09, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Jun 30 19:18, Tanaka Akira wrote:
> >> Hi.  I have a trouble to send an empty UDP packet.
> >
> > Thanks for the bug report and especially the testcase.  It's incredible
> > but the check for a zero length packet has been introduced in 2002, 4
> > years ago, and nobody has ever complained that it's wrong.  Wow.  Almost
> > embarrassing.
> >
> > I've fixed that in current CVS.  Check the next snapshot from
> > http://cygwin.com/snapshots or wait for 1.5.20, which is really
> > due soon now.
>
>   Sending no data with unreliable delivery (of that no data) is a bit too zen
> for most, I guess ...

Agreed.  I'm still scratching my head what sending an empty UDP packet
is good for, but it's perfectly valid.

Corinna