public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27  6:40 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-06-27  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

> > I don't think the Cygwin project can allow two weeks of vacation
> > from a key resource.
>
>   I've dispatched the hippos.  They'll drag him back, one way or another ...

But do they know where to find me?  At any rate, it looks like I will now be
spending the rest of my vacation in fear, looking over my shoulder to see
what that loud noise was...
--
Eric Blake

* Re: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27  8:08 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2008-06-27  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Eric Blake wrote:
>>> I don't think the Cygwin project can allow two weeks of vacation
>>> from a key resource.
>>   I've dispatched the hippos.  They'll drag him back, one way or another ...
>
> But do they know where to find me?

The hippos have your IP now.  You think *you* know traceroute?  No, the
hippos can tell you about traceroute, when they find you.  It's only a
matter of time.

* RE: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27 12:44 ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2008-06-27 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a gloomy Friday, the 27th day of June, 2008, Eric Blake's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> > > I don't think the Cygwin project can allow two weeks of vacation
> > > from a key resource.
>
> ...it looks like I will now be spending the rest of my vacation in
> fear...

Ooh, where's that?  Is that a fun place to be?  How long is the flight
from the US?  Do you need a visa?

OAU

P.S. Me too.

* RE: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27 17:26   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 've haff vays of makink you code!'

One Angry User wrote on 27 June 2008 13:45:

> On a gloomy Friday, the 27th day of June, 2008, Eric Blake's computer
> deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>> ...it looks like I will now be spending the rest of my vacation in
>> fear...
>
> Ooh, where's that?  Is that a fun place to be?  How long is the flight
> from the US?  Do you need a visa?

  No, you don't need a visa, in fact you don't even need a ticket, the
itinerary goes something like this:

1.  Escape from Cygwin
2.  Hippo pursuit
3.  Guantanamo bay
4.  ???
5.  Open source!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27 17:31     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 06:26:16PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>One Angry User wrote on 27 June 2008 13:45:
>
>> On a gloomy Friday, the 27th day of June, 2008, Eric Blake's computer
>> deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> ...it looks like I will now be spending the rest of my vacation in
>>> fear...
>>
>> Ooh, where's that?  Is that a fun place to be?  How long is the flight
>> from the US?  Do you need a visa?
>
>  No, you don't need a visa, in fact you don't even need a ticket, the
>itinerary goes something like this:
>
>1.  Escape from Cygwin
>2.  Hippo pursuit
>3.  Guantanamo bay
>4.  ???
>5.  Open source!

Btw, the reason that linux has such a small market share has got to
be due to the fact that Hippos aren't very stealthy.  Despite the
ninja outfits, I suspect that Eric will have plenty of time to plan
his escape since he'll notice the hippos coming well in advance of
their arrival.

I think Microsoft uses wolverines for their retrieval process.

cgf

* Re: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-07-11 23:51     ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-07-11 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

* Re: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-27  1:08     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-27  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:16:39AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote on 25 June 2008 20:40:
>>On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:49:55PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>>>Unfortunately, this caught me at the start of a 2-week vacation;
>>
>>What???  Did you clear this with anyone?
>>
>>I don't think the Cygwin project can allow two weeks of vacation from a
>>key resource.
>
>I've dispatched the hippos.  They'll drag him back, one way or another

Thank you Smithers.

Excellent.

cgf

* RE: perl-5.10.0-4 going curr?
@ 2008-06-26 23:17   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-06-26 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'a hippo always gets his weeeEEEEEEEKERRSPLATTTHUMPP!'

       [not found] <062520081449.16554.48625B130000FFB3000040AA22070208530A050E040D0C079D0A@comcast.net>
@ 2008-06-25 19:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-06-25 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 02:49:55PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>Unfortunately, this caught me at the start of a 2-week vacation;

What???  Did you clear this with anyone?

I don't think the Cygwin project can allow two weeks of vacation
from a key resource.

Maybe a couple of days, I could see but how is free software going to
survive if people keep taking vacations?  This tendency for open source
people to "go on vacation" shows a clear focus on fun and that's why
open source will *never* be taken seriously.

cgf