public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd
       [not found]     ` <20100504163914.GO1845@calimero.vinschen.de>
@ 2010-05-04 17:18       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2010-05-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

> On May  4 12:21, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>> oy
>
> -v?

No, that does something different.  You mean

	$ oy --vey

* Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd
@ 2010-05-04 19:27         ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2010-05-04 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 5/4/2010 1:17 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>> On May  4 12:21, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>> oy
>>
>> -v?
>
> No, that does something different.  You mean
>
>     $ oy --vey

Deferring to Corinna's native language (?), as best I can (my apologies,
in advance):

Wie weh tut mein finger.
Wie weh tut mein fuss.
Wie weh tut mir alles!
Wann, die 3PPs "schuss"!?

;-)

Having said that, I believe I first found out about Cygwin, years ago,
from a CD. Before that I had been a user of MKS, and later Thompson
Toolkits.

But, now we have the Internet, and FLOSS is the medium and message of that.

Sorry, to get temporarily semi-serious on this list.

semiseriousLee ;-)

* Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd
@ 2010-05-04 20:06           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-05-04 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:26:59PM -0400, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>On 5/4/2010 1:17 PM, Warren Young wrote:
>>>
>>> -v?
>>
>> No, that does something different.  You mean
>>
>>     $ oy --vey
>>

>Deferring to Corinna's native language (?), as best I can (my apologies,
>in advance):
>
>Wie weh tut mein finger.
>Wie weh tut mein fuss.
>Wie weh tut mir alles!
>Wann, die 3PPs "schuss"!?
>
>;-)
>
>Having said that, I believe I first found out about Cygwin, years ago,
>from a CD. Before that I had been a user of MKS, and later Thompson
>Toolkits.

Was it the dearly lamented Cygwin CD that I fought tooth and nail to have
Cygnus release?  That experience will be in my memoirs some day...

I was supposedly in charge of the project but I'd get email telling me
that a meeting had been held and everyone had decided not to include
"perl" in the distribution.

Good times...

cgf

* Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd
@ 2010-05-05 17:05             ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2010-05-05 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

 >> Deferring to Corinna's native language (?), as best I can (my
apologies,
 >> in advance):

 >> Wie weh tut mein finger.
 >> Wie weh tut mein fuss.
 >> Wie weh tut mir alles!
 >> Wann, die 3PPs "schuss"!?

 >> ;-)

 >> Having said that, I believe I first found out about Cygwin, years ago,
 >> from a CD. Before that I had been a user of MKS, and later Thompson
 >> Toolkits.

(The big difference between Thompson and MKS, is that Thompson worked. ;-))

 > Was it the dearly lamented Cygwin CD that I fought tooth and nail to have
 > Cygnus release?  That experience will be in my memoirs some day...

My vague memory is that I was in some hacker bookstore, and they
had a bunch of bargain CDs. I bought several along with one or
two ORA books. One had Cygwin along with some other stuff. Others
included Knoppix, a Perl-only CD, Yggdrasil, and some gawdawful
share- and free-ware.

I was hooked on FLOSS.

 > I was supposedly in charge of the project but I'd get email telling me
 > that a meeting had been held and everyone had decided not to include
 > "perl" in the distribution.

Corporate development. Sigh! (I worked at DEC for a time. If the
"force was with them", that force must have been militant
ignorance ... ;-) )

 > Good times...

Do I "detect" a symphony of sarcasm? A note of noxiousness? A
tome of tomatoes, rotten? ;-)

 > cgf

Lee

* Re: Computer magazine CHIP asks for permission to distribute "cygwin" on its cover-cd
@ 2010-05-05 17:44               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-05-05 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:05:20PM -0400, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>Do I "detect" a symphony of sarcasm?  A note of noxiousness?  A tome of
>tomatoes, rotten?  ;-)

Let me put it this way:  Before this experience my motto was "We're Just Helpful"

cgf