public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
       [not found] <LLEBLEDLPAKFHFKGNDBMCEIJCBAA.KBarticle889459@aim.com>
@ 2006-06-16 14:06 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 15 June 2006 22:29, Charli Li wrote:

>>> For example, build the loopdll.dll and runloop.exe from the following
>>> sources using the gcc and m$ compilers as indicated:
>>
>> Isn't the m'$' compiler you're using actually free?  If so, the dollar
>> sign appears to be misplaced.
>
> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.  The
> only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.

  Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in "here's
the sources".

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 14:26   ` Williams, Gerald S (Jerry)
From: Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) @ 2006-06-16 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

Dave Korn wrote:
>   Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
> "here's the sources".

Yes, they give the beer away for free but charge you to
use the toilet. Excellent analogy. :-)

gsw

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 14:37     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'rather a long lunch this friday afternoon......'

On 16 June 2006 15:27, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>>   Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
>> "here's the sources".
>
> Yes, they give the beer away for free but charge you to
> use the toilet.

  Or as we say in reference to pubs and bars, "You don't buy beer - you only
rent it"!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 15:30   ` Christopher Faylor
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 03:05:56PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>>Isn't the m'$' compiler you're using actually free?  If so, the dollar
>>>sign appears to be misplaced.
>>
>>Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.
>>The only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.
>
>Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
>"here's the sources".

Still the continued use of the '$' in Microsoft's name has gotten sort
of old.  Is it supposed to be funny?  It can't possibly be funny since
it's been used 8,397,423,921 times in usenet and in mailing lists.

Is it supposed to be a condemnation of the fact that a corporation is in
it for the money?  Well, duh.

Is it supposed to be a political commentary about the evilness of
Microsoft?  Sorry, but I don't see the "$" as a mark of the devil.

I guess it's part of our usenet culture now but, like so many repetitive
trends on the CygWin board, I'm sick of it.  It seems to me, that the
philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
umbrella stands?  I am a long time CygWin user and I think that, if
CygWin is to truly evolve, it should move beyond Microsoft platforms and
possibly even consider running directly on LinUX rather than emulating
it.

Think about it.  Then we could run rpm natively and use real inodes.  It
wouldn't loop endlessly when installing Windows Service Packs because there
would be *no* windows service packs to install!  It would be straight
LinUX all of the way!

I don't have time to implement this myself because I have to pee really
bad right now but I think this deserves quite a bit of discussion.  I
think that you should all explain why this is a bad idea to me
repeatedly so that I can feel important while I continue to remind you
that I have to pee and can't do anything other than send email and
make the same points over and over again.

What is wrong with this scenario?  Are you all just cowards?  Is that
why you haven't already implemented my insightful plan?

Also, I think if Cygwin is truly to survive, it should not be encumbered
by the GDL.  You should not need a driver's license to use software!
I've been programming for 47 years and it is ridiculous to force this
on users.

cgf

* Re: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 15:57     ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-06-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a sunny Friday, the 16th day of June, 2006, Christopher Faylor's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> >>Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.
> >>The only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.
> >
> >Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
> >"here's the sources".
>
> Still the continued use of the '$' in Microsoft's name has gotten sort
> of old.  Is it supposed to be funny?  It can't possibly be funny since
> it's been used 8,397,423,921 times in usenet and in mailing lists.
>
> Is it supposed to be a condemnation of the fact that a corporation is in
> it for the money?  Well, duh.
>
> Is it supposed to be a political commentary about the evilness of
> Microsoft?  Sorry, but I don't see the "$" as a mark of the devil.
>
> I guess it's part of our usenet culture now but, like so many repetitive
> trends on the CygWin board, I'm sick of it.  It seems to me, that the
> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
> umbrella stands?  I am a long time CygWin user and I think that, if
> CygWin is to truly evolve, it should move beyond Microsoft platforms and
> possibly even consider running directly on LinUX rather than emulating
> it.
>
> Think about it.  Then we could run rpm natively and use real inodes.  It
> wouldn't loop endlessly when installing Windows Service Packs because there
> would be *no* windows service packs to install!  It would be straight
> LinUX all of the way!
>
> I don't have time to implement this myself because I have to pee really
> bad right now but I think this deserves quite a bit of discussion.  I
> think that you should all explain why this is a bad idea to me
> repeatedly so that I can feel important while I continue to remind you
> that I have to pee and can't do anything other than send email and
> make the same points over and over again.
>
> What is wrong with this scenario?  Are you all just cowards?  Is that
> why you haven't already implemented my insightful plan?
>
> Also, I think if Cygwin is truly to survive, it should not be encumbered
> by the GDL.  You should not need a driver's license to use software!
> I've been programming for 47 years and it is ridiculous to force this
> on users.

Surprisingly, that actually sounded like a message from Ed C. Lueless...

OAU

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 16:08     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 16 June 2006 16:30, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is free; all other editions are not.
>>> The only thing us Cygwin users use from MSVC++8 is cl.
>>
>> Wrong kind of free, though.  It's free as in beer, not free as in
>> "here's the sources".
>
> Still the continued use of the '$' in Microsoft's name has gotten sort
> of old.  Is it supposed to be funny?  It can't possibly be funny since
> it's been used 8,397,423,921 times in usenet and in mailing lists.
>
> Is it supposed to be a condemnation of the fact that a corporation is in
> it for the money?  Well, duh.
>
> Is it supposed to be a political commentary about the evilness of
> Microsoft?  Sorry, but I don't see the "$" as a mark of the devil.

  I don't know and I don't care - as far as I'm concerned, free beer[*] is a
Good Thing!

> I guess it's part of our usenet culture now but, like so many repetitive
> trends on the CygWin board, I'm sick of it.  It seems to me, that the
> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
> umbrella stands?  I am a long time CygWin user and I think that, if
> CygWin is to truly evolve, it should move beyond Microsoft platforms and
> possibly even consider running directly on LinUX rather than emulating
> it.
>
> Think about it.  Then we could run rpm natively and use real inodes.  It
> wouldn't loop endlessly when installing Windows Service Packs because there
> would be *no* windows service packs to install!  It would be straight
> LinUX all of the way!
>
> I don't have time to implement this myself because I have to pee really
> bad right now but I think this deserves quite a bit of discussion.

  Hey!  I really need to pee too, and I've been waiting ages, and nobody's
done anything about it yet!  When do you think you will have this pee patch
ready?  I can't believe I've been waiting all this time for a piss and cygwin
still hasn't sorted it out yet!  Don't you want to make cygwin even more
useful for your customers?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - Obviously this excludes budweiser et al. (see archives for full details)

* Re: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 16:12       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-06-16 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:57:48AM -0400, One Angry User wrote:
>> Also, I think if Cygwin is truly to survive, it should not be encumbered
>> by the GDL.  You should not need a driver's license to use software!
>> I've been programming for 47 years and it is ridiculous to force this
>> on users.
>
>Surprisingly, that actually sounded like a message from Ed C. Lueless...

Oops!

cgf

* Re: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 19:44     ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-06-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> It seems to me, that the
> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
> umbrella stands?

Um, I think you meant "peach, love, and *fruit* stands" (or is that
"peach, passion fruit, and..." um...) ;-)

--
Matthew
...Ruthlessly beating Windows with a hammer until it looks like POSIX.

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 19:47       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-06-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'like a banana'

On 16 June 2006 20:43, mwoehlke wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> It seems to me, that the
>> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
>> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
>> umbrella stands?
>
> Um, I think you meant "peach, love, and *fruit* stands" (or is that
> "peach, passion fruit, and..." um...) ;-)

  I don't know how fruit stands, but I know how it flies!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 20:12         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-06-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a sunny Friday, the 16th day of June, 2006, Dave Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On 16 June 2006 20:43, mwoehlke wrote:
>
> > Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> It seems to me, that the
> >> philsophy of CygWin should allow tolerance for all people and all
> >> corporations.  Isn't CygWin supposed to promote peach, love, and
> >> umbrella stands?
> >
> > Um, I think you meant "peach, love, and *fruit* stands" (or is that
> > "peach, passion fruit, and..." um...) ;-)
>
>   I don't know how fruit stands, but I know how it flies!

Yep, "time flies like sand, fruit flies like bananas".

OAU

* RE: GDB Ctrl-C Interrupt Fails WORKAROUND
@ 2006-06-16 21:35           ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2006-06-16 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blaaab Babble Boogle Bop

One Angry User wrote:
> On a sunny Friday, the 16th day of June, 2006, Dave Korn's computer
> deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Um, I think you meant "peach, love, and *fruit* stands" (or is that
>>> "peach, passion fruit, and..." um...) ;-)
>>
>>   I don't know how fruit stands, but I know how it flies!
>
> Yep, "time flies like sand, fruit flies like bananas".
>
> OAU

I though it was "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."