public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 11:23 Vincent Richomme
From: Vincent Richomme @ 2010-03-11 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi,

I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
curious
to see ls.exe source code.
Where do you put its source code ?

Thanks

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 12:13 ` Vincent Richomme
From: Vincent Richomme @ 2010-03-11 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:23:33 +0100, Vincent Richomme
<forumer@smartmobili.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
> curious
> to see ls.exe source code.
> Where do you put its source code ?

Actually I don't think I am interested in ls.exe but more in cygwin
sources
path.cc, fhandler ... because I am searching how you handle junction
points
and symlinks(>= vista).

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:02   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-03-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Vincent Richomme:
>> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
>> curious
>> to see ls.exe source code.
>> Where do you put its source code ?
>>
> Actually I don't think I am interested in ls.exe but more in cygwin
> sources
> path.cc, fhandler ... because I am searching how you handle junction
> points
> and symlinks(>= vista).

The Cygwin sources are openly secret. Or secretly open?

http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

Andy

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:11     ` Vincent Richomme
From: Vincent Richomme @ 2010-03-11 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:02:12 +0000, Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Vincent Richomme:
>>> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
>>> curious
>>> to see ls.exe source code.
>>> Where do you put its source code ?
>>>
>> Actually I don't think I am interested in ls.exe but more in cygwin
>> sources
>> path.cc, fhandler ... because I am searching how you handle junction
>> points
>> and symlinks(>= vista).
>
> The Cygwin sources are openly secret. Or secretly open?
>
> http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

Thanks but of course I know where to find them! What I first didn't find
was
sources of ls, dir ...
But now I founf them in coreutils, I thougt you had some patches inside
your cygwin repository

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:17       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2010-03-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Couth and Ruly Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On 11/03/2010 13:11, Vincent Richomme wrote:

> Thanks but of course I know where to find them! What I first didn't find
> was sources of ls, dir ... But now I founf them in coreutils, I thougt you
> had some patches inside your cygwin repository

  All cygwin packages come with self-contained sources installable through
setup.exe.  Although they depend on the headers and libs from the DLL there
are no patches there for them; the patches (if any) are distributed along with
the upstream source tarball in the related source package.

  Also, next time you aren't sure what package contains a given exe:

> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/ls.exe
> coreutils-7.0-2
>
> $

  Also, we're veering dangerously on topic here.... quickly, someone do or say
something stupid!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:17     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-03-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Mar 11 13:02, Andy Koppe wrote:
> Vincent Richomme:
> >> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
> >> curious
> >> to see ls.exe source code.
> >> Where do you put its source code ?
> >>
> > Actually I don't think I am interested in ls.exe but more in cygwin
> > sources
> > path.cc, fhandler ... because I am searching how you handle junction
> > points
> > and symlinks(>= vista).
>
> The Cygwin sources are openly secret. Or secretly open?

They are of course secret.  We're using the famous cryptographic encoding
called "C++".  Only hippos really have a chance to break it.

Corinna

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:19       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2010-03-11 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hooray hippos at last

On 11/03/2010 13:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> They are of course secret.  We're using the famous cryptographic encoding
> called "C++".  Only hippos really have a chance to break it.

  Hippos can break anything!  Assuming they fall from a sufficient height!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:25         ` Vincent Richomme
From: Vincent Richomme @ 2010-03-11 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

> On 11/03/2010 13:11, Vincent Richomme wrote:
>
>> Thanks but of course I know where to find them! What I first didn't
find
>> was sources of ls, dir ... But now I founf them in coreutils, I thougt
>> you
>> had some patches inside your cygwin repository
>
>   All cygwin packages come with self-contained sources installable
through
> setup.exe.  Although they depend on the headers and libs from the DLL
there
> are no patches there for them; the patches (if any) are distributed
along
> with
> the upstream source tarball in the related source package.
>
>   Also, next time you aren't sure what package contains a given exe:
>
>> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/ls.exe
>> coreutils-7.0-2
>>
>> $

Thanks I forgot we could download sources from installer.

>   Also, we're veering dangerously on topic here.... quickly, someone do
or
>   say
> something stupid!

Stop that immediately ;-)

* RE: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 13:29         ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2010-03-11 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:35:56 +0000
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: ls sources
>
> On 11/03/2010 13:11, Vincent Richomme wrote:
>
>> Thanks but of course I know where to find them! What I first didn't find
>> was sources of ls, dir ... But now I founf them in coreutils, I thougt you
>> had some patches inside your cygwin repository
>
> All cygwin packages come with self-contained sources installable through
> setup.exe. Although they depend on the headers and libs from the DLL there
> are no patches there for them; the patches (if any) are distributed along with
> the upstream source tarball in the related source package.
>
> Also, next time you aren't sure what package contains a given exe:
>
>> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/ls.exe
>> coreutils-7.0-2
>>
>> $
>
> Also, we're veering dangerously on topic here.... quickly, someone do or say
> something stupid!

When I claimed to be leader of the stupid posters in response to redaction
requ, no one stepped up to respond to my complement fishing. Why ? I wanna
no why?  I've never seen a better invitation to prove me wrong. LOL.

So, you now have an obligation to answer dumb questions and make
us appear intelligent? Can we also have you insert posts into the archive
with a requested date?

> cheers,
> DaveK

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469227/direct/01/

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 14:51 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2010-03-11 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 03/11/2010 04:23 AM, Vincent Richomme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
> curious
> to see ls.exe source code.
> Where do you put its source code ?

The hippos are telling me that I must update those sources...

Look for an experimental 8.4-1 soon ;)

* Re: ls sources
@ 2010-03-11 15:04   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-03-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cleaning Up After Hippos List

Eric Blake:
>> I wanted to see how cygwin works in certain circumstances and I was
>> curious
>> to see ls.exe source code.
>> Where do you put its source code ?
>
> The hippos are telling me that I must update those sources...

After they fell on them. Typical.

A.