public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
       [not found]                 ` <va3kd4986modtm6kege7v0oif8r5468f7o@4ax.com>
@ 2008-09-24 14:37                   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-09-24 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:57:53AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>I was merely pointing out (subtly and repetitively) that cygwin is an
>>application layer on top of Windows.
>
>WOW! Are you sure?  Wait a minute, let me check this out...
>
>OK, HE'S RIGHT! Christopher and Corinna, can we please bring this guy
>on as some kind of paid consultant?  I think you might need his help.
>I mean, with all of us posting on this list for so many years, and
>developing Cygwin and creating packages for it and all, none of us ever
>figured this out! And here comes Barry, posting for the first time
>ever, and he is showing us a thing or two!

I'm withholding comment on this humorous response in this mailing list
and moving it to cygwin-talk.

I don't mind humor at all here but I suspect that this particular
discussion would have a tendency to be protracted and inappropriate if
allowed to continue here.

cgf

* Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
@ 2008-09-24 14:49                     ` Christopher Faylor
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-09-24 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:57:53AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>I was merely pointing out (subtly and repetitively) that cygwin is an
>>application layer on top of Windows.
>
>WOW! Are you sure?  Wait a minute, let me check this out...
>
>OK, HE'S RIGHT! Christopher and Corinna, can we please bring this guy
>on as some kind of paid consultant?  I think you might need his help.
>I mean, with all of us posting on this list for so many years, and
>developing Cygwin and creating packages for it and all, none of us ever
>figured this out! And here comes Barry, posting for the first time
>ever, and he is showing us a thing or two!

Excellent observations Andrew! *grin*

It doesn't stop there either.  Did you realize that you could put
anything you wanted in c:\cygwin\bin?  I now have added all of my wife's
recipes there and they work JUST FINE.  She just made a ginger noodle
chicken thing last night and it was DELICIOUS.  *belch*

I don't know why Charles Wilson hates recipes.  Apparently he never
eats. *smirk*

Btw, I am an unprofessional programmer so I *know what I'm doing*.  If
you want to try the experiment of moving files to c:\cygwin\bin I would
caution anyone else who wants to try this to take it slow, stay
hydrated, and, above all, don't flood it.

*right finger in ear, wiggle vigorously*

cgf

* RE: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
@ 2008-09-24 14:55                       ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2008-09-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:48:28 -0400
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 05:57:53AM -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:
>>>I was merely pointing out (subtly and repetitively) that cygwin is an
>>>application layer on top of Windows.
>>
>>WOW! Are you sure? Wait a minute, let me check this out...
>>
>>OK, HE'S RIGHT! Christopher and Corinna, can we please bring this guy
>>on as some kind of paid consultant? I think you might need his help.
>>I mean, with all of us posting on this list for so many years, and
>>developing Cygwin and creating packages for it and all, none of us ever
>>figured this out! And here comes Barry, posting for the first time
>>ever, and he is showing us a thing or two!
>
> Excellent observations Andrew! *grin*
>
> It doesn't stop there either. Did you realize that you could put
> anything you wanted in c:\cygwin\bin? I now have added all of my wife's
> recipes there and they work JUST FINE. She just made a ginger noodle
> chicken thing last night and it was DELICIOUS. *belch*

Did you see my earlier post where someone used cygwin to facilitate reordering
of the Lehman Bros death contest? It seems the world is in need of remedial
applications. I still can't figure out how you can process textual information
without a gui and even with Flash disabled.
LOL.

> I don't know why Charles Wilson hates recipes. Apparently he never
> eats. *smirk*
>
> Btw, I am an unprofessional programmer so I *know what I'm doing*. If
> you want to try the experiment of moving files to c:\cygwin\bin I would
> caution anyone else who wants to try this to take it slow, stay
> hydrated, and, above all, don't flood it.
>
> *right finger in ear, wiggle vigorously*
>
> cgf

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka@hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.
Note:  hotmail is getting cumbersom, try also marchywka@yahoo.com

* RE: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
@ 2008-09-24 22:08                       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-09-24 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote on 24 September 2008 15:48:

> It doesn't stop there either.  Did you realize that you could put
> anything you wanted in c:\cygwin\bin?  I now have added all of my wife's
> recipes there and they work JUST FINE.

  Won't it hurt her feelings if you put all her recipes in /bin?  I'd try
subtly feeding them to the dog under the table when her head's turned instead.

> She just made a ginger noodle
> chicken thing last night and it was DELICIOUS.  *belch*

  Seems like a shame to /bin it then!

> Btw, I am an unprofessional programmer so I *know what I'm doing*.

  Oh, good, maybe you can recommend me a checksum that's too small to checksum
any more than a gig of data?  I need it for my zipfiles.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
@ 2008-09-27 14:45                       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-09-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I don't know why Charles Wilson hates recipes.  Apparently he never
> eats. *smirk*

Recipes are the work of Satan. Food should be cooked using the time
tested traditions of our foremothers, who knew that "just a dash of
this" and "a few more touches of that" create a healthy and tasty meal
without dabbling in heretical notions of "recipes" and other assorted
devil worship.

--
Chuck

* Re: [OT] polite response to polite response - Brian...
@ 2008-09-28  6:49                         ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2008-09-28  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>

>> I don't know why Charles Wilson hates recipes.  Apparently he never
>> eats. *smirk*
>>

> Recipes are the work of Satan. Food should be cooked using the time
> tested traditions of our foremothers, who knew that "just a dash of
> this" and "a few more touches of that" create a healthy and tasty meal
> without dabbling in heretical notions of "recipes" and other assorted
> devil worship.
>
> --
> Chuck

Charles, Funny, and, best of all, hippopotamusless!

--
Lee D. Rothstein
VeriTech