public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Installing Cygwin
@ 2009-06-08 16:20 David Dews
From: David Dews @ 2009-06-08 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Just tried to download and run Eclipse Ganymede (C/C++ IDE) on a Windows
platform from scratch using the notes found at
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tips/CPP_Dev_eclipse_CDT.aspx.

The Windows platform is standalone (ie. not connected to the internet). MinGW
(as recommended) assumes internet connectability (as does Cygwin).

What Cygwin files do I need to download to simply get "make", "gcc" and "gdb" to
work on the command line?

Many Thanks.

* Re: Installing Cygwin
@ 2009-06-09  0:24 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2009-06-09  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

David Dews wrote:

> What Cygwin files do I need to download to simply get "make", "gcc" and "gdb" to
> work on the command line?

Create a new folder, put setup.exe in that, then set up Cygwin on that
machine to your liking.  You will end up with a folder containing
setup.exe and a directory named after the Cygwin mirror you downloaded
from, containing the packages you downloaded and setup.ini.

You can then move that entire tree to the other machine using, say, a
CD-R or USB stick.  When you run setup.exe there, say "Install from
Local Directory" instead of "Install from Internet".  Make the same
package selections on the next screen, and you will get the same setup
as on the machine you downloaded from.

To update this non-connected copy of Cygwin, simply update Cygwin on the
Internet-connected machine, then copy the setup.exe-and-packages tree
back over to the disconnected one, in the same place as before.  Run
setup.exe again, and just click through, accepting all the defaults to
update your packages.  (The second time through, setup.exe knows what
packages you have installed, so you don't have to re-select them.)

It's not necessary that the connected and disconnected machines have the
same package sets.  It's only necessary that this merged download tree
contain a superset of the packages required on all machines that use it.
  So, if you have multiple installation profiles, you can build up a
merged download tree containing the superset of packages that all of
your profiles require, selecting just the packages you need on each
given machine you install on.

At work, we get this behavior simply by putting setup.exe and the
download sub-folder on a shared network drive, which everyone just
installs from, so that each updated package gets downloaded from the
mirrors just once.