public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Permission problems in release-2
       [not found]           ` <20090612141040.GB26444@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2009-06-13  2:13             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-06-13  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:25:21AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Ok, so the option doesn't seem to work as advertised.  I've removed it.
>>>
>>> Anyone who creates files in release-2 should set their umask to 2.
>>> That seems to work as it should.
>> Not when using cpio -dump, unfortunately.
>>
>> I'm wondering about the reason for this new permission problem.  Can't
>> we just return to the old behaviour?
>
> I AM trying to reinstate the old behavior.
>
> We had a system crash last week.  I'm assuming that the new behavior is
> due to that.  Probably we started running new version of fuse which
> caused this change.
>
> It's either that or I'm just being mean, made an arbitrary change, and
> am gloating over all of the inconvenience I've caused.
>
> cgf

  Shouldn't you be twirling your mustachios and cackling fiendishly before
disappearing with a dramatic swirl of your cloak in that case?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Permission problems in release-2
@ 2009-06-13  2:30               ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-06-13  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:25:20AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>Not when using cpio -dump, unfortunately.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering about the reason for this new permission problem.  Can't
>>>we just return to the old behaviour?
>>
>>I AM trying to reinstate the old behavior.
>>
>>We had a system crash last week.  I'm assuming that the new behavior is
>>due to that.  Probably we started running new version of fuse which
>>caused this change.
>>
>>It's either that or I'm just being mean, made an arbitrary change, and
>>am gloating over all of the inconvenience I've caused.
>
>Shouldn't you be twirling your mustachios and cackling fiendishly
>before disappearing with a dramatic swirl of your cloak in that case?

Unfortunately I'm still growing my mustache out after an unfortunate
encounter with an Acme Blow Torch.  Somebody distracted me and turned
the nozzle around while I wasn't looking.

Hmm.  I think I may be conflating Snidely Whiplash with Elmer Fudd here.

cgf

* Re: Permission problems in release-2
@ 2009-06-13 11:41                 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-06-13 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Acme Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 03:25:20AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> I AM trying to reinstate the old behavior.
>>>
>>> We had a system crash last week.  I'm assuming that the new behavior is
>>> due to that.  Probably we started running new version of fuse which
>>> caused this change.
>>>
>>> It's either that or I'm just being mean, made an arbitrary change, and
>>> am gloating over all of the inconvenience I've caused.
>> Shouldn't you be twirling your mustachios and cackling fiendishly
>> before disappearing with a dramatic swirl of your cloak in that case?
>
> Unfortunately I'm still growing my mustache out after an unfortunate
> encounter with an Acme Blow Torch.  Somebody distracted me and turned
> the nozzle around while I wasn't looking.
>
> Hmm.  I think I may be conflating Snidely Whiplash with Elmer Fudd here.
>
> cgf

  Surely if you're an Acme customer and their inventions keep blowing up in
your face, you must be Wile E. Coyote?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Permission problems in release-2
@ 2009-06-15 16:38                 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2009-06-15 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Unfortunately I'm still growing my mustache out after an unfortunate
> encounter with an Acme Blow Torch.  Somebody distracted me and turned
> the nozzle around while I wasn't looking.
>
> Hmm.  I think I may be conflating Snidely Whiplash with Elmer Fudd here.

I hope so.  That means the 'stache will be back by the next cartoon.

* Re: Permission problems in release-2
@ 2009-06-17  0:37                   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-06-17  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar And My Cartoon Dad Could Beat Your Cartoon Dad
	Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Warren Young wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Unfortunately I'm still growing my mustache out after an unfortunate
>> encounter with an Acme Blow Torch.  Somebody distracted me and turned
>> the nozzle around while I wasn't looking.
>>
>> Hmm.  I think I may be conflating Snidely Whiplash with Elmer Fudd here.
>
> I hope so.  That means the 'stache will be back by the next cartoon.

  Dick Dastardly could whup Snidely's mustache any day of the week!

    cheers,
      DaveK