public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: [OT] Re: Use of Dual Core causes random failures building OpenJDK
       [not found]                   ` <b0ddfae80911211125j57f6a073haed14a7cff591d6@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-11-21 19:48                     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-11-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Some People Just Don't Know When To Stop Digging
	Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

mike marchywka wrote:

> Eh, this was supposed to be one non-controversial if tangential observation
> that did happen to point to a likely issue relevant to OP and who
> knows who starts out by reading a windoze env variable. I don't really
> want to discuss this further, I didn't think it would get this
> involved, you are probably right but FWIW.  I'd imagine they are
> supposed to be safe and a problem like this would have probably shown
> up by now but  I'm actually not all that sure that concurrent registry
> updates would be tested all that much-
> when is the last time you openned two registry editors while 5
> installs were running? ( rhetorical question LOL ).

ARF ARF WOOF! plonk diddle-diddle-diddle-dee diddle plonk bong crash WOOF ARF
BARK pling plong diddle diddle bong clang WOOF honk BARK plink bong ARF ARF!

  Say, CGF was right.  This is a whole lot more fun!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* WTF proposed acronym
       [not found]                 ` <20091121185049.GA13903@ednor.casa.cgf.cx>
       [not found]                   ` <b0ddfae80911211125j57f6a073haed14a7cff591d6@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-11-21 19:48                   ` Lee D. Rothstein
From: Lee D. Rothstein @ 2009-11-21 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves, cygwin

CGF said:

> Yes, please take it to the talk list.
>
> In the meantime, I'm going to try teaching my dog to play the piano.
>
> cgf
Using a little poetic license, and realizing that CGF
never does anything with the expectation of failure
implied above:

Meanwhile, I'll teach my dog to play the piano == MITMDTPTP

I know what you're going to say, "It's too complicated!"
But ... I taught the acronym to my dog, Phydeaux.

And, you gotta love any acronym of this sort that begins
with MIT, ends with two TPs, has an MD in the middle,
contains no obscentities and refers to man's best friend.

Lee

* Re: WTF proposed acronym
@ 2009-11-21 20:46                     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-11-21 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: It's a Vulgar Desert Topping *And* An Unprofessional Floor Polish

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:

> And, you gotta love any acronym of this sort that begins
> with MIT, ends with two TPs, has an MD in the middle,
> contains no obscentities and refers to man's best friend.

  I am the great Cornholio!  I need TP for my bunghole!  I come from Lake
Obscentiticaca in Nicaragua!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: WTF proposed acronym
@ 2009-11-21 21:37                       ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2009-11-21 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:51 +0000
> From: dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: WTF proposed acronym
>
> Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>
>> And, you gotta love any acronym of this sort that begins
>> with MIT, ends with two TPs, has an MD in the middle,
>> contains no obscentities and refers to man's best friend.
>
> I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! I come from Lake
> Obscentiticaca in Nicaragua!

wtf is lake Obscentiticaca, I've seen beavis and butthead,
I've also seem dumber confusion than with windoze variabbles.

Without knowing wtf the original poster could have been doing, using
windoze variable at some point could have been important and maybe
there is some obscure problem with unknown bloda.

> cheers,
> DaveK

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2

* Re: WTF proposed acronym
@ 2009-11-21 22:15                         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-11-21 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: I can't even say the word 'Lake Titicaca' without
	giggling like a schoolgirl

Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:51 +0000
>> From: dave.korn.cygwin@

  Kindly lose that shit, I get enough spam as it is!

>> Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
>>
>>> And, you gotta love any acronym of this sort that begins
>>> with MIT, ends with two TPs, has an MD in the middle,
>>> contains no obscentities and refers to man's best friend.
>> I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! I come from Lake
>> Obscentiticaca in Nicaragua!
>
> wtf is lake Obscentiticaca, I've seen beavis and butthead,

  Cornholio often claims to come from Lake Titicaca.
  Lee typo'd obscenities in a way that made it sound like "obscene titties".
  I put the two together.

> I've also seem dumber confusion than with windoze variabbles.
>
> Without knowing wtf the original poster could have been doing, using
> windoze variable at some point could have been important and maybe
> there is some obscure problem with unknown bloda.

  So your current explanation is that you don't know what the OP was doing, or
what might have happened, or what caused whatever it was that happened to
happen, but you wanted to point out that it might have had something to do
with environment variables, and that some other unknown thing might have had
an unknown effect on them in some unknown way?  Uh, OK.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: WTF proposed acronym
@ 2009-11-21 22:35                           ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2009-11-21 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:30:45 +0000
> From: @googlemail.com
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: WTF proposed acronym
>
> Mike Marchywka wrote:

>>> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:00:51 +0000
>>> From: dave.korn.cygwin@
>
> Kindly lose that shit, I get enough spam as it is!

Is that anyway to describe your own name? LOL

>>> I am the great Cornholio! I need TP for my bunghole! I come from Lake
>>> Obscentiticaca in Nicaragua!
>>
>> wtf is lake Obscentiticaca, I've seen beavis and butthead,
>
> Cornholio often claims to come from Lake Titicaca.
> Lee typo'd obscenities in a way that made it sound like "obscene titties".
> I put the two together.

without credit to the original sources?

>> I've also seem dumber confusion than with windoze variabbles.
>>
>> Without knowing wtf the original poster could have been doing, using
>> windoze variable at some point could have been important and maybe
>> there is some obscure problem with unknown bloda.
>
> So your current explanation is that you don't know what the OP was doing, or
> what might have happened, or what caused whatever it was that happened to
> happen, but you wanted to point out that it might have had something to do
> with environment variables, and that some other unknown thing might have had
> an unknown effect on them in some unknown way? Uh, OK.

something related to threading sure

> cheers,
> DaveK

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/

* Re: WTF proposed acronym
@ 2009-11-21 22:49                             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-11-21 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: i dunno,
	maybe 'credit the original sources' means 'offer
	them a loan' or something, i'll admit to not doing that

Mike Marchywka wrote:

>> Kindly lose that shit, I get enough spam as it is!
>
> Is that anyway to describe your own name? LOL

  You think that's my name?  Either you can't tell the difference between a
name and an email address, or you must think my parents were incredibly
farsighted!

>>> wtf is lake Obscentiticaca, I've seen beavis and butthead,
>> Cornholio often claims to come from Lake Titicaca.
>> Lee typo'd obscenities in a way that made it sound like "obscene titties".
>> I put the two together.
>
> without credit to the original sources?

  Attention span, much?  See that bit up at the top there?

  We call this thing an "attribution line"(*).  And I figured Beavis and
Butthead were famous enough to count as part of our shared cultural milieu.

    cheers,
      DaveK
--
(*) - inb4 any kind of "attribution?  are you sure that's the same thing as
crediting an original source?" nonsense arises.