public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
       [not found]           ` <4A85C2AA.1080105@cwilson.fastmail.fm>
@ 2009-08-14 20:07             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-08-14 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:01:46PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>[snip]
>There are a ton of things wrong with this behavior, but it is what it is
>-- and somehow we need to work around it, until libtool is "fixed".
>Whatever "fixed" means.

  find / -name 'libtool*' -o -name 'lt*' | xargs rm

cgf

* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
@ 2009-08-14 20:26               ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2009-08-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:01:46PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> [snip]
>> There are a ton of things wrong with this behavior, but it is what it is
>> -- and somehow we need to work around it, until libtool is "fixed".
>> Whatever "fixed" means.
>
>   find / -name 'libtool*' -o -name 'lt*' | xargs rm

Ouch. Harsh.

At the risk of having a technical discussion on the talk list, I wonder
what the ramifications would be of just not shipping .la files for the
gcc runtime libs?  It's possible that this would "trick" libtool into
just recording -lstdc++ etc, instead of canonicalizing to
/full/path/to/libstdc++.la.

Just a thought.

--
Chuck

* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
@ 2009-08-14 20:29                 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-08-14 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk Rampaging List

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:01:46PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> There are a ton of things wrong with this behavior, but it is what it is
>>> -- and somehow we need to work around it, until libtool is "fixed".
>>> Whatever "fixed" means.
>>   find / -name 'libtool*' -o -name 'lt*' | xargs rm
>
> Ouch. Harsh.
>
> At the risk of having a technical discussion on the talk list, I wonder
> what the ramifications would be of just not shipping .la files for the
> gcc runtime libs?

  Libtool will summon Moth-Ra to destroy Tokyo.  Happy now?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
@ 2009-08-14 22:10                   ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2009-08-14 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Dave Korn pounded at his keyboard
like a crack-induced monkey and happened to punch the text
>  Libtool will summon Moth-Ra to destroy Tokyo.

No -- Godzilla will be summoned by Libtool to destroy tokyo, and
mothra just comes along for the ride like a cheap freeloader.
Ungrateful git.

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
@ 2009-08-15  0:08                     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-08-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Moth-Ra-Is-Innocent Fan Club

Morgan Gangwere wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Dave Korn pounded at his keyboard
> like a crack-induced monkey and happened to punch the text
>>  Libtool will summon Moth-Ra to destroy Tokyo.
>
> No -- Godzilla will be summoned by Libtool to destroy tokyo, and
> mothra just comes along for the ride like a cheap freeloader.
> Ungrateful git.

  Noooooooo!  Don't be horrible to Moth-Ra, it's not his fault that a bunch of
crazy native cultists living on a pacific island woke him up, and it's not his
fault that Tokyo is so full of these towering bright lights!  He has to fly
around and around the skyscrapers in ever-decreasing circles, that's just what
moths do, and it's not his fault that he bumps into one now and again and it's
so flimsy it just falls down!

  Poor ol' Moth-Ra.  Condemned by association after a trial-by-media.  He's
not bad, just misunderstood.  It isn't easy, being a moth.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: GCC4, new package soon?
@ 2009-08-15 12:40                       ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2009-08-15 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Dave Korn<dave.korn.cygwin@Ab so
friggin lutly nowhere > violently assaulted his keyboard (and in doing
so typed):
>  Noooooooo!  Don't be horrible to Moth-Ra, it's not his fault that a bunch of
> crazy native cultists living on a pacific island woke him up, and it's not his
> fault that Tokyo is so full of these towering bright lights!  He has to fly
> around and around the skyscrapers in ever-decreasing circles, that's just what
> moths do, and it's not his fault that he bumps into one now and again and it's
> so flimsy it just falls down!

well, tokyo just happens to be a wonderful "OOOH SHINEY" moment for
anything with a brain smaller than 4 synapses. Mothra was all up in
Godzilla's stuff, so therefore godzilla was particularly miffed.

>  Poor ol' Moth-Ra.  Condemned by association after a trial-by-media.  He's
> not bad, just misunderstood.  It isn't easy, being a moth.

"It aint easy bein da moth"