public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
       [not found]   ` <20050503174814.GD5869@trixie.casa.cgf.cx>
@ 2005-05-04  9:47     ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2005-05-04  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:26:20PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>

>>FWIW, I fully support your stance that your unilaterally-imposed
>>"disqualification" was unwarranted.  At the same time, it's not
>>difficult to understand Hans' consternation and reaction to the
>>situation.  Doxygen is a very useful package, and it would be sad for
>>the "Cygwin immune system" to reject its inclusion on the basis that
>>somebody did too much work.
>>

>I think this subject is closed:
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-05/msg00011.html
>
>It's now time to move on to the actual work of getting the new version
>of doxygen into the cygwin release.
>
>cgf

I'd like to ask whether someone has ever maintained a package that he
did not personally use.   If so, how do you respond to "usage" questions?

And, if a maintainer takes a 3 week vacation, can he request someone to
take over for the time being?

Lastly, what if the maintainer does not have the technical skill to
debug the package being maintained (but just has the capability to
package new releases?)

In any case, I wanted not to say the following but I can't help
it....the tone of the recent cygwin and cygwin-apps posts have beaten
the Korean soap operas that are being shown on TV at our cafeteria
during lunch.  :)

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-05-04  9:52       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-05-04  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On May  4 17:27, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >It's now time to move on to the actual work of getting the new version
> >of doxygen into the cygwin release.
>
> I'd like to ask whether someone has ever maintained a package that he
> did not personally use.   If so, how do you respond to "usage" questions?

Another mailing list dedicated to the package.

> And, if a maintainer takes a 3 week vacation, can he request someone to
> take over for the time being?

There's always "silence" who can take over for this time...

> Lastly, what if the maintainer does not have the technical skill to
> debug the package being maintained (but just has the capability to
> package new releases?)

Yes, that is a problem.  IMHO a maintainer should at least be able to
port the package by him- or herself to Cygwin and not rely on foreign
work.  Some knowledge how to use the package would be fine, too, but
sometimes people just use a small part of the features of a package
and don't know others.  Nothing wrong with that, as long as the maintainer
knows about the Cygwin specific glitches.  Every general package use is
typically not to be discussed on the Cygwin list anyway.

As for debugging... if somebody ports a package, basic debugging skills
are either available or will build up the hard way.

Corinna

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen
@ 2005-05-04 12:51         ` Carlo Florendo
From: Carlo Florendo @ 2005-05-04 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>On May  4 17:27, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>

>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>

>>>It's now time to move on to the actual work of getting the new version
>>>of doxygen into the cygwin release.
>>>

>>I'd like to ask whether someone has ever maintained a package that he
>>did not personally use.   If so, how do you respond to "usage" questions?
>>

>Another mailing list dedicated to the package.
>

>>And, if a maintainer takes a 3 week vacation, can he request someone to
>>take over for the time being?
>>

>There's always "silence" who can take over for this time...
>

>>Lastly, what if the maintainer does not have the technical skill to
>>debug the package being maintained (but just has the capability to
>>package new releases?)
>>

>Yes, that is a problem.  IMHO a maintainer should at least be able to
>port the package by him- or herself to Cygwin and not rely on foreign
>work.  Some knowledge how to use the package would be fine, too, but
>sometimes people just use a small part of the features of a package
>and don't know others.  Nothing wrong with that, as long as the maintainer
>knows about the Cygwin specific glitches.  Every general package use is
>typically not to be discussed on the Cygwin list anyway.
>
>As for debugging... if somebody ports a package, basic debugging skills
>are either available or will build up the hard way.
>

>Corinna

Thank you Corinna.  Let me practice cygwin-packaging some apps for
myself....

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-05-04 20:25         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2005-05-04 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On May  4 17:27, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> > And, if a maintainer takes a 3 week vacation, can he request someone to
> > take over for the time being?
>
> There's always "silence" who can take over for this time...

Who is this "silence", and how do I get in contact with her?  Can I send
her a personal e-mail?  What's her e-mail address?

OAU

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-05-05 19:28           ` Bill Hughes
From: Bill Hughes @ 2005-05-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

On 5/4/05, One Angry User <angry@lusers.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On May  4 17:27, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> > > And, if a maintainer takes a 3 week vacation, can he request someone to
> > > take over for the time being?
> >
> > There's always "silence" who can take over for this time...
>
> Who is this "silence", and how do I get in contact with her?  Can I send
> her a personal e-mail?  What's her e-mail address?
Try dev.null@127.0.0.1
Yep, that should work.

--
regards,
Bill

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-10-18 18:19     ` Bill Hughes
From: Bill Hughes @ 2005-10-18 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On 10/18/05, Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> > > urban legend... unless, of course, the urban legend *itself* is a
> > > rumor started by Vast Hippo Conspiracy, in order to cover up their
> >
> >   TINVHC!
>
> Of course not.  It was a fabrication of the Lumber Cartel to draw
> attention away.

Ahem.
TINC.
--
regards,
Bill

* Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload:  doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-10-18  9:40   ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-10-18  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TINLC!

@ 2005-10-18  9:22 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-10-18  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hippo Squad!'

Robb, Sam wrote:

>   Obligatory off-topic bit:
>
>   Did you know that a hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit
> a 4 foot tall child inside?  However, the highly publicized hippo
> appetite for circus dwarves seems to be nothing more than a popular
> urban legend... unless, of course, the urban legend *itself* is a
> rumor started by Vast Hippo Conspiracy, in order to cover up their
> nefarious plans.  You never know...
>
> -Samrobb

  TINVHC!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))
@ 2005-10-17 16:36 Robb, Sam
From: Robb, Sam @ 2005-10-17 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

> Although I can write reasonable shell and awk scripts, my real programming
> skills are nil.  In other words, I cannot see my basic debugging skills
> building up in any way, hard or otherwise.  Would it be inappropriate for
> someone like me to ITP a package, even though the first time someone reports
> a problem the package will probably have to be removed because I will not be
> able to fix the problem?

Barry,

  Have you considered pinging the mailing lists to see if someone
else is using these packages, and therefore might be enticed into
maintainership?  This is (somewhat) how I came to be the maintainer
for the cramfs and mtd packages - someone was willing to do the
initial packaging work, but unable to be a full maintainer:

  http://www.cygwin.com//ml/cygwin-apps/2005-03/msg00070.html

  In this case, I worked with Marion Deveaud to refine the original
packaging, integrate some seperate patches we were maintaining for
our own local builds, and release that as a package:

  http://www.cygwin.com//ml/cygwin-apps/2005-03/msg00074.html