public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* You call that a trick?  You wanna see a trick?  I'll show you a ******ing  trick.
@ 2009-12-06  1:01 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-12-06  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Completely Spurious Fake Manufactured Artificial
	Sense Of Doubt Based Only On Ignorance Maiming List

  Instead of multiplying a number by 10, just stick a zero on the end!

  Anyone who for one second tries to pretend that that is some kind of
artificial manipulation is just lying, full stop and no excuse.  Grrr!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: You call that a trick?  You wanna see a trick?  I'll show you  a ******ing  trick.
@ 2009-12-07 15:39 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2009-12-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Dave Korn wrote:
>   Instead of multiplying a number by 10, just stick a zero on the end!

Nonsense, that multiplies by 16 in the only numbering system that all
right-thinking persons use.

* Re: You call that a trick? You wanna see a trick? I'll show you a   ******ing trick.
@ 2009-12-07 17:20   ` Cesar Strauss
From: Cesar Strauss @ 2009-12-07 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Warren Young wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>
>>  Instead of multiplying a number by 10, just stick a zero on the end!
>
> Nonsense, that multiplies by 16 in the only numbering system that all
> right-thinking persons use.

There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand
binary, and those who don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_joke

* Re: You call that a trick? You wanna see a trick? I'll show you a   ******ing trick.
@ 2009-12-07 17:30     ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2009-12-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Cesar Strauss <cestrauss@> wrote:

> There are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand
> binary, and those who don't.

Corollary: There are 11 types of people in this world -- those who
understand binary, whose who understand binary and cant count, and
those that dont.

--
Morgan gangwere

“The future’s already arrived. It’s just not evenly distributed yet.”
William Gibson

* Re: You call that a trick?  You wanna see a trick?  I'll show you   a ******ing  trick.
@ 2009-12-07 17:57   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-12-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: teh conspiracy unmasked!!!!!!1!!!!!!1!2!!!!3!!!! it was warren
	all along!

Warren Young wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>   Instead of multiplying a number by 10, just stick a zero on the end!
>
> Nonsense, that multiplies by 16 in the only numbering system that all
> right-thinking persons use.

  Sticking a '0' on the end multiplies any number by '10' no matter what base
system you are using; it's a fundamental constant of place notation.

  You're part of the conspiracy!  You manipulated the data by switching from
one number base to another in the middle of your argument in a spurious
attempt to discredit me!  Admit it, you're working for Big Oil!

@ 2009-12-07 18:01     ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2009-12-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 18:13:32 +0000
> From: dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com
> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: You call that a trick? You wanna see a trick? I'll show you a ******ing trick.
>
> Warren Young wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> Instead of multiplying a number by 10, just stick a zero on the end!
>>
>> Nonsense, that multiplies by 16 in the only numbering system that all
>> right-thinking persons use.
>
> Sticking a '0' on the end multiplies any number by '10' no matter what base
> system you are using; it's a fundamental constant of place notation.
>
> You're part of the conspiracy! You manipulated the data by switching from
> one number base to another in the middle of your argument in a spurious
> attempt to discredit me! Admit it, you're working for Big Oil!

Once people start discussing acid-base equillibria, they tend to concentrate on H and OH
ignoring counterions and all that other stuff. Didn't you realize by 16 he meant 22
as new accounting rules allow this.

> cheers,
> DaveK

Windows Live Hotmail gives you a free,exclusive  gift.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/hotmail_bl1/hotmail_bl1.aspx?ocid=PID23879::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-ww:WM_IMHM_7:092009