public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14 20:43 Charles Plager
From: Charles Plager @ 2009-02-14 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi,

	For what it's worth, I've been happily using Cygwin and gcc with Root
for many years (I posted on the forum saying as much).  Thanks for all
of your hard work.

	Cheers,
  	  Charles

p.s.  I can't remember how to get a specific cygwin email message sent
to me so I can respond, so the message headers won't be right...

cgr wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 05:52:21AM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291923
>>
>>I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind me
>>to check back in a day or so, or I might forget.
>>
>>[ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but
>>they've blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]
>
> Thanks for responding.  I started to respond myself but lost interest
> when I saw that I had to register.
>
> The things that google alerts finds about cygwin are really rather
> discouraging.  So much disinformation.
>
> cgf

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-15  3:19 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-15  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 02:43:44PM -0600, Charles Plager wrote:
>For what it's worth, I've been happily using Cygwin and gcc with Root
>for many years (I posted on the forum saying as much).  Thanks for all
>of your hard work.

Thank you for the post.  It's always nice to have actual facts to counter
opinions.

cgf

* RE: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-15 14:47   ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2009-02-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: irritating forum
>
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 02:43:44PM -0600, Charles Plager wrote:
>>For what it's worth, I've been happily using Cygwin and gcc with Root
>>for many years (I posted on the forum saying as much). Thanks for all
>>of your hard work.
>
> Thank you for the post. It's always nice to have actual facts to counter
> opinions.

Cygwin comes up in favorably these forums, quite "colloquial" to be charitable but interesting
audience that may be used to windoze and MSFT "tools"

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Business_%26_Finance/Investments/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_L/threadview?bn=10602&tid=96128&mid=199900

You don't usually have people just make unsolicited comments like " yeah it pretty much works ok."

> cgf
Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_022009

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14 17:52       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-14 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:05:37AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Feb 14 01:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >
>> >I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind me
>> >to check back in a day or so, or I might forget.
>> >
>> >[ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but
>> >they've blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]
>>
>> Thanks for responding.  I started to respond myself but lost interest
>> when I saw that I had to register.
>>
>> The things that google alerts finds about cygwin are really rather
>> discouraging.  So much disinformation.
>
>If you're looking too closely you will find all sorts of discouraging
>disinformation in the net, about Linux, about Windows, about file
>sharing, about, FWIW, boot polish.  Even about hippos sometimes.

No, Cygwin really is in a special class.  The misinformation about
Cygwin can contain misinformation about Windows, Linux, and Cygwin
itself.  I believe that the ratio of good information to bad information
for Cygwin is rather low compared to many other systems.

cgf

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14 13:34     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-14 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vaguely on Topic Cygwin-Talk List

Wes S wrote:
> On 14 Feb 2009 at 5:52, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291923
>>   I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind
>>   me to
>> check back in a day or so, or I might forget.
>>
>>   [ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but
>>   they've
>> blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]
>>
>>     cheers,
>>       DaveK
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but setup.exe does some sort of hash check to
> make sure that packages uploaded from mirrors are valid?  I only read
> so much of that link you posted before deciding this was clueless
> rant.

  Oh, well, hippos, blah blah, on the moon, blah blah, weird surreal wibble
blah blah . .

  *sotto voce* Yes, it does.  The setup.ini file is digitally signed on
sourceware.org, and it lists the md5sums of all the packages, so those can be
verified under guarantee of the signature.  But don't let the hippos hear us
having an on-topic conversation here in their territory, or they'll be angry,
that's why I'm whispering.  Say, what's that distand whistling noise?  And why
is everyone backing away from me and looking up?  Oh, no .....

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkeeeeeeeerSPSPLLLAAAATTTTHUMP   ##@NO CARRIER

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14 10:05     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-14 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Feb 14 01:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 05:52:21AM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291923
> >
> >I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind me
> >to check back in a day or so, or I might forget.
> >
> >[ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but
> >they've blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]
>
> Thanks for responding.  I started to respond myself but lost interest
> when I saw that I had to register.
>
> The things that google alerts finds about cygwin are really rather
> discouraging.  So much disinformation.

If you're looking too closely you will find all sorts of discouraging
disinformation in the net, about Linux, about Windows, about file
sharing, about, FWIW, boot polish.  Even about hippos sometimes.

Corinna

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14  7:25   ` Wes S
From: Wes S @ 2009-02-14  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 14 Feb 2009 at 5:52, Dave Korn wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291923
>
>   I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind
>   me to
> check back in a day or so, or I might forget.
>
>   [ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but
>   they've
> blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Correct me if I'm wrong but setup.exe does some sort of hash check to
make sure that packages uploaded from mirrors are valid?  I only read
so much of that link you posted before deciding this was clueless
rant.

Thanks,

Wes

* Re: irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14  6:22   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-14  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

@ 2009-02-14  5:43 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-02-14  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulg^H^H^H^HNice and Helpful Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=291923

  I went and opened a polite dialogue with them.  Somebody do remind me to
check back in a day or so, or I might forget.

  [ I might have launched a full-out nuclear flame war instead, but they've
blocked bugmenot, so I decided to play nice :) ]

    cheers,
      DaveK

* irritating forum
@ 2009-02-14  4:28 Christopher Faylor