public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-13 13:13 Marcel
From: Marcel @ 2005-05-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Thanks for the useful suggestions. I probably
misinterpreted the description of cygwin-talk and
posted my problem to the wrong place.

In any event, based on responses at cygwin-xfree it
appears that others ahve started to have trouble with
xwin or sth related after updating. But I'm too
ignorant to be  able to figure out what causes the
problem or what exactly the problem is.

Regards,
        Norbert

> Am I just missing something small and simple?
  No, you're missing something large, grey, and
semi-aquatic.
>  Where
> can I find some instructions on how to (re)start
using
> cygwin/x?
  Maybe you wanna try the cygwin-xfree mailing list?
cheers,
      DaveK

When I am perplexed about something, I usually take a
shower.  That's
where I get all of my inspiration.

HTH.

cgf

Yahoo! Mail

* Re: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-13 14:42 ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2005-05-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:54:06AM -0700, Marcel wrote:

> Thanks for the useful suggestions. I probably
> misinterpreted the description of cygwin-talk and
> posted my problem to the wrong place.

cygwin-talk is intended to be relaxed and fun.

> In any event, based on responses at cygwin-xfree it
> appears that others ahve started to have trouble with
> xwin or sth related after updating. But I'm too
> ignorant to be  able to figure out what causes the
> problem or what exactly the problem is.

Ignorance will *not* save you from falling hippos.

* RE: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-19 18:17   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-05-19 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 05:54:06AM -0700, Marcel wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the useful suggestions. I probably
>> misinterpreted the description of cygwin-talk and
>> posted my problem to the wrong place.
>
> cygwin-talk is intended to be relaxed and fun.
>
>> In any event, based on responses at cygwin-xfree it
>> appears that others ahve started to have trouble with
>> xwin or sth related after updating. But I'm too
>> ignorant to be  able to figure out what causes the
>> problem or what exactly the problem is.
>
> Ignorance will *not* save you from falling hippos.

  Falling hippos don't kill people, it's people who drop hippos who kill
people.

  No, wait a minute.

  Falling hippos do kill people.  It's just as simple as that.

  We now return you to your regularly scheduled gibberish.........

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-20 14:49     ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2005-05-20 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeSPLAT!'

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Ok, who let the hippo out on the roof?

OAU
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-@!

* Re: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-15 23:24 ` Tacvek
From: Tacvek @ 2005-05-15 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

> I've been using cygwin and cygwin/x or at least an
> xterm by running the startxwin.bat provided by the
> default cygwin setup.exe. (on windows xp)
>
> Then I'm not sure what happened, I think I just
> reinstalled some packages with setup, in any event,
> when I now run startxwin.bat or if I try startxwin.sh
> or startx or XWin.exe, I don't get a terminal or
> window pop up anymore. In th eprocess list there is an
> XWin and an xterm (for startxwin), and there is an X
> icon in the lower righ corner, but no window to type
> into. I can only get the cygwin bash shell, which does
> not provide graphics/x.

Everything is fine. Trust me. Running that batch file will start X windows.
X windows will be running in rootless mode which means you should not see a
background X window. It will use Microsoft window's own WM rather than an X
WM.

It does not show a console by design. it lets you use xstartwin in the
windows startup folder. (assuming you added cygwin's path to your windows
path).

If you see xterm, then xwindows is running just fine. you can either use
that to run x application or use a standard bash shell. if you use a
standard bash shell you will need to use 'export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0'.
This behavior has been the cygwin X standard behavior for quite a long time,
so I'm a bit surprised by your message.

Anyway I hope this helped.

* Re: startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-12 21:15 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-05-12 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Talk Amongst Yourselves

@ 2005-05-12 16:24 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-05-12 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Am I just missing something small and simple?

  No, you're missing something large, grey, and semi-aquatic.

>  Where
> can I find some instructions on how to (re)start using
> cygwin/x?

  Maybe you wanna try the cygwin-xfree mailing list?

http://cygwin.com/lists.html

    cheers,
      DaveK

* startxwin doesn't pop up a terminal
@ 2005-05-12 16:15 Marcel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcel @ 2005-05-12 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

I've been using cygwin and cygwin/x or at least an
xterm by running the startxwin.bat provided by the
default cygwin setup.exe. (on windows xp)

Then I'm not sure what happened, I think I just
reinstalled some packages with setup, in any event,
when I now run startxwin.bat or if I try startxwin.sh
or startx or XWin.exe, I don't get a terminal or
window pop up anymore. In th eprocess list there is an
XWin and an xterm (for startxwin), and there is an X
icon in the lower righ corner, but no window to type
into. I can only get the cygwin bash shell, which does
not provide graphics/x.

I tried to play with export DISPLAY=localhost:0 and
variants, and I tried to look for something simple
related to this issue on the FAQ, mailing list archive
or the web, or in the man page of startx.

When I run startxwin.sh from the bash shell, it writes
a lot of lines. To me they seem to indicate that XWin
was launched, that some modules can communicate and
such. The last line is
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
and then nothing else happens.

I don't think I have modified anything in cygwin
compared to the defaults at download - in fact I just
reinstalled the x-parts, plus I don't know how to
modify anthing :-)

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail