public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* paste & join
@ 2005-06-09 12:18 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2005-06-09 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi,
I've used paste for years and it's super useful.

Basically it "vertically pastes" two text files together

Can't get my head around join tho, when and where would you use this?

### this is a Hippo Free Zone ###
--
zzapper
vim -c ":%s%s*%Cyrnfr)fcbafbe[Oenz(Zbbyranne%|:%s)[[()])-)Ig|norm Vg?"

* RE: paste & join
@ 2005-06-09 17:12 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-09 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Looks like you conveniently snipped the "# this is a hippo-free zone #"
comment from the above message...

Hey, wait, it doesn't matter.  You've freed that zone from a hippo just
now, haven't you?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: paste & join
@ 2005-06-09 17:57     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
>>> I've used paste for years and it's super useful.
>>
>>   Well, I've got to agree with you there.  It's that whole Unix command
>> line philosophy of having loads and loads of tiny little tools, simple
>> components that perform simple tasks, and a flexible environment where
>> you can connect them up using pipes and backticks and whatever else,
>> with the idea of quickly building more complex tasks out of reusable
>> parts.  You could almost have a shell-scripting RAD/gui and let people
>> drag'n'drop boxes labelled things like "grep" and "cat" and "sed" and
>> link them up using lines to represent pipes and fifos and stuff.....
>>                          |  |   | |    |
>>>                       |  W |
>>> Basically it "vertically pastes" two text files together
>>> !|E  | Can't get my head around join tho, when|and where would you use
>>> this?
>>                         .|E| |
>>                         ! .E  |
>>   I would use it perhaps to ...... WAIT!  WHAT'S THAT?  OH NO!  DUCK!
>>                          |E  |
>>                         | E |
>>                          | E|
>>                         | E |
>>                     F    ||E | e
>>                  o   \   /  ~  \ Z  e
>>>                 \   @$/BOOMSPLAT#
>>> ### this is a Hi  (. < SQUELCH!! > one ###
>>                      /%\ \_=/~\~/ \ {
>>                   p/ |  ` &'*  | /  r
>>
>>   No, wait a minute, it looks like I was wrong ...  That was way too big
>> to be a duck!
>
> Looks like you conveniently snipped the "# this is a hippo-free zone #"
> comment from the above message...

  Don't be silly, I didn't snip a thing - that falling hippo landed on it
and smashed it to bits and all the letters went flying everywhere!

> Hey, wait, it doesn't matter.  You've freed that zone from a hippo just
> now, haven't you?

  Look, I didn't drop _that_ one, ok?  Nothing to do with me, I don't know
where it came from, maybe someone flushed it out of an airliner passing
overhead, I really don't know!  Dust it all you like, you won't find my
prints on it![*]

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*]    The fact that it's quite difficult (if not impossible)[**] to get a
clean fingerprint off of a tonne-and-a-half of wet soggy squashed hippo
entrails is neither here nor there!

[**]   Probably.  What, you think I might have had occasion to try this at
some time in the past[***] and actually be speaking from personal
experience?

[***]  Well, ok, I might have at that.  But it's still not important.[****]

[****] For suitable values of 'important'.

* RE: paste & join
@ 2005-06-09 18:06       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [**]   Probably.  What, you think I might have had occasion to try this at
> some time in the past[***] and actually be speaking from personal
> experience?
>
> [***]  Well, ok, I might have at that.  But it's still not important.[****]
>
> [****] For suitable values of 'important'.

'important'?  No.
'on-topic'?  Yes!
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-09 18:39         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-09 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

Be careful.  You undoubtedly know exactly *how* moderating on this list is
accomplished...
	Igor
--

@ 2005-06-09 15:53 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2005-06-09 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List'

At Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:18 AM, zzapper wrote:
> Hi,
> I've used paste for years and it's super useful.
>
> Basically it "vertically pastes" two text files together
>
> Can't get my head around join tho, when and where would you use this?
>
> ### this is a Hippo Free Zone ###
> --
> zzapper
> vim -c ":%s%s*%Cyrnfr)fcbafbe[Oenz(Zbbyranne%|:%s)[[()])-)Ig|norm Vg?"
> http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/tips/ vim, zsh & success tips

join basically allows one to combine lines from 2 files that have common
fields when the data in those fields are identical (or, optionally,
missing).  In other words, it allows one to treat two flat files like they
were in a relational database.  I've also use it as a replacement from grep
-f pattern_file, when there are a lot of patterns to search for; I've the
impression that it is faster when there are a lot of patterns in
pattern_file (because the input files are sorted on the join field, join
does not have to check all the patterns in pattern_file.

But in contrast, though I occasionally think about how I use it, I've never
found a use for paste.  Different strokes for different folks!