public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* FW: cygwin quite mode install with non default packages
@ 2006-04-27 11:26 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 27 April 2006 02:27, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> Top-posting reformatted - <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>

  Heh, since you were only adding a one-liner, "Top-posting ruthlessly
snipped" would have been better.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOPRUS!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: FW: cygwin quite mode install with non default packages
@ 2006-04-27 14:40 ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-04-27 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Dave Korn wrote:
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOPRUS!

Huh? There is no such acronym on the http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#OLOCA

Hmm... Top Over ?? Ruthless? Under? Snipped?? Clearly I'm not quite
translating that.

--
Matthew
All of my signatures are 100% original. Including this one.

* RE: FW: cygwin quite mode install with non default packages
@ 2006-04-27 14:47   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'TCTML'

On 27 April 2006 15:41, mwoehlke wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOPRUS!
>
> Huh? There is no such acronym on the http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#OLOCA
>
> Hmm... Top Over ?? Ruthless? Under? Snipped?? Clearly I'm not quite
> translating that.

  Try going back one sentence in the original post....  (ok, it's not a proper
acronym, but TRS is just too lacking in personality to be used!)

@ 2006-04-27 15:33     ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-04-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 27 April 2006 15:41, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOPRUS!
>> Huh? There is no such acronym on the http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#OLOCA
>>
>> Hmm... Top Over ?? Ruthless? Under? Snipped?? Clearly I'm not quite
>> translating that.
>
>   Try going back one sentence in the original post....  (ok, it's not a proper
> acronym, but TRS is just too lacking in personality to be used!)

Ah, ok, some of those letters are not new words... :-)
Other possibilities:
TPRS (same), or ToPRuS (hey, that looks kind of cool!)
?QRS (?? quoting ruthlessly snipped, where ?? is Excessive, Unneeded,
Gratuitous, Redundant, or your favorite synonym), or ?PRS (same, but
with p=posting)
??RRBDAHOI (?? same first two as above, ruthlessly reduced by dropping a
hippo on it. I vote for this one ;-).)

--
Matthew
Ok, so the quotes aren't entirely original.

* RE: FW: cygwin quite mode install with non default packages
@ 2006-04-27 15:45       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hail to the chief acronym'

On 27 April 2006 16:33, mwoehlke wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> Huh? There is no such acronym on the http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#OLOCA
>>>
>>> Hmm... Top Over ?? Ruthless? Under? Snipped?? Clearly I'm not quite
>>> translating that.
>>
>>   Try going back one sentence in the original post....  (ok, it's not a
>> proper acronym, but TRS is just too lacking in personality to be used!)
>
> Ah, ok, some of those letters are not new words... :-)
> Other possibilities:
> TPRS (same), or ToPRuS (hey, that looks kind of cool!)
> ?QRS (?? quoting ruthlessly snipped, where ?? is Excessive, Unneeded,
> Gratuitous, Redundant, or your favorite synonym), or ?PRS (same, but
> with p=posting)
> ??RRBDAHOI (?? same first two as above, ruthlessly reduced by dropping a
> hippo on it. I vote for this one ;-).)

  I vote for that one too.  But what happens if it gets to be president?

@ 2006-04-27 16:01         ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-04-27 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 27 April 2006 16:33, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>> Try going back one sentence in the original post....  (ok, it's not a
>>> proper acronym, but TRS is just too lacking in personality to be used!)
>> Ah, ok, some of those letters are not new words... :-)
>> Other possibilities:
>> TPRS (same), or ToPRuS (hey, that looks kind of cool!)
>> ?QRS (?? quoting ruthlessly snipped, where ?? is Excessive, Unneeded,
>> Gratuitous, Redundant, or your favorite synonym), or ?PRS (same, but
>> with p=posting)
>> ??RRBDAHOI (?? same first two as above, ruthlessly reduced by dropping a
>> hippo on it. I vote for this one ;-).)
>
>   I vote for that one too.  But what happens if it gets to be president?

Hope it has good foreign policy, of course! :-D

--

@ 2006-05-01  1:16 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-01  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 27 April 2006 02:27, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
> > Top-posting reformatted - <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>
>
>   Heh, since you were only adding a one-liner, "Top-posting ruthlessly
> snipped" would have been better.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOPRUS!

And the rationale for that particular acronym is..?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"