public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27  4:39 Eric Blake
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-04-27  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk SMTP experimentation List

Wow - for once, I sent a mail with a To: having more characters than
my ISP's lame Message-id: header (which I have been told has more
than enough bits in it to uniquely identify the age of every atom in the
universe in nanoseconds, let alone each post).  What is it with people
who abuse email headers rather than using a message body (oh wait,
I just did it myself - may a hippo fall on me for my inconsiderate
behavior).

--
Eric Blake

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27  4:44 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-04-27  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:39:00AM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>Wow - for once, I sent a mail with a To: having more characters than
>my ISP's lame Message-id: header (which I have been told has more
>than enough bits in it to uniquely identify the age of every atom in the
>universe in nanoseconds, let alone each post).  What is it with people
>who abuse email headers rather than using a message body (oh wait,
>I just did it myself - may a hippo fall on me for my inconsiderate
>behavior).

Heh.  My attempt to reply by using the From: field just caused mutt
to wipe out both the To and the From field.  Maybe it was the parentheses.

cgf

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27  4:44 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-04-27  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

> From: Eric Blake
>
> Wow - for once, I sent a mail with a To: having more
> characters than my ISP's lame Message-id: header (which I
> have been told has more than enough bits in it to uniquely
> identify the age of every atom in the universe in
> nanoseconds, let alone each post).  What is it with people
> who abuse email headers rather than using a message body (oh
> wait, I just did it myself - may a hippo fall on me for my
> inconsiderate behavior).
>
> --
> Eric Blake

Well, at least *you* did it on the proper list.  Others would rather

Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27  5:01 ` Brian Dessent
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Brian Dessent @ 2006-04-27  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me too. Was: Wow - for once,

@ 2006-04-27  5:43   ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-04-27  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stop it,
	you guys are going to break the internet. (was: me too. Was: Wow

@ 2006-04-27 10:15   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Well,
	what I want to know is whether rfc822-style continuation lines
	work inside quotes in the header field.  So let 	me 	try
	writing 	more 	vertically. 	 ... 	 yes,
	that seems  	to work. 	I'm glad. 	RFC2822 says
	quoted-string   =       [CFWS] 	                        DQUOTE
	*([FWS] qcontent) [FWS] DQUOTE 	                        [CFWS]
	so I should be OK indeed. 	. 	. 	. 	. 	.except for consideration
	13 in appendix B.	 	. 	    cheers, 	DaveK.,
	cygwin-talk

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27 10:37     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'that was interesting.  looks like some intermediate MTA
	folded the foldable whitespace for me.  and didn't get it
	quite right.  fascinating.'

@ 2006-04-27 14:07     ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2006-04-27 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27 14:43       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Good.... so now we can plot the overthrow of the evil Gmane
	empire without their hordes of spies and minions seeing what
	we're planning.  So it begins..... muhahahahahahaaaaaa!'

@ 2006-04-27 15:17       ` Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2006-04-27 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Robert Pendell wrote:

> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>

> Just so everyone knows.  This may or may not be a good way of hiding
> messages from news.gmane.org newsserver.  That is how I retrieve the
> messages now.  I had to go to the archives and see how you were
> formatting your messages.

I always read these lists through gmane, usually using outlook express.
Their abusive headers are still there, just not easy to get to.  If you turn
on 'view all headers' it doesn't!  If you click on properties and then the
details tab, you can see the 'original-to:' header.

Of course, in this thread, I knew to look for it - otherwise, you could hide
a lot from me (maybe even a hippo =:-0 )

Cary

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27 15:21         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-27 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'not rfc compliant'

On 27 April 2006 16:16, Cary Jamison wrote:

> Robert Pendell wrote:
>>
>> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>>

>> Just so everyone knows.  This may or may not be a good way of hiding
>> messages from news.gmane.org newsserver.  That is how I retrieve the
>> messages now.  I had to go to the archives and see how you were
>> formatting your messages.
>
> I always read these lists through gmane, usually using outlook express.
> Their abusive headers

  Ah, yes, abusive headers.  I think "Xxxxx-Off:" is perhaps the most abusive
of all!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-27 17:08         ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2006-04-27 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-29 23:16   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-04-29 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: push the limits until it breaks

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-30 18:58     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2006-04-30 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List'

> From: Eric Blake

> According to Brian Dessent on 4/26/2006 11:08 PM:
>
> Whoa.  This mail exposed a bug in Thunderbird.

1.  I told you guys you were going to break the internet.
2.  Thunderbird, being a non-Microsoft product, is not only defect-free but
also immune to viruses, spyware, etc, so it is simply not possible that the
problem you saw had any relationship to it.

[snip]
> Now I'm curious as to which MTA between cygwin and me is
> _truncating_ mail headers?  And which MUA/MTA between you and
> cygwin is adding all those random commas?  I'm outraged!  I
> should drop a hippo on the culprit(s)!

Well now let's not go nuts here.  A good banning is clearly called for, but
I don't think physical injury due to falling wild animals is really
appropriate.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* RE: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-04-30 20:02     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-04-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'let's not start all that again... well,
	not this week anyway.'

On 30 April 2006 00:17, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Brian Dessent on 4/26/2006 11:08 PM:
>
> Whoa.  This mail exposed a bug in Thunderbird.  The To: line in my message
> display didn't wrap, and didn't offer a horizontal scroll bar, so all I
> could see without viewing full source was
>
> To: "me too. Was: Wow - for once, I sent a mail with a To: having more
> characters than,my ISP's lame Message-id: header (which I have been told
> has more,than enough b
>
> Then, according to 'view source', all you sent was
>
> To:
>  "me too. Was: Wow - for once, I sent a mail with a To: having more
>  characters than,my ISP's lame Message-id: header (which I have been told
>  has more,than enough bits in it to uniquely identify the age of every atom
>  in the,universe in nanoseconds, let a, cygwin-talk AT cygwin DOT com

  Sounds like a 255 char limit, yet RFC2822 says lines can be up to 998 chars
long, and that it is "incumbent" on Thunderbird to deal.  Then again,
truncating is a way of dealing...

> (Well, not quite - it used @ and . instead of AT and DOT).  Notice there
> was no closing quote!  How'd it even get delivered to me without a valid
> email address?

  Ah, the wonders of the SMTP envelope!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-05-01 12:24       ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2006-05-01 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'maybe this SMTP gripe session will end soon...'

* Re: who was that last message to again?
@ 2006-05-01 14:41         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-05-01 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Dave Korn on 4/30/2006 2:02 PM:
> >
> >   Sounds like a 255 char limit, yet RFC2822 says lines can be up to
> > 998 chars long, and that it is "incumbent" on Thunderbird to deal.
> > Then again, truncating is a way of dealing...
>
> It wasn't Thunderbird doing the truncation.  When I looked at the mail in
> my ISP's web portal before POP-ing it into Thunderbird, the damage had
> already been done.  But speaking of truncation, I have already had a fair
> share of messages chopped at the 998 limit in the body when I forgot to
> PCYMTWLL.  Some MTAs merely insert a ! character and line wrap at position
> 998, in your behalf, but there are enough MTAs that just discard the
> lengthy data to make long lines risky (maybe the OLOCA should be updated
> to point this out?).

Done, though, IMO, this would be rarer, and only apply to buggy mailers
that don't encode line continuations properly.  It is possible to send out
a message that has very long lines encoded in chunks of 998 characters or
less, and still make it look awful in the archives.  But the better we can
scare them, the more chance they'll comply. :-)

> If only email clients would be more helpful and warn you that the
> message you are about to send may be munged en route.

Heh, you're assuming the people who write the front ends for the mailers
are aware of all of these restrictions... :-)

> And why can't more mailers be smart about encoding a leading From so
> that it doesn't appear as >From on the receiving end?

Yeah, that would be very nice.  But adding that '>' is so-o much easier,
isn't it?  According to the manual for my mailer (pine):
	The servers which handle the mail could be doing this before pine
	is even shown the message.

Outlook does quote the "F" in leading "From" as =46, IIRC, though I can't
find anything on Google on how to configure this in other mailers...
Anyone got a link?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/