public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Problems with ssh/scp/sftp on a dual core Dell Latitude D820
       [not found] ` <20060526174326.GD11150@implementation>
@ 2006-05-26 17:54   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-05-26 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:43:26PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Chris Richardson, le Fri 26 May 2006 06:22:32 -0700, a ?crit :
>> Does anyone have a fix for this?
>
>Disable the second core.  Cygwin seems to not work very well with SMP
>systems.

Also check the fan speed.  High RPMs cause vibration which has been
known to derail bits from the CPU.  If you open your case and see a lot
of "dust" that's probably extra lost bits caused by vibration.  Running
your fan at the wrong speed can eventually completely deplete your CPU
of bits, effectively turning it into a 16MHZ Z80.

cgf

* Re: Problems with ssh/scp/sftp on a dual core Dell Latitude D820
@ 2006-05-26 18:28     ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-05-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a rainy Friday, the 26th day of May, 2006, Christopher Faylor's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:43:26PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >Disable the second core.  Cygwin seems to not work very well with SMP
> >systems.
>
> Also check the fan speed.  High RPMs cause vibration which has been
> known to derail bits from the CPU.  If you open your case and see a lot
> of "dust" that's probably extra lost bits caused by vibration.  Running
> your fan at the wrong speed can eventually completely deplete your CPU
> of bits, effectively turning it into a 16MHZ Z80.

Ah, Z80...  Now, that brings back memories...

OAU

* Re: Problems with ssh/scp/sftp on a dual core Dell Latitude D820
@ 2006-05-26 19:00       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-05-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

One Angry User wrote:
> On a rainy Friday, the 26th day of May, 2006, Christopher Faylor's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 07:43:26PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>>> Disable the second core.  Cygwin seems to not work very well with SMP
>>> systems.
>> Also check the fan speed.  High RPMs cause vibration which has been
>> known to derail bits from the CPU.  If you open your case and see a lot
>> of "dust" that's probably extra lost bits caused by vibration.  Running
>> your fan at the wrong speed can eventually completely deplete your CPU
>> of bits, effectively turning it into a 16MHZ Z80.
>
> Ah, Z80...  Now, that brings back memories...

Yup, from High School. I wonder where my Z80 went to (last I checked
they were being labeled "TI-86" :-)).

Of course, I also have a Z80 (TI-86) emulator on my PC that sees -
marginally - more regular use.

--
Matthew
Feed the hippo. Love the hippo. Run from the hippo.

* Re: Problems with ssh/scp/sftp on a dual core Dell Latitude D820
@ 2006-05-26 19:13         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-05-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a rainy Friday, the 26th day of May, 2006, mwoehlke's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> One Angry User wrote:
> > On a rainy Friday, the 26th day of May, 2006, Christopher Faylor's computer
> > deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> > > Also check the fan speed.  High RPMs cause vibration which has been
> > > known to derail bits from the CPU.  If you open your case and see a lot
> > > of "dust" that's probably extra lost bits caused by vibration.  Running
> > > your fan at the wrong speed can eventually completely deplete your CPU
> > > of bits, effectively turning it into a 16MHZ Z80.
> >
> > Ah, Z80...  Now, that brings back memories...
>
> Yup, from High School. I wonder where my Z80 went to (last I checked
> they were being labeled "TI-86" :-)).

Yeah, I learned to program on those machines...

> Of course, I also have a Z80 (TI-86) emulator on my PC that sees -
> marginally - more regular use.

Heck, I *wrote* one for a school project (a Z80 emulator, that is).

OAU