public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Virus in bin/bitmap.exe ?
@ 2010-02-06  6:24 Nicolas Gorse
From: Nicolas Gorse @ 2010-02-06  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hello,

I am installing the latest version of cygwin, downloaded from
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/cygwin and during the installation,
my anti-virus just reported the following problem:

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Risk Found!
Security risk detected: Suspicious.MH690
File: C:\cygwin\bin\bitmap.exe
Location: C:\cygwin\bin

Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
Event: Risk Found!
Security risk detected: Suspicious.MH690
File: C:\cygwin\bin\metaflac.exe
Location: C:\cygwin\bin

Is this expected?!?

Regards,

N.

* Re: Virus in bin/bitmap.exe ?
@ 2010-02-06  7:53 ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2010-02-06  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Nicolas Gorse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am installing the latest version of cygwin, downloaded from
> http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/cygwin and during the installation,
> my anti-virus just reported the following problem:
>
> Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
> Event: Risk Found!
> Security risk detected: Suspicious.MH690
> File: C:\cygwin\bin\bitmap.exe
> Location: C:\cygwin\bin
>
> Scan type: Auto-Protect Scan
> Event: Risk Found!
> Security risk detected: Suspicious.MH690
> File: C:\cygwin\bin\metaflac.exe
> Location: C:\cygwin\bin
>
> Is this expected?!?
>
> Regards,
>
> N.

Norton\Symantec has a poor behavior detection method.  Not only that
but they refused my offer to submit binaries for their analysis so
they could improve it.  Even their newest Sonar 2 gives a false
detection on cygwin compiled binaries.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org
CAcert Assurer