public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Hippo icon for cygwin...
       [not found] ` <a13b5a590912050136t6776c4dat7e4a6f25515c1c2a@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-12-05 12:48   ` mike marchywka
From: mike marchywka @ 2009-12-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 12/5/09, Robert Pendell <@elite-systems.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> for your enjoyment. It's based on public domain art; this version
>> released under a creative commons license (CC-BY-SA 3.0) which is GPL
>> compatible.
>>
>> If ya'll like it, I might put it into cygicons.dll eventually.
>>
>> --
>> Chuck
>>

> I like it.  Oh and by the way.  The file never got bzip compressed.
> It is just a standard tar archive.  For decompression if you use
> cygwin tar then leave out the -j parameter so it doesn't bother
> trying.  For native archive manager drop the .bz2 extension. ;)

I thought The Hippo is purely a text file- composed of ASCII chars
arranged to make the appearance of a hippo from text
someone typed in.  there is probably a more compact
representation since it is only composed of a few different characters
so 8 bits is a waste. if you imagine a family of hippos, you can make
a hippo codec for compressing and decompressing hippos, fingers,and
pictures of homer simpson. the trick is to find a statemachine to generate
the picture with a compact transition rule representation ( make the image
small).

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-12-05 12:48 UTC | newest]