public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
       [not found] ` <42D67029.496B37DD@dessent.net>
@ 2005-07-14 23:13   ` Lasse
From: Lasse @ 2005-07-14 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Second of all, Cygwin is a
> windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to run it under Linux or any
> other system that's not Windows, unless you are talking about WINE or
> something.

Hmmm... Has any tried it? :-)

--
/Lasse

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-14 23:20     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-14 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:12:45AM +0200, Lasse wrote:
>Brian Dessent wrote:
>>Second of all, Cygwin is a windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to
>>run it under Linux or any other system that's not Windows, unless you
>>are talking about WINE or something.
>
>Hmmm...  Has any tried it?  :-)

Nope.  Absolutely no one has tried it in any way whatsoever and no one
ever will.  Any reports you hear of people trying it will be no more
than taunting lies.

cgf

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15  6:33     ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2005-07-15  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

Lasse wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Second of all, Cygwin is a
>> windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to run it under Linux or any
>> other system that's not Windows, unless you are talking about WINE or
>> something.
>

> Hmmm... Has any tried it? :-)

I would add some virtualization software in the mix (like WMWare) just
to not make that simple (e.g. Windows 98 + WMWare + Linux + Wine + Cygwin).

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15  9:39       ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2005-07-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

@ 2005-07-15 12:21       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-15 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to run it under Linux or any
>>> other system that's not Windows, unless you are talking about WINE or
>>> something.
>>

>> Hmmm... Has any tried it? :-)
>>

> I would add some virtualization software in the mix (like WMWare) just
> to not make that simple (e.g. Windows 98 + WMWare + Linux + Wine +
> Cygwin).

  Nah.  I reckon we should develop a windows emulation layer on top of
POSIX.  It could be called 'WinCyg'.  Then we could run cygwin on wincyg
easily.  It should be easy enough.  As a first step, who feels like adding
autoconf target support to cygwin?  When

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 12:24       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-15 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:12:45AM +0200, Lasse wrote:
>> Brian Dessent wrote:
>>> Second of all, Cygwin is a windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to
>>> run it under Linux or any other system that's not Windows, unless you
>>> are talking about WINE or something.
>>
>> Hmmm...  Has any tried it?  :-)
>
> Nope.  Absolutely no one has tried it in any way whatsoever and no one
> ever will.  Any reports you hear of people trying it will be no more
> than taunting lies.
>
> cgf

  I heard that Happy Fun Ball had tried it.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 12:43         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-15 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Hmmm... Has any tried it? :-)
>>>

>> I would add some virtualization software in the mix (like WMWare) just
>> to not make that simple (e.g. Windows 98 + WMWare + Linux + Wine +
>> Cygwin).
>

>   Nah.  I reckon we should develop a windows emulation layer on top of
> POSIX.  It could be called 'WinCyg'.  Then we could run cygwin on wincyg
> easily.  It should be easy enough.  As a first step, who feels like adding
> autoconf target support to cygwin?  When

            [ ... hit send by accident, DOH! ... ]

 ... we've got cygwin running on cygwin, we'll be half way there.  Then we
just need to get windows running on windows and mix the two together!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 14:23           ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2005-07-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>>>I would add some virtualization software in the mix (like WMWare) just
>>>to not make that simple (e.g. Windows 98 + WMWare + Linux + Wine +
>>>Cygwin).
>>

>>  Nah.  I reckon we should develop a windows emulation layer on top of
>>POSIX.  It could be called 'WinCyg'.  Then we could run cygwin on wincyg
>>easily.  It should be easy enough.  As a first step, who feels like adding
>>autoconf target support to cygwin?  When
>>

>             [ ... hit send by accident, DOH! ... ]
>
>  ... we've got cygwin running on cygwin, we'll be half way there.  Then we
> just need to get windows running on windows and mix the two together!
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

At that point should be easy to produce a meta-emulation-layer software
that, given two different API could produce the emulation layer to run
one over the other (and viceversa).
Cygwin could be provided in the sample/ directory to show how easy would
be to use that tool.

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 14:32         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:21:15PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> [...]

Really?  Well then, uh, that's ok then.  I know better than to question
Happy Fun Ball.

cgf

* Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 14:42           ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-07-15 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: http://www.happyfunball.com/hfb.html

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >I heard that Happy Fun Ball had tried it.
>
> Really?  Well then, uh, that's ok then.  I know better than to question
> Happy Fun Ball.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* RE: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix
@ 2005-07-15 15:04             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-07-15 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
>>> I heard that Happy Fun Ball had tried it.
>>
>> Really?  Well then, uh, that's ok then.  I know better than to question
>> Happy Fun Ball.
>
> Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

  Do not cross-compile Happy Fun Ball's POSIX emulation layer.

    cheers,
      DaveK