public inbox for email@example.com
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* [1.7] X11R7.5
@ 2009-10-28 1:00 Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
0 siblings, 0 replies; only message in thread
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2009-10-28 1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
Cygwin/X has been updated to X.Org X11R7.5 (for Cygwin 1.7 only).
WHAT'S NEW IN X11R7.5?
* Almost 200 binary packages have been updated, including the latest
upstream improvements and bug fixes.
* New packages: dmxproto, libdmx1/libdmx-devel, xf86bigfontproto.
* Support for IPv6 and other features new to Cygwin 1.7 are now
available in packages using them.
* The X11 headers have been rearranged, with a lot of shuffling between
the *proto packages and their libX*-devel counterparts. This should be
transparent to the end user as long as these packages are updated
* The technical documentation in xorg-docs and other packages has been
built into text, HTML, and PDF formats.
FEATURES AND NOTES
X11R7.5 includes xorg-server 1.7 with many changes, including:
* DMX support has been added. DMX allows one DISPLAY to span multiple
screens on one or more computers within a network. It consists of Xdmx,
the DMX server (which runs on top of the displaying computers' native
XWin/Xming/Xorg/Xquartz servers), several dmx* clients, and the
xdmxconfig GUI configuration editor. Because of the additional
dependencies of these components, they have been packaged separately as
* Support for the XFree86-BigFont extension has been restored.
* In addition to the default gzip-compression of bitmap fonts, support
for reading bzip2-compressed fonts has been enabled.
* XWin's internal clipboard manager and -multiwindow window manager now
default to using the local socket listener, then falling back to the
inet and inet6 listeners. This allows them to work even in the case of
a difficult firewall configuration, or if an explicit -nolisten argument
has been passed.
Please note the following limitations in this release:
* Despite the update to X Input extension version 2.0 (XI2) which
includes Multi-Pointer X (MPX), XWin is still limited to a single
keyboard and pointing device due to the Windows APIs it uses.
* The Record extension is currently broken and has therefore been
temporarily disabled upstream. A fix is expected soon, at which time
the extension will be re-enabled. In the meantime, clients using this
extension (typically through libXtst) may be missing some functionality.
These X extensions, and their related packages, are no longer available:
library: libXevie, libxcb-xevie
Support for this extension was dropped before xorg-server-1.6.
Development of Cygwin/X is primarily focused on the XWin server; most
other components are extremely stable and work OOTB. Anyone who
despaired of touching the old monolithic tree will find things much
easier with modular packages. If you want to see XWin stay current and
add new features, then WE NEED YOU. Here are some of the projects that
could be worked on:
* Update the Cygwin/X website.
* Continue development of hardware-accelerated AIGLX support.
* Implement Extended Window Manager Hints in multiwindow mode.
* Implement the Composite extension in multiwindow mode.
* Implement Multi-Pointer X.
* Implement the XVideo extension.
* Implement newest XRandR protocol.
* Continue development of WindowsWM extension and xwinwm.
All comments, questions, bug reports, patches, discussion, etc. should
take place on the cygwin-xfree@ list.
Jon Turney for pushing our existing patches upstream and contributing
many new patches to this release.
Colin Harrison for helping push his Xming patches upstream.
Numerous users for their bug reports and suggestions during the 7.4 cycle.
And whomever else I may have inadvertently neglected to mention.
CYGWIN-XFREE-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-xfree-announce mailing list,
please use the automated form at:
If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message. Send email to the address specified
there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] only message in thread
only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-10-28 1:00 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: (only message) (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-10-28 1:00 [1.7] X11R7.5 Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).