public inbox for firstname.lastname@example.org
help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling)
@ 2014-11-28 3:04 Yaakov Selkowitz
0 siblings, 0 replies; only message in thread
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2014-11-28 3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.
This is an update to the latest upstream release, and includes a number
of major changes to X session handling:
* startxwin is now a shell script instead of an executable; if you have
any homemade links thereto, be sure to remember the .exe extension.
* startxwin now automatically finds an unused DISPLAY number, just like
* startxwin now includes a default startxwinrc (if ~/.startxwinrc is
absent) which launches a number of applicable "autostart" session
services if present.
* The new default startxwinrc also launches a miniature fbpanel in the
upper left corner of the screen which contains an XDG application menu
(the 'X' icon) for launching X applications, plus an on-demand area for
X tray icons. After the first run, the panel and menu can be customized
* User-defined ~/.startxwinrc files must now be executable, the final
command therein must be run in the foreground, and that command's
exiting will end the X session, just like with startx and ~/.xinitrc or
* Both startx and startxwin now start a D-Bus session bus automatically.
* X sessions (both multwindow and desktop) started with the newly
revised Start Menu shortcuts now log stderr to ~/.xsession-errors.
* startx now prefers ~/.Xclients (which must also be executable) instead
of ~/.xinitrc; the latter can still be used, but doing so will override
many of the new features mentioned here.
* If startx is run from the command line and neither ~/.xinitrc nor
~/.Xclients are present, it will try to start a real desktop environment
if present before falling back to twm/xterm.
* startx and startxwin now pass '-nolisten tcp' to the server by
default, which increases security in the X server by not opening a port
to TCP connections. The '-listen' flag can be passed as a server
argument to override this.
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] only message in thread
only message in thread, other threads:[~2014-11-28 3:04 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: (only message) (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2014-11-28 3:04 Updated: xinit-1.3.4-1 (Major overhaul of X session handling) Yaakov Selkowitz
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).