* Re: internet required?
@ 2004-01-12 22:44 fergus
From: fergus @ 2004-01-12 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus

Actually, I think there's something to this. A few versions of XWin ago (I
can look it up if it will help) I could use X in a Cygwin process from a
portable CD by initiating the process as

    bash
    mount -buf "c:/tmp" /tmp/
    XWin -nolisten local -multiwindow &
    rxvt -display localhost:0.0

and this allowed me an X environment with no internet access (and from any
Windows machine, even if not networked). (Plus appropriate tweaks to .bashrc
etc. The point of this email is not the portability of the system but the
useability of XWin in a portable context.)

Today I made a new CD, with a completely up-to-date Cygwin. Something HAS
altered because now the 4th line gives me a "rxvt cannot open display" error
msg, and it is clear that Norton Firewall is taking an interest whereas
previously this had not occurred (presumably the -nolisten local switch
played a role here?)

More details, if I can, if you need them ...

Thanks.

Fergus

* Re: internet required?
@ 2004-01-12 21:05 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Yes, it probably is a Zone Alarm problem.  Anything that effects the IP
stack on Windows can potentially cause problems and/or slow downs in the
performance of Cygwin/X.  Have you tried disabling Zone Alarm?

It is interesting that Zone Alarm is having trouble distinquishing
between connections to the local machine (127.0.0.1) vs. the actual
internet (!127.0.0.1).

Harold

Eric LaBolle wrote:

> Sorry, about the message below - seems to be the Zone Alarm problem
>

> Why does it run sooooo slow.  It appears to be accessing the internet at
> all times.  When I shutdown the internet connection Xwin won't work.  I
> lauched from the DOS bat file. Help
>

> Eric M. LaBolle, Ph.D.
> Hydrologic Sciences, University of California, Davis
> Davis, CA 95616
> Phone: 530-753-8999; FAX: 530-753-5185
> emlabolle@ucdavis.edu

* internet required?