* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-09 16:53 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

) What happens if you start the bash directly from the tcsh window?

It swallows as well!

So it is not the X issue at all, but the bash issue.

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-10  7:22     ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2003-10-10  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

> I have added the patch to a 'test' XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-19 package that
> should be on the mirrors within a few hours.  Please verify that the
> patch operates as planned.

It works as intended.  Thank you for your work.

Takuma Murakami (murakami@ipl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-09 14:50   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Takuma,

I have added the patch to a 'test' XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-19 package that
should be on the mirrors within a few hours.  Please verify that the
patch operates as planned.

Harold

@ 2003-10-09 13:54 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-10-09 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Dai Itasaka wrote:

> Although I'm not sure about the term "console window", if that means
> the window that is created by invoking "Cygwin Bash Shell" in the
> start menu, then the answer is yes I can type an 's' in that window.

You've done
 - started tcsh
    - started xterm (with bash)

What happens if you start the bash directly from the tcsh window?

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-09  4:48 ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2003-10-09  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-10-08 17:32 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-08 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

) > Additional information.
) >
) > This weird behavior can only be observed in an xterm with bash.
) > If I invoke it by "xterm -e tcsh" then no problem. If I do
) > "xterm -e bash" (or without -e bash) then no 's' allowed at
) > the prompt. I can't type nor paste.
)
) can you please start xev and enter an 's' in the Event Test window?
)
) For me it prints
) KeyPress event, serial 21, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
)     root 0x48, subw 0x2a00002, time 5886066, (12,57), root:(323,523),
)     state 0x0, keycode 39 (keysym 0x73, s), same_screen YES,
)     XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "s"
)
) If the last line reports an "s" too, the I suspect a problem with the
) inputrc file. Can you enter an "s" if the bash is running in a console
) window?

With xev, it does report an 's', exactly like that.

@ 2003-10-08 12:51 Thomas Chadwick
From: Thomas Chadwick @ 2003-10-08 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Oh, OK.  In that case, maybe rsh would be a useful alternative?  Here's
something I do all the time from the local host running the Cygwin Xserver:

    xhost remotehost
    rsh remotehost xterm -display localhost:0 &

You can even wrap it inside a shell script:

    #!/bin/sh

    rhost=$1
    lhost=`hostname`

    xhost $rhost
    rsh $rhost xterm -display $lhost:0

If you save this as, say, "rxterm", you'd call it with simply:

    rxterm remotehostname

>From: "Dai Itasaka" <ditasaka@silverbacksystems.com>
>To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
>Subject: Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:30:32 -0700
>
>I have no intention to secure the X connection.
>I use ssh simply because the remote guy doesn't have a telnet server
>running. Do I still need to use the -X option?
>

>) By the way, you're using ssh all wrong. What you should really be doing
>is:
>)
>) 1) Invoke startxwin.sh
>) 2) In the local xterm, verify that the value of DISPLAY is 127.0.0.1:0
>) (and set it to that if it is not)
>) 3) ssh to the remote box using the "-X" flag to enable X-forwarding.
>) 4) Once connected to the remote host, verify that the value of DISPLAY
>) is something like remotehost:8.
>) 5) Run your remote X-clients normally.

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-08 11:58 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-10-08 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-10-07 21:57 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-07 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Additional information.

This weird behavior can only be observed in an xterm with bash.
If I invoke it by "xterm -e tcsh" then no problem. If I do
"xterm -e bash" (or without -e bash) then no 's' allowed at
the prompt. I can't type nor paste.

The stdout still works so that I do see all the 's'es in
a command output. But not at the shell prompt. The bash shell
prompt.

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-07 21:30 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-07 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-10-07 21:20 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-07 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I'm using Windows XP Professional. The "Regional and Language Options"
in the ControlPanel says:

  Regional Options tab:
    Standards and formats: English(United States)
    Location: United States
  Language tab:
    Text Services and Input Languages: Japanese - MS Natural Input 2002 v8.1
  Advanced tab:
    Language for non-Unicode programs: Japanese

I cannot live without doing that setxkbmap because otherwise I will be
in a bigger sh^H^H hole where the at mark becomes the double quotation,
the double quotation becomes the star, the star becomes the left parenthesis,
the left parenthesis becomes right....crazy.

) What language is Windows using by default?
)
) You have, or course, tried this same demo (very carefully, I might add)
) to make sure that the same problem happens when you don't use setxkbmap?
)
) Harold
)
) Dai Itasaka wrote:
)
) > I did:
) >
) >  setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc104 -layout us -option ""
) >
) > XWin was invoked without any option in startxwin.sh. (XWin &)
) >
) > The keyboard is a normal US keyboard. (101? It's from Dell)
) >
) >
) > ) Are you installing your own keymap?
) > )
) > ) Are you using an XF86Config file?
) > )
) > ) What keyboard layout is Windows configured for?
) > )
) > ) Harold
) > )
) > ) Dai Itasaka wrote:
) > )
) > ) > Hello list,
) > ) >
) > ) > Here is what I did:
) > ) >
) > ) > - Opened several tcsh windows (as separate MS Window apps)
) > ) > - Started X by invoking "startxwin.sh" which gave me one big root window
) > ) >   and one xterm window
) > ) > - In this xterm window, I did:
) > ) >     > xhost 10.0.1.2
) > ) >     > ssh myname@10.0.1.2
) > ) >     (now I'm logged in)
) > ) >     > setenv DISPLAY 10.0.1.1:0
) > ) >     (10.0.1.1 is the Windows PC with cygwin running, 10.0.1.2 is a Linux
) > box)
) > ) >     > twm &
) > ) >     (now the desktop is managed by twm)
) > ) > - Opened a few more xterm windows from twm and already opened xterm
) > ) > - Went back to one of the tcsh window and did:
) > ) >     > setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
) > ) >     > xterm
) > ) >
) > ) > This opened up one xterm window in the X desktop with "bash-2.05b"
prompt.
) > ) > In this xterm window, I couldn't type the letter 's'. Not only I
couldn't
) > ) > type, but I was unable to yank and copy a string with 's'. For example,
) > ) > I yanked a string "tcsh" in another xterm window and pasted it in this
) > ) > troubled xterm window, it displayed "tch". For another example, I yanked
) > ) > the word "Mississippi" from /usr/share/dict/words and pasted it and got
) > ) > "Miiippi". I had no such problem in any other xterm windows but this.
) > ) >
) > ) > What was happening?
) > ) >
) > ) >
) > ) >>uname -a
) > ) >
) > ) > CYGWIN_NT-5.1 myname 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown
unknown
) > ) > Cygwin
) > ) >
) > ) >
) > ) >

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-07 21:07 Thomas Chadwick
From: Thomas Chadwick @ 2003-10-07 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

By the way, you're using ssh all wrong.  What you should really be doing is:

1) Invoke startxwin.sh
2) In the local xterm, verify that the value of DISPLAY is 127.0.0.1:0 (and
set it to that if it is not)
3) ssh to the remote box using the "-X" flag to enable X-forwarding.
4) Once connected to the remote host, verify that the value of DISPLAY is
something like remotehost:8.
5) Run your remote X-clients normally.

>From: "Dai Itasaka" <ditasaka@silverbacksystems.com>
>To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
>Subject: Mississippi -> Miiippi
>Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:56:06 -0700
>
>Hello list,
>
>Here is what I did:
>
>- Opened several tcsh windows (as separate MS Window apps)
>- Started X by invoking "startxwin.sh" which gave me one big root window
>   and one xterm window
>- In this xterm window, I did:
>     > xhost 10.0.1.2
>     > ssh myname@10.0.1.2
>     (now I'm logged in)
>     > setenv DISPLAY 10.0.1.1:0
>     (10.0.1.1 is the Windows PC with cygwin running, 10.0.1.2 is a Linux
>box)
>     > twm &
>     (now the desktop is managed by twm)
>- Opened a few more xterm windows from twm and already opened xterm
>- Went back to one of the tcsh window and did:
>     > setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
>     > xterm
>
>This opened up one xterm window in the X desktop with "bash-2.05b" prompt.
>In this xterm window, I couldn't type the letter 's'. Not only I couldn't
>type, but I was unable to yank and copy a string with 's'. For example,
>I yanked a string "tcsh" in another xterm window and pasted it in this
>troubled xterm window, it displayed "tch". For another example, I yanked
>the word "Mississippi" from /usr/share/dict/words and pasted it and got
>"Miiippi". I had no such problem in any other xterm windows but this.
>
>What was happening?
>
> >uname -a
>CYGWIN_NT-5.1 myname 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown unknown
>Cygwin

Share your photos without swamping your Inbox.  Get Hotmail Extra Storage

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-07 20:41 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dai,

Dai Itasaka wrote:

> I did:
>
>  setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc104 -layout us -option ""
>
> XWin was invoked without any option in startxwin.sh. (XWin &)
>
> The keyboard is a normal US keyboard. (101? It's from Dell)
>

> ) Are you installing your own keymap?
> )
> ) Are you using an XF86Config file?
> )
> ) What keyboard layout is Windows configured for?
> )
> ) Harold
> )
> ) Dai Itasaka wrote:
> )
> ) > Hello list,
> ) >
> ) > Here is what I did:
> ) >
> ) > - Opened several tcsh windows (as separate MS Window apps)
> ) > - Started X by invoking "startxwin.sh" which gave me one big root window
> ) >   and one xterm window
> ) > - In this xterm window, I did:
> ) >     > xhost 10.0.1.2
> ) >     > ssh myname@10.0.1.2
> ) >     (now I'm logged in)
> ) >     > setenv DISPLAY 10.0.1.1:0
> ) >     (10.0.1.1 is the Windows PC with cygwin running, 10.0.1.2 is a Linux
> box)
> ) >     > twm &
> ) >     (now the desktop is managed by twm)
> ) > - Opened a few more xterm windows from twm and already opened xterm
> ) > - Went back to one of the tcsh window and did:
> ) >     > setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
> ) >     > xterm
> ) >
> ) > This opened up one xterm window in the X desktop with "bash-2.05b" prompt.
> ) > In this xterm window, I couldn't type the letter 's'. Not only I couldn't
> ) > type, but I was unable to yank and copy a string with 's'. For example,
> ) > I yanked a string "tcsh" in another xterm window and pasted it in this
> ) > troubled xterm window, it displayed "tch". For another example, I yanked
> ) > the word "Mississippi" from /usr/share/dict/words and pasted it and got
> ) > "Miiippi". I had no such problem in any other xterm windows but this.
> ) >
> ) > What was happening?
> ) >
> ) >
> ) >>uname -a
> ) >
> ) > CYGWIN_NT-5.1 myname 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown unknown
> ) > Cygwin
> ) >
> ) >

* Re: Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-07 18:37 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I did:

 setxkbmap -rules xfree86 -model pc104 -layout us -option ""

XWin was invoked without any option in startxwin.sh. (XWin &)

The keyboard is a normal US keyboard. (101? It's from Dell)

) Are you installing your own keymap?
)
) Are you using an XF86Config file?
)
) What keyboard layout is Windows configured for?
)
) Harold
)
) Dai Itasaka wrote:
)
) > Hello list,
) >
) > Here is what I did:
) >

@ 2003-10-07 18:07 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-07 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dai,

Dai Itasaka wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> - Opened several tcsh windows (as separate MS Window apps)
> - Started X by invoking "startxwin.sh" which gave me one big root window
>   and one xterm window
> - In this xterm window, I did:
>     > xhost 10.0.1.2
>     > ssh myname@10.0.1.2
>     (now I'm logged in)
>     > setenv DISPLAY 10.0.1.1:0
>     (10.0.1.1 is the Windows PC with cygwin running, 10.0.1.2 is a Linux box)
>     > twm &
>     (now the desktop is managed by twm)
> - Opened a few more xterm windows from twm and already opened xterm
> - Went back to one of the tcsh window and did:
>     > setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
>     > xterm
>
> This opened up one xterm window in the X desktop with "bash-2.05b" prompt.
> In this xterm window, I couldn't type the letter 's'. Not only I couldn't
> type, but I was unable to yank and copy a string with 's'. For example,
> I yanked a string "tcsh" in another xterm window and pasted it in this
> troubled xterm window, it displayed "tch". For another example, I yanked
> the word "Mississippi" from /usr/share/dict/words and pasted it and got
> "Miiippi". I had no such problem in any other xterm windows but this.
>
> What was happening?
>

>>uname -a
>
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 myname 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20 16:31 i686 unknown unknown
> Cygwin

* Mississippi -> Miiippi
@ 2003-10-07 17:56 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-07 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello list,

Here is what I did:

- Opened several tcsh windows (as separate MS Window apps)
- Started X by invoking "startxwin.sh" which gave me one big root window
  and one xterm window
- In this xterm window, I did:
    > xhost 10.0.1.2
    > ssh myname@10.0.1.2