* Suggestions for speed
@ 2004-01-26  5:18 test524
From: test524 @ 2004-01-26  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi all,

I'd like to solicit some suggestions for making my remote KDE session faster. I currently connect to a machine running Debian stable (woody) with SSH and X11 Port Forwarding. I'm connecting across an 802.11b wireless network, which is limited to 11Mbps.

I see from some previous posts that it appears I might do better with a 54 (or 108) Mbps network connection--that's definitely something to try.

What else, though, would people suggest to speed things up? (Windows redraw quite slowly.)

-Should I try XDMCP? Is it faster than port forwarding with SSH?

-Should I add more RAM to the Linux box? (It has 128MB with a PIII at 667 MHz.)

-Does the amount video memory on the Linux box matter? How about on the Windows machine (hard to change because it's a laptop...)?

I've tried ssh -C, but don't notice much of an improvement.

Thanks for any suggestions.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-01-26  5:18 UTC | newest]