* X server shutdown or killed/destroyed
@ 2011-07-28 15:33 Howard Feil
From: Howard Feil @ 2011-07-28 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have installed cygwin on several windows XP 32bit machines.  To do the install I used the defaults and then installed all of X11 and
Networks.  After a little while when opening a new windows, I get the
error:

The application 'gedit' lost its connection to the display localhost:11.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

It doesn't matter what I do next, nothing simple makes the x-server come back alive.

This
 is happening on multiple machines.  For some reasons I have other
machines that never have a problem.  These machines may have older
installations.

Any advice is appreciated.

Howard