* most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-25 20:07 George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-25 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

                              2012.02.25.19:18:18 UT

Hey cygwin-x folks,

      I just installed the xorg-server-1.11.4-5, and I
thought that some aspect of its configuration may have
broken the xfig program on my box.  This however was
untrue.  When I reverted to xorg-server-1.11.4-1, the
xfig crashed on startup as before, and I concluded
that it must be a difficulty only with xfig.

      I am running on a Dell Optiplex 380 with an Intel
Core2 E7500 2.93 GHz CPU, 4.0 GBt DRAM and an 150 GBt
Western Digital HD.  The OS is WinXp Pro. 32-bit, and
is fully up-to-date.  My CygWin installation is 1.7.10-1,
the xorg-server is 1.11.4-5, and everything in that
sub-system is up-to-date.

      The xfig is a minor part of the things I use,
but I do like to have it around.  It fails to start,
issuing the messages:

> gbarrick@TS207 ~/figs/sqaccel
> $ xfig sqposn.fig &
> [1] 2904
>
> gbarrick@TS207 ~/figs/sqaccel
> $ /usr/bin/xfig.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
> ?: cannot open shared object file:
>  No such file or directory

I ran the cygcheck on the xfig package, but it claims
that none of the required resources or libraries are
missing.

> $ cygcheck xfig
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
> D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygX11-6.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygxcb-1.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXau-6.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXdmcp-6.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXaw3d-7.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygXext-6.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygXmu-6.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXt-6.dll
>         D:\cygwin\bin\cygICE-6.dll
>         D:\cygwin\bin\cygSM-6.dll
>           D:\cygwin\bin\cyguuid-1.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXi-6.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-4.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg-7.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygpng12.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll

I had reason to suspect that it was the
xorg-server because new versions had recently
been installed.  When I reverted to the previous
xorg-server-1.11.4-1, everything was not O.K.
The xfig still has the problem.

     I next ran the experiment where I installed
up to the xorg-server-1.11.4-5, but reverted to
xfig-3.2.5b-1.  I set back the three xfig packages to:

xfig-3.2.5b-1
xfig-lib-3.2.5b-1
transfig-3.2.5c-1

Once this was done, the xfig functions again. Its
cygcheck now reads:

> gbarrick@TS207 ~/figs/sqaccel
> $ cygcheck xfig
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
> D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>       C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>         C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygX11-6.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygxcb-1.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXau-6.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXdmcp-6.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXaw3d-7.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygXext-6.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygXmu-6.dll
>       D:\cygwin\bin\cygXt-6.dll
>         D:\cygwin\bin\cygICE-6.dll
>         D:\cygwin\bin\cygSM-6.dll
>           D:\cygwin\bin\cyguuid-1.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXi-6.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-4.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg-7.dll
>   D:\cygwin\bin\cygpng12.dll
>     D:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll

I see no difference in the cygcheck output, and
so I guess that my only criticism is that the
newer xfig-3.2.5b-2 fails to run, outputting the
complaint about a missing *.so file.  A visual
scan of my /var/log/xwin/Xwin.0.log did not reveal
anything unusual.

     I hope that this report contains enough detail
for the xorg developers to reproduce and find the
problem.  If anything more is required, just ask me.

George Barrick                 g_barrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-26  0:40 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-26  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/25/2012 9:06 PM, George Barrick wrote:

> Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
>
>                                2012.02.25.19:18:18 UT
>
> Hey cygwin-x folks,
>
>        I just installed the xorg-server-1.11.4-5, and I
> thought that some aspect of its configuration may have
> broken the xfig program on my box.  This however was
> untrue.  When I reverted to xorg-server-1.11.4-1, the
> xfig crashed on startup as before, and I concluded
> that it must be a difficulty only with xfig.
>
>        I am running on a Dell Optiplex 380 with an Intel
> Core2 E7500 2.93 GHz CPU, 4.0 GBt DRAM and an 150 GBt
> Western Digital HD.  The OS is WinXp Pro. 32-bit, and
> is fully up-to-date.  My CygWin installation is 1.7.10-1,
> the xorg-server is 1.11.4-5, and everything in that
> sub-system is up-to-date.
>
>        The xfig is a minor part of the things I use,
> but I do like to have it around.  It fails to start,
> issuing the messages:
>
>> gbarrick@TS207 ~/figs/sqaccel
>> $ xfig sqposn.fig&
>> [1] 2904
>>
>> gbarrick@TS207 ~/figs/sqaccel
>> $ /usr/bin/xfig.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
>> ?: cannot open shared object file:
>>   No such file or directory
>
> I ran the cygcheck on the xfig package, but it claims
> that none of the required resources or libraries are
> missing.
>
>> $ cygcheck xfig
>> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
>> Found: D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
>> D:\cygwin\bin\xfig.exe
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll
>>      D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>>        C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>>          C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygX11-6.dll
>>      D:\cygwin\bin\cygxcb-1.dll
>>        D:\cygwin\bin\cygXau-6.dll
>>        D:\cygwin\bin\cygXdmcp-6.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygXaw3d-7.dll
>>      D:\cygwin\bin\cygXext-6.dll
>>      D:\cygwin\bin\cygXmu-6.dll
>>        D:\cygwin\bin\cygXt-6.dll
>>          D:\cygwin\bin\cygICE-6.dll
>>          D:\cygwin\bin\cygSM-6.dll
>>            D:\cygwin\bin\cyguuid-1.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygXi-6.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygXpm-4.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygjpeg-7.dll
>>    D:\cygwin\bin\cygpng12.dll
>>      D:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
>
> I had reason to suspect that it was the
> xorg-server because new versions had recently
> been installed.  When I reverted to the previous
> xorg-server-1.11.4-1, everything was not O.K.
> The xfig still has the problem.
>
> George Barrick                 g_barrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

just installed xfig on latest  xorg-srver 1.11.4-5
and it works.

You have likely an old version of one of the several
dll's.

Dependency Walker can help to find the wrong dll
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

or you can use strace

Regards
Marco

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 12:47   ` George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-27 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

                         2012.02.27.12:45:48 UT

Hi Marco (and cygwin-x folks),

     I will try the experiment that I think
you are suggesting.  If the .so is part of an
older .dll, then a reinstallation of the
packages should clear up the problem.  I
have not yet done that however because the
same difficulty is emerging with the octave-3.6
that was released over the weekend.

     The message that I get is:

gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
$ octave
/usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The cygcheck for octave indicates no particular
problem:

gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
$ cygcheck octave
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\octave
Found: D:\cygwin\bin\octave
 -> D:\cygwin\bin\octave-3.6.1.exe
D:\cygwin\bin\octave-3.6.1.exe
  D:\cygwin\bin\cygoctinterp-1.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cygoctave-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygcruft-1.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll
          D:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cyggfortran-3.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cygstdc++-6.dll
        D:\cygwin\lib\lapack\cygblas-0.dll
        D:\cygwin\lib\lapack\cyglapack-0.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline7.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cygncursesw-10.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygfftw3-3.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygfftw3f-3.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygpcre-0.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygqrupdate-0.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cygGL-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygglapi-0.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygX11-xcb-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygX11-6.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cygxcb-1.dll
          D:\cygwin\bin\cygXau-6.dll
          D:\cygwin\bin\cygXdmcp-6.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygxcb-glx-0.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cygGLU-1.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cygfontconfig-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygexpat-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll
        D:\cygwin\bin\cygbz2-1.dll
      D:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
    D:\cygwin\bin\cyghdf5-7.dll

    I also examined the file /var/log/setup.log.full,
but saw only messages that looked like successful
installations of the many hundreds of files in the
octave packages, plus a few messages from "io_stream:mklink"
that seem to indicate successful creation of links.

    Is there anything that I might do to narrow
down the .so or .dll that is causing the problem?
It seems quite odd, because this is a new installation
of cygwin (about three weeks old), and I do not think
that it has had time to get mucked up with old .dll's
and such.

George                     g_barrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 13:14     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/27/2012 1:47 PM, George Barrick wrote:
> Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
>
>                           2012.02.27.12:45:48 UT
>
> Hi Marco (and cygwin-x folks),
>
>       I will try the experiment that I think
> you are suggesting.  If the .so is part of an
> older .dll, then a reinstallation of the
> packages should clear up the problem.  I
> have not yet done that however because the
> same difficulty is emerging with the octave-3.6
> that was released over the weekend.
>
>       The message that I get is:
>
> gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
> $ octave
> /usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
> ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

now you triggered all my attention as octave package maintainer

try this

$ cd /bin
$ strace -o /tmp/octave.strace octave-3.6.1.exe --version

it should open a system message window mentioning what is missing

> George                     g_barrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

regards
Marco

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 14:36       ` George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-27 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

> >       The message that I get is:
> >
> > gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
> > $ octave
> > /usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
> > ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> now you triggered all my attention as octave package maintainer
>
> try this
>
> $ cd /bin
> $ strace -o /tmp/octave.strace octave-3.6.1.exe --version
>
> it should open a system message window mentioning what is missing
>
> regards
> Marco

Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

Hi Marco,

     I ran strace on the octave-3.6.1.exe and
got an empty message file.  However, that strace
terminated with a WinXP error alert box that
said:

octav-3.6.1.exe - Unable to locate component
[
[ This application has failed to start because
[ D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll
[ was not found.  Re-installing the application
[ may fix this problem.
[

I guess that something is seriously screwed-up if
my octave is trying to access a .dll from my
antivirus program.  I did install a program
upgrade from Avast on Friday.  It seems to be
a bit more intrusive than the previous versions.
However, my upgrade to octave-3.6.1 did not occur
until this morning.

@ 2012-02-27 14:47         ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/27/2012 3:35 PM, George Barrick wrote:
>>>        The message that I get is:
>>>
>>> gbarrick@TS207 ~/jpegs/figs
>>> $ octave
>>> /usr/bin/octave-3.6.1.exe: error while loading shared libraries:
>>> ?: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> now you triggered all my attention as octave package maintainer
>>
>> try this
>>
>> $ cd /bin
>> $ strace -o /tmp/octave.strace octave-3.6.1.exe --version
>>
>> it should open a system message window mentioning what is missing
>>
>> regards
>> Marco
>
> Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
>
> Hi Marco,
>
>       I ran strace on the octave-3.6.1.exe and
> got an empty message file.

of course, octave process never started :-)

However, that strace
> terminated with a WinXP error alert box that
> said:
>
> octav-3.6.1.exe - Unable to locate component
> [
> [ This application has failed to start because
> [ D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll
> [ was not found.  Re-installing the application
> [ may fix this problem.
> [
>
> I guess that something is seriously screwed-up if
> my octave is trying to access a .dll from my
> antivirus program.  I did install a program
> upgrade from Avast on Friday.  It seems to be
> a bit more intrusive than the previous versions.
> However, my upgrade to octave-3.6.1 did not occur
> until this morning.
>
> George                 gbarrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

Hi George,
probably octave is just the victim of Avast
I suspect the your antivirus is screwing up cygwin in general.
Probably it tries to inject a dll in the dll chain

does "D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll" exist ?

Regards
Marco

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 15:01           ` George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-27 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Subj: most recent xfig-3.5.2b-2 broken.

                             2012.02.27.15:00:43 UT

> Hi George,
> probably octave is just the victim of Avast I suspect that
> your antivirus is screwing up cygwin in general.
> Probably it tries to inject a dll in the dll chain
>
> does "D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll" exist ?
>
> Regards
> Marco

Hi Marco,

     Yes. The file exists, but it is in the sub-directory
Avast5 of the AlwilSoftware directory.  Apparently their
installer does not make everything perfect when it upgrades
from a previous version.

      Should I then rip out both cygwin and the antivirus,
then run a re-install of antivirus first, then the cygwin?
Forgive me, install and re-install pretty much summarizes
my suite of computing skills.  When all that I have is a
hammer, everything looks to me like a "hammer" kind of
job.

@ 2012-02-27 15:05             ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/27/2012 4:01 PM, George Barrick wrote:
> Subj: most recent xfig-3.5.2b-2 broken.
>
>                               2012.02.27.15:00:43 UT
>
>> Hi George,
>> probably octave is just the victim of Avast I suspect that
>> your antivirus is screwing up cygwin in general.
>> Probably it tries to inject a dll in the dll chain
>>
>> does "D:\Program Files\AlwilSoftware\Avast\snxhk.dll" exist ?
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>
> Hi Marco,
>
>       Yes. The file exists, but it is in the sub-directory
> Avast5 of the AlwilSoftware directory.  Apparently their
> installer does not make everything perfect when it upgrades
> from a previous version.
>
>        Should I then rip out both cygwin and the antivirus,
> then run a re-install of antivirus first, then the cygwin?
> Forgive me, install and re-install pretty much summarizes
> my suite of computing skills.  When all that I have is a
> hammer, everything looks to me like a "hammer" kind of
> job.
>
> George                          gbarrick_at_walsh_dot_edu

I see no reason to re-install cygwin. It is purely a Avast problem

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 16:21               ` George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-27 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Subj: most recent xfig-3.5.2b-2 broken.

                              2012.02.27.16:18:08 UT

> I see no reason to re-install cygwin. It is purely a Avast problem

Hi Marco,

      I went and re-installed my antivirus so that its
files would be stored in a better directory.  That has
fixed my problem, as the av still slips .dll's into the
execution stack when I run cygwin processes, but now
my system knows where everything can be found.

       I tested the new octave.  At first it crashed
when I asked for plots, but then I did the:

rebaseall -v

from the ash-shell, and everything works.  Both the
latest xfig and the new octave-3.6.1 work as they
should.  Thank you for your patience.

@ 2012-02-27 16:37                 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-02-27 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 2/27/2012 5:20 PM, George Barrick wrote:
> Subj: most recent xfig-3.5.2b-2 broken.
>
>                                2012.02.27.16:18:08 UT
>

>> I see no reason to re-install cygwin. It is purely a Avast problem
>>

> Hi Marco,
>
>        I went and re-installed my antivirus so that its
> files would be stored in a better directory.  That has
> fixed my problem, as the av still slips .dll's into the
> execution stack when I run cygwin processes, but now
> my system knows where everything can be found.
>
>         I tested the new octave.  At first it crashed
> when I asked for plots, but then I did the:
>
> rebaseall -v

Hi George
if you see fork problem on the *.oct dll's of octave

please try
   "rebaseall -s 'dll|so|oct'"

> from the ash-shell, and everything works.  Both the
> latest xfig and the new octave-3.6.1 work as they
> should.  Thank you for your patience.
>
> George

you are welcome
Marco

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-27 19:34                 ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2012-02-27 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 11:20 -0500, George Barrick wrote:
>       I went and re-installed my antivirus so that its
> files would be stored in a better directory.  That has
> fixed my problem, as the av still slips .dll's into the
> execution stack when I run cygwin processes, but now
> my system knows where everything can be found.

Unfortunately Avast 5 is BLODA:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

Yaakov
Cygwin/X

* Re: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.
@ 2012-02-25 20:22 George Barrick
From: George Barrick @ 2012-02-25 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Subj: most recent xfig-3.2.5b-2 broken.

                     2012.02.25.20:19:51 UT

cygwin-x folks,

      I mis-typed at the end of my message.
I should say something like: "hope that
XFIG developers can reproduce and find the
problem".

      I would not want to burden the xorg-guys
with trivial stuff like this.  I realize that
not many folks use clunky old things like xfig
anymore; but if it works, I keep it.  My letter
will perhaps only help other dinosaurs like me,
should they have this problem with xfig.

George              gbarrick_at_walsh_dot_edu