* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 96
@ 2003-08-27 20:07 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-08-27 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygxannounce, cygx

Links:

I just posted Test 96 to the server development page:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/shadow/

You can install the Test 96 package via setup.exe by selecting the
following version of the XFree86-xserv package:		4.3.0-4

Server Test Series binary and source code releases are now
available via the sources.redhat.com ftp mirror network
(http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html) in the
pub/cygwin/xfree/devel/shadow/ directory.  You may wish to note the
desired filename in the links below, then download from your
closest mirror (http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html).

Server binary, direct link:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/XWin-Test96.exe.bz2 (1265 KiB)

Server source, direct link:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/xwin-20030827-1505.tar.bz2 (127
KiB)

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin (all files) diff against Test95 source code:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/xwin-Test95-to-Test96.diff
(50 KiB)

Changes:

1) winprefs* - Add a system to allow the user to specify arbitrary
commands for the system tray menu (e.g. program launching shortcuts)
as well as custom icons for certain window classes.  This is a huge
system and is really very amazing.  Preferences are stored in
~/.XWinrc or in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/system.XWinrc, which is formatted
as in this example .XWinrc file
(http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/example.XWinrc).  (Earle F.
Philhower III)

2) winmultiwindowclass.c - Fix a string copy bug in MultiWindow mode
that was likely to have been causing crashes for some people.  (Earle
F. Philhower III)

3) winconfig.c - Add new defaults for keyboardlayout: English (USA,
Dvorak) and Norwegian.  (Alexander Gottwald)
Enjoy,

Harold

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 96
@ 2003-08-28 14:24 ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2003-08-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have downloaded and installed XFree86-xserv 4.3.0-4, but it seems that
it holds the old version of XWin.exe. In fact the menu doesn't work,
while if I download the binary at
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/XWin-Test96.exe.bz2 it works.

Bye,

	Danilo

P.S. Thank your very much for Cygwin-XFree: it's wonderful!

@ 2003-08-28 14:31   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-08-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Danilo,

When you say that the menu doesn't work, do you mean that you have
created a valid .XWinrc file and Test96 uses it while 4.3.0-4 ignores it?

Harold

@ 2003-08-28 14:42   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-08-28 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Danilo,

You are right.  I forgot a crucial step in the packaging of 4.3.0-4.
4.3.0-5 is on its way to mirrors and should be the correct version this
time.

Thanks for catching this,

Harold

@ 2003-09-12 10:03 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Links:
> I just posted Test 96 to the server development page:
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/shadow/
[snip!]
> 3) winconfig.c - Add new defaults for keyboardlayout: English (USA,
> Dvorak) and Norwegian.  (Alexander Gottwald)

The "Alt Gr" key doesn't work properly on the Norwegian keyboard.
When pressing "Alt Gr"+2 to get "@" in GNU Emacs, I get "C-2" in the
minibuffer instead.

Looks like "Alt Gr" may be interpreted as the control key?  Is there a
way to debug this?

This is in rootless mode, and without an XF86Config file, on
xfree86-xserv 4.3.0-5, which is the one I got when I ran setup.exe
today, to upgrade my cygwin installation.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 96
@ 2003-09-12 10:28   ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-09-12 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Steinar Bang wrote:

> The "Alt Gr" key doesn't work properly on the Norwegian keyboard.
> When pressing "Alt Gr"+2 to get "@" in GNU Emacs, I get "C-2" in the
> minibuffer instead.
>
> Looks like "Alt Gr" may be interpreted as the control key?  Is there a
> way to debug this?

Do you have Windows XP? This is a known problem.

See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00080.html
and following posts for more information.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 96
@ 2003-09-15  8:14     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-15  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Do you have Windows XP?

No.  Win2k.

> This is a known problem.

> See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00080.html
> and following posts for more information.

Hm... I'm not using XDMCP, and this worked in the previous release of
the server, when setting the keyboard with the XF86Config file(*)
Also, I don't think it's the same problem, because my AltGr works,
only it's interpreted as Ctrl.

Or so I think.  I'll look at it later today.  No time now.

- Steinar

(*) I tried using the XF86Config file on this release as well, but the
    behaviour was the same as with autodetect of the keyboard.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 96
@ 2003-09-15 18:44       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-09-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Steinar,

Perhaps Test99/4.3.0-9 fixes your problem?

Harold

Steinar Bang wrote:

>>Do you have Windows XP?
>

> No.  Win2k.
>

>>This is a known problem.
>

>>See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00080.html
>>and following posts for more information.
>

> Hm... I'm not using XDMCP, and this worked in the previous release of
> the server, when setting the keyboard with the XF86Config file(*)
> Also, I don't think it's the same problem, because my AltGr works,
> only it's interpreted as Ctrl.
>
> Or so I think.  I'll look at it later today.  No time now.
>

> - Steinar
>
> (*) I tried using the XF86Config file on this release as well, but the
>     behaviour was the same as with autodetect of the keyboard.

* AltGr is CTRL on Norwegian keyboard (Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server...)
@ 2003-09-16 12:02         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-16 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Perhaps Test99/4.3.0-9 fixes your problem?

Nope.  I did an update today, and the AltGr button still misbehaves.
I ran xev and pressed and released AltGr.  Here's the result:

KeyPress event, serial 17, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
    root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 12190428, (79,107), root:(85,132),
    state 0x0, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

KeyRelease event, serial 22, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
    root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 12190679, (79,107), root:(85,132),
    state 0x80, keycode 113 (keysym 0xfe03, ISO_Level3_Shift), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

* Re: AltGr is CTRL on Norwegian keyboard (Was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server...)
@ 2003-09-16 13:01           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-09-16 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

You don't have any of the Windows PowerToys installed, do you?

Harold

@ 2003-09-16 19:23             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-09-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> You don't have any of the Windows PowerToys installed, do you?

Not intentially.

Can they be installed during a service pack upgrade?  Can they be
remotely installed by "helpful" IT support people?  Is there a way to
find out if I have them installed?

And do PowerToys exist for Win2k? (a search for powertoy on
www.google.com just popped up "Powertoys for XP)

* Re: AltGr is CTRL on Norwegian/German keyboard
@ 2003-09-22 14:35               ` Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2003-09-22 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Dienstag, 16. September 2003 21:23, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > You don't have any of the Windows PowerToys installed, do you?
>
> Not intentially.
>
> Can they be installed during a service pack upgrade?  Can they be
> remotely installed by "helpful" IT support people?  Is there a way to
> find out if I have them installed?
>
> And do PowerToys exist for Win2k? (a search for powertoy on
> www.google.com just popped up "Powertoys for XP)

I have the same problems here with a German keyboard. The pressing of the key
with (less,greater,bar) does not result in any character.

This worked until I decided to upgrade from Windows NT to Windows XP.

What else beside the data given below can I easily do to help debugging this
problem?

Here is what xev prints:

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 3822466, (194,186), root:(198,233),
    state 0x0, keycode 94 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
    root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 3822566, (194,186), root:(198,233),
    state 0x0, keycode 94 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

Now the output of Spy++:

Two times pressing AltGr:

<00001> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_CONTROL cRepeat:1 ScanCode:1D
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00002> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38
fExtended:1 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00003> 0012019C P WM_SYSKEYUP nVirtKey:VK_CONTROL cRepeat:1 ScanCode:1D
fExtended:0 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:1 fUp:1
<00004> 0012019C P WM_KEYUP nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38 fExtended:1
fAltDown:0 fRepeat:1 fUp:1

<00005> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_CONTROL cRepeat:1 ScanCode:1D
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00006> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38
fExtended:1 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00007> 0012019C P WM_SYSKEYUP nVirtKey:VK_CONTROL cRepeat:1 ScanCode:1D
fExtended:0 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:1 fUp:1
<00008> 0012019C P WM_KEYUP nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38 fExtended:1
fAltDown:0 fRepeat:1 fUp:1

Two times pressing key (less,greater,bar) next to left Shift bar:

<00009> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_OEM_102 cRepeat:1 ScanCode:56
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00010> 0012019C P WM_KEYUP nVirtKey:VK_OEM_102 cRepeat:1 ScanCode:56
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:1 fUp:1

<00011> 0012019C P WM_KEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_OEM_102 cRepeat:1 ScanCode:56
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00012> 0012019C P WM_KEYUP nVirtKey:VK_OEM_102 cRepeat:1 ScanCode:56
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:1 fUp:1

Switching back from Cygwin to Windows using Alt-Tab:

<00013> 0012019C P WM_SYSKEYDOWN nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38
fExtended:0 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:0 fUp:0
<00014> 0012019C P WM_SYSKEYUP nVirtKey:VK_TAB cRepeat:1 ScanCode:0F
fExtended:0 fAltDown:1 fRepeat:0 fUp:1
<00015> 0012019C P WM_SYSKEYUP nVirtKey:VK_MENU cRepeat:1 ScanCode:38
fExtended:0 fAltDown:0 fRepeat:1 fUp:1

Here is my /etc/XF86Config:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"Keyboard"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"	"pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout"	"de"
    Option "XkbVariant"  "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "dummy"
    Driver      "dummy"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "dummy"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "dummy"
    Device      "dummy"
    Monitor     "dummy"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier      "dummy"
    Screen          "dummy"
    InputDevice     "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing. Technische Informatik)
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50

* Re: AltGr is CTRL on Norwegian/German keyboard
@ 2003-09-22 14:42                 ` Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2003-09-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Another interesting detail: inside the KDM login (I access a Linux server
using XDMP) the problematic key works fine. So where is the difference here?

--

@ 2003-09-25  7:01                   ` Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2003-09-25  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi again!

Further facts on keyboard problems:

- after removal of XF86Config nothing changes
- connecting to a Solaris machine running CDE inside the session works fine
but the Linux machine running KDE still has problems
- on the Linux machine: when pressing AltGr then the following appears inside
the .xsession-errors file:

kdecore (KAccel): WARNING: Sym::initQt( ffff ): failed to convert key.

Maybe this is a KDE problem?

--

@ 2003-10-02 13:12                     ` Heiko Nardmann
From: Heiko Nardmann @ 2003-10-02 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi!

I just wanted to state that after updating to the newest Cygwin Software my
problem with the missing <,>,| keys disappeared. Although I do not know what
specifically made this happen ...

A again very happy Cygwin/XFree86 User ...

--
Heiko Nardmann (Dipl.-Ing. Technische Informatik)
secunet Security Networks AG - Sicherheit in Netzwerken (www.secunet.de),
Weidenauer Str. 223-225, D-57076 Siegen
Tel. : +49 271 48950-13, Fax  : +49 271 48950-50

Besuchen Sie uns
vom 20. - 24.10.2003 auf der Systems in München, Halle B2, Stand 315 und
vom 06. - 08.11.2003 auf der Comtec in Dresden, Halle 4, Stand B5.
Wir freuen uns auf das Gespräch mit Ihnen.