* Cygwin XFree ignores the keyboard
@ 2003-10-12 19:34 Jim Scheef
From: Jim Scheef @ 2003-10-12 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello everyone,

I have been using Cygwin XFree86 for some time on a Winbook X1 running XP
Pro, and it was working great with several Linux machines. A couple of months
back it started to ignore the keyboard. IOW, I type and nothing happens in
any Xwindows frame which makes things rather difficult. The mouse still
works.

First I tried doing a 'reinstall' to no effect. Then I uninstalled everything
and did a complete reinstall with the latest versions of Cygwin and Xfree86.
The reinstall seemed to go well but I saw one script error reporting a 'null'
value somewhere. At the time, there was no way to know (that I knew of) to
see exactly which package gave the error so I ignored it and went on.

This issue is not addressed in the FAQ so now I turn to you. All help will be
greatly appreciated.

Jim

http://shopping.yahoo.com

* Re: Cygwin XFree ignores the keyboard
@ 2003-12-15  5:02 David A. Bader
From: David A. Bader @ 2003-12-15  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Can anyone help me with the following?
 Thanks,
-david

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:42:03 -0500
>From: Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: "David A. Bader" <dbader@ece.unm.edu>
Subject: Re: Cygwin XFree ignores the keyboard

Send this to cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com.  Other people can help you.

Harold

David A. Bader wrote:
> Harold,
>
>  I'm having the same problem -- running the latest release of Cygwin on
> my IBM Thinkpad T23 with Win2K.  The keyboard input does not work under
> XFree86, even when the mouse is focussed on the window. (I'm an expert
> X11/UNIX user ) but cannot get XWin to listen to the keyboard. In
> /tmp/XWin.log, I see:
> (EE) No primary keyboard configured
> (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
>
> Any ideas?
> -david

David A. Bader                                  Office: 505-277-6724
Associate Professor and Regents' Lecturer       FAX:    505-277-1439
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of New Mexico                          dbader@ece.unm.edu
Albuquerque, NM  87131                http://www.ece.unm.edu/~dbader

* Re: Cygwin XFree ignores the keyboard
@ 2003-11-18  5:28   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-18  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jim,

Jim Scheef wrote:

> Edgar,
>
> No, I never got a reply. I have been monitoring the list to see if a solution
> might come along. Recently there has been some traffic about "no keyboard" so
> I'm planning to try the lastest update to see if it fixes the problem.

You have to move the mouse into the window that you want to type in.  It
is a problem with the new shared Xt lib that we started distributing a
month or two ago.  That problem has been fixed with the latest release
announcement I sent on 2003-11-17.

Please understand that I do not respond to duplicate questions if I am
busy... it is better to spend the time fixing the problems.  Often, if I
do not reply, no one does, so it is my fault that you didn't get a
reply.  Sorry about that.  In the future, just check the mailing list
archives at the following link to see if your problem has already been
reported.  If it has, then you might not get a reply if you post.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/

Thanks for testing,

Harold

* Re: Cygwin XFree ignores the keyboard
       [not found] <E3742AF54182164B805E31A4ED8DE14B014A3E10@ohowexc8.naoxy.com>
@ 2003-11-18  5:22 ` Jim Scheef
From: Jim Scheef @ 2003-11-18  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edgar_Camacho; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

Edgar,

No, I never got a reply. I have been monitoring the list to see if a solution
might come along. Recently there has been some traffic about "no keyboard" so
I'm planning to try the lastest update to see if it fixes the problem.

Jim (not Jeff)

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree