* XWin --query
@ 2003-10-10 21:31 Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-10-10 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have been using "XWin --query node_name" for a while.

Last week I updated to the currently released cygwin and xfree86
binaries.

The XWin --query is now only bringing up a X display, but it is not
showing the KDM login screen I'm used to seeing.

If I look on the Linux box I'm querying, I see that it is trying to
connect back to the cygwin/xfree box, but it is unable to open the
display.

Do I need to do somethnig else?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-11  0:15 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-11  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Did you also just get a wireless networking card or another network
card?  The reason I am asking is that you may now need to use the -from
parameter to indicate the return address that should be sent to the
remote machine.  Please indicate if you have only one network card.

Harold

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I have been using "XWin --query node_name" for a while.
>
> Last week I updated to the currently released cygwin and xfree86
> binaries.
>
> The XWin --query is now only bringing up a X display, but it is not
> showing the KDM login screen I'm used to seeing.
>
> If I look on the Linux box I'm querying, I see that it is trying to
> connect back to the cygwin/xfree box, but it is unable to open the
> display.
>
> Do I need to do somethnig else?
>
> Greg

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-13 17:07   ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-10-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have not installed any new hardware, and both server and client
machines have only one NIC.  (Both are standard wired NICs.)

I did update the Linux box with the latest patches recently, that may be
causing the problem, but somehow I think it is the cygwin/xfree86 end.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 20:15, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Did you also just get a wireless networking card or another network
> card?  The reason I am asking is that you may now need to use the -from
> parameter to indicate the return address that should be sent to the
> remote machine.  Please indicate if you have only one network card.
>
> Harold
>
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > I have been using "XWin --query node_name" for a while.
> >
> > Last week I updated to the currently released cygwin and xfree86
> > binaries.
> >
> > The XWin --query is now only bringing up a X display, but it is not
> > showing the KDM login screen I'm used to seeing.
> >
> > If I look on the Linux box I'm querying, I see that it is trying to
> > connect back to the cygwin/xfree box, but it is unable to open the
> > display.
> >
> > Do I need to do somethnig else?
> >
> > Greg

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-13 17:14     ` Pavel Rosenboim
From: Pavel Rosenboim @ 2003-10-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Greg Freemyer wrote:

> I have not installed any new hardware, and both server and client
> machines have only one NIC.  (Both are standard wired NICs.)
>
> I did update the Linux box with the latest patches recently, that may be
> causing the problem, but somehow I think it is the cygwin/xfree86 end.

Is it possible that kdm configuration got overwritten, and now it does
not allow connections from remote hosts?

Pavel.

> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer
>
> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 20:15, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>  > Did you also just get a wireless networking card or another network
>  > card?  The reason I am asking is that you may now need to use the -from
>  > parameter to indicate the return address that should be sent to the
>  > remote machine.  Please indicate if you have only one network card.
>  >
>  > Harold
>  >
>  > Greg Freemyer wrote:
>  > > I have been using "XWin --query node_name" for a while.
>  > >
>  > > Last week I updated to the currently released cygwin and xfree86
>  > > binaries.
>  > >
>  > > The XWin --query is now only bringing up a X display, but it is not
>  > > showing the KDM login screen I'm used to seeing.
>  > >
>  > > If I look on the Linux box I'm querying, I see that it is trying to
>  > > connect back to the cygwin/xfree box, but it is unable to open the
>  > > display.
>  > >
>  > > Do I need to do somethnig else?
>  > >
>  > > Greg
>  >

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-13 17:35       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-13 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Pavel,

Pavel Rosenboim wrote:

> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
>> I have not installed any new hardware, and both server and client
>> machines have only one NIC.  (Both are standard wired NICs.)
>>
>> I did update the Linux box with the latest patches recently, that may be
>> causing the problem, but somehow I think it is the cygwin/xfree86 end.
>

> Is it possible that kdm configuration got overwritten, and now it does
> not allow connections from remote hosts?

I was thinking the same thing.

Greg --- Please check the following FAQ entry for information on how to
make sure that kdm/gdm/xdm are allowing remote logins:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-mandrake-8.1-xdmcp

Harold

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-13 20:31       ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-10-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 13:14, Pavel Rosenboim wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> > I have not installed any new hardware, and both server and client
> > machines have only one NIC.  (Both are standard wired NICs.)
> >
> > I did update the Linux box with the latest patches recently, that may be
> > causing the problem, but somehow I think it is the cygwin/xfree86 end.
>
> Is it possible that kdm configuration got overwritten, and now it does
> not allow connections from remote hosts?
>
> Pavel.

I have used ethereal on the linux box to monitor the tcp/ip traffic.

The remote connection is allowed, but when the linux box tries to
connect back to the cygwin/xfree86 box, its messages seem to be ignored.

I am not running any kind of firewall on the cygwin/xfree86 box and they
are on a common LAN.

It seems almost like I need to issue a 'xhosts +node' on the cygwin box,
but I have not done that in the past and the cygwin box is not rejecting
the linux box, it is just ignoring it from what I see.

Has there been a security change that now requires xhosts +node to be
run somehow with the XWin --query command?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-13 21:08         ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-13 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Greg,

I think you need to either attempt to connect from another Windows
machine to the same linux box with XDMCP, or you need to attempt to
connect to another remote linux machine using XDMCP from the same
Windows box.  You need to prove to yourself that the problem is on one
end or the other.

Harold

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 13:14, Pavel Rosenboim wrote:
>
>>Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>

>>>I have not installed any new hardware, and both server and client
>>>machines have only one NIC.  (Both are standard wired NICs.)
>>>
>>>I did update the Linux box with the latest patches recently, that may be
>>>causing the problem, but somehow I think it is the cygwin/xfree86 end.
>>
>>Is it possible that kdm configuration got overwritten, and now it does
>>not allow connections from remote hosts?
>>
>>Pavel.
>>

> I have used ethereal on the linux box to monitor the tcp/ip traffic.
>
> The remote connection is allowed, but when the linux box tries to
> connect back to the cygwin/xfree86 box, its messages seem to be ignored.
>
> I am not running any kind of firewall on the cygwin/xfree86 box and they
> are on a common LAN.
>
> It seems almost like I need to issue a 'xhosts +node' on the cygwin box,
> but I have not done that in the past and the cygwin box is not rejecting
> the linux box, it is just ignoring it from what I see.
>
> Has there been a security change that now requires xhosts +node to be
> run somehow with the XWin --query command?
>
> Greg

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-15 20:49         ` Sylvain Petreolle
From: Sylvain Petreolle @ 2003-10-15 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, freemyer-ml

Just to be sure: are you using the correct option :
XWin -query dmcphost  (good)

 not

XWin --query dmcphost (bad) ?

> Has there been a security change that now requires xhosts +node to be
> run somehow with the XWin --query command?
>
> Greg
> --
> Greg Freemyer

=====
Sylvain Petreolle (spetreolle_at_users_dot_sourceforge_dot_net)
 ICQ #170597259
Say NO to software patents
Dites NON aux brevets logiciels

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-16 16:34           ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-10-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 16:49, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Just to be sure: are you using the correct option :
> XWin -query dmcphost  (good)
>
>  not
>
> XWin --query dmcphost (bad) ?

I invoke this via a shell script, and yes the script had a single -.

Greg

* Re: XWin --query
@ 2003-10-23 16:54             ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2003-10-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 12:28, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 16:49, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> > Just to be sure: are you using the correct option :
> > XWin -query dmcphost  (good)
> >
> >  not
> >
> > XWin --query dmcphost (bad) ?
>
> I invoke this via a shell script, and yes the script had a single -.
>
> Greg

I upgraded to the latest cygwin xfree-bin and xfree-progs.

All works again.  Must have been a problem relating to the cygwin 1.5
transition.

Greg