* [chris@areti.co.uk: Re: Keyboard auto-repeat defaults when using 'xwin -query <host>']
@ 2003-12-31 15:10 Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2003-12-31 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Did my reply below get lost in the Christmas rush somewhere?

I still have this autorepeat proplem though using an explicit xset
command in my startup is OK as a workaround.

----- Forwarded message from Chris Green <chris@areti.co.uk> -----

Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:03:33 +0000
From: Chris Green <chris@areti.co.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Keyboard auto-repeat defaults when using 'xwin -query <host>'

On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 06:41:14PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Chris Green wrote:
> >The problem is that when I connect using cygwin/xfree the auto-repeat
> >is set to silly values, if I do an 'xset -q' I get:-
> >
> >auto repeat:  on    key click persent:   0    LED mask:  0000000000
> >auto repeat delay:  100    repeat rate:  10
> >
> >That auto repeat delay is much too short.

Thanks for the response and for treating me gently, I'm just feeling
my way in cygwin/X although I have been using Unix/Linux for many
years (since the early 1980s in fact).

> When running locally, I get:
>
> Keyboard Control:
>   auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
>   auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  31
>   auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
>                         fadfffffffdffdff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>                         ffffffffffffffff
>   bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

Just about exactly what I get except for the auto repeat delay values
which I reported above.

> When logged into a remote machine via -query I get exactly the same
> values.  I do not have an XF86Config file, and I am not passing any of
> the following command-line parameters to XWin.exe:

> The X Keyboard Extension adds the following arguments:
> -kb                    disable the X Keyboard Extension
> +kb                    enable the X Keyboard Extension
> [+-]accessx [ timeout [ timeout_mask [ feedback [ options_mask] ] ] ]
>                        enable/disable accessx key sequences
> -ar1                   set XKB autorepeat delay
> -ar2                   set XKB autorepeat interval
>
> [...]
>
> -xf86config
> 	Specify a configuration file.

I'm running using a copy of startxwin.bat with the XWIn start line set
to "start XWin -query server".  I have no XF86Config either.

> My /tmp/XWin.log file has the following:

> (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
> (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
> (EE) No primary keyboard configured
> (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
> Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)"
> Options = "(null)"
>
> Could you please confirm that you are not passing any additional args to
> XWin.exe, then send in your XWin.log files from both a local session and
> from a session when you use -query to connect to a remote machine?  That
> should help us to investigate the problem.

The remote XWin.log file is:-

    ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
    winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
    winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
    OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
    (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
    InitOutput - Error reading config file
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
    winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
    winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
    winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
    InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
    winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
    winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1600 h: 1200
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1600 h: 1200
    winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 33 0 1200 1600
    winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 33 0 1200 1600
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1594 h 1137 r 1594 l 0 b 1137 t 0
    winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Creating primary surface
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Created primary surface
    winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Attached clipper to primary surface
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 3188
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow pitch: 3188
    winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow stride: 1594
    winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
    winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16 bpp 16
    winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
    winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
    winScreenInit - returning
    InitOutput - Returning.
    MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
    XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
    (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
    (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809)
    (--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type "4"
    (EE) No primary keyboard configured
    (==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
    Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc105" Layout = "gb" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
    winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 797 568
    winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
    winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned

The local XWin.log file is identical apart from the following extra line:-

    _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

(a local X session has the same problems as a remote one)

I will see what logging (if any) that my commercial XWin-32 does and if
there's anything useful I'll report that too.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)

----- End forwarded message -----

Note that my commercial XWin-32 doesn't seem to log anything
useful/relevant to this problem.

--

@ 2003-12-31 21:58 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-12-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, chris.green

Chris Green wrote:

> I still have this autorepeat proplem though using an explicit xset
> command in my startup is OK as a workaround.

>     (--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
>     (--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000809" (00000809)
>     (--) Using preset keyboard for "English (United Kingdom)" (809), type "4"

You see, the server sets the autorepeat to useful values. I'm quite sure
there is another program in the startup scripts which sets the autorepeat
settings to the strange value.

Maybe this is not xset but the the windowmanager (kde, gnome) itself. Please
check the settings of the windowmanager if there is a strange autorepeat
setting.

bye
    ago

NP: grauzone.03-12-28