* Clarification on GLUT and Cygwin
@ 2013-01-08  3:09 MyBig SpamEmail
From: MyBig SpamEmail @ 2013-01-08  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

(Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask this question, this
is my first post to this group).

We have a legacy-but-still-active project that used GLUT with native
Win32 in Cygwin (using X-Windows is not an option for a number of
reasons). Lately new users have not been able to compile the codebase,
they get OpenGL compiler errors. This has been discussed many times in
discussion forums, and the Cygwin/X official FAQ even clarified the
issue (http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-opengl-link-problems),
but on new systems I could not get any of our projects to compile. and
could not find the directories listed in the FAQ.  I tracked down our
problem to a June/2012 announcement about the OpenGL package being
obsoleted (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-06/msg00003.html).

>From what I was able to determine (and please correct me if I am wrong):

- The official FAQ and discussion forums are now incorrect... In
Cygwin you can only use GLUT with X-Windows, any historic projects
will no longer work.

- /usr/include/opengl/GL no longer exists (used to have Win32 native
OpenGL files, including GLUT)

- /usr/include/w32api/GL is the new location for Win32 native OpenGL
files, but GLUT is no longer supported for Win32 native

- /usr/include/GL still has OpenGL and GLUT header files for X-Windows

- As a workaround, we can still install the obsolete OpenGL package
from the "_obsolete" category in Cygwin's setup.exe installer, which
will provide /usr/include/opengl/GL with Win32 native OpenGL+GLUT

Are all these observations correct?  If so, you may want to update the
official Cygwin/X FAQ.

Also, I am trying to figure out how to resolve this issue going
forward.  Will the obsolete OpenGL package always be available to use
in the future, or will this package eventually be completely dropped
from Cygwin?  (I hope not, this may make us have to move away from
Cygwin.)

Thanks for the clarification!

-kato

* Re: Clarification on GLUT and Cygwin
@ 2013-01-08  4:10 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin-X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin-X) @ 2013-01-08  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 1/7/2013 10:08 PM, MyBig SpamEmail wrote:

<snip>

> Also, I am trying to figure out how to resolve this issue going
> forward.  Will the obsolete OpenGL package always be available to use
> in the future, or will this package eventually be completely dropped
> from Cygwin?  (I hope not, this may make us have to move away from
> Cygwin.)

Theoretically yes, obsolete packages will eventually be dropped.  But
realistically, the time between now and when this will happen could be
measured in years.  This should give you plenty of time to make
appropriate adjustments.

--
Larry

* Re: Clarification on GLUT and Cygwin