* Re: New XFree pages: "cygwin.com/xfree"
@ 2003-12-31 15:08 Don V Black
       [not found] ` <3FF35A5A.3080605@msu.edu>
From: Don V Black @ 2003-12-31 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold -

Thanks for the reply.

The part I do not understand is here, in step 16:

"16.  You must select the XFree86-base package, which is located in the
XFree86 category.
       The XFree86-base package is a helper package that automatically
selects a working set
       of packages for you that will allow Cygwin/X to work. You may also
want to ensure that
       the inetutils and openssh packages are selected if you wish to use
telnet and ssh to
       connect to remote machines."

Can anybody answer this simple question...

How do I "select" the XFree86-base package?  Entirely by accident, I
toggled the
XFree86 entry so that it displayed "install".  So I then ensured that all
the sub-entries
were likewise set to "install". Following the "installation complete"
message, there are
still no file names on my harddisk containing 'xfree' or
'startx'.  Apparently I did not
properly perform the "select" operation (or "grab" as you mention, below).

Can you please elaborate on step 16.

Thanks again,
- Don

At 11:03 PM 12/30/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>Here are installation and use instructions:
>
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-xfree-ug.html
>

>Don V Black wrote:
>>Have you tested the new X webapge?
>>Specifically, have you tested the X-windows
>>download?
>
>Of course.
>
>>I tried the download & install.  All I got was the
>>non-X-windows Cygwin.  I then re-installed from
>>the cygwin/X page selecting 'install' for ALL the
>>pacakges.  I got a few 'dll not found' messages
>>during the install.  When finished, I could not
>>find any files whose names contained 'xstart',
>>starx or 'xfree' either via WIn2K File Search, or
>>via Cygwin's locate command.
>
>You must have missed this line:
>
>Whether or not you already have Cygwin installed, you can add Cygwin/X to
>your installation by downloading the latest setup.exe, running setup, and
>selecting the 'XFree86-base' package from the 'XFree86' category.
>
>Tons of irrelevant information was removed from the Cygwin/X home page to
>make the installation information more readily visible.  I don't think we
>have had a report of the home page being confusing in over a year.
>
>>Also, the "X Window System" link does not work,
>>and there is no avenue to report these problems.
>
>Thanks.  That just needs to be www.x.org. I'll fix it later.
>
>>I am trying to access Linux XFree86 from my Win2K
>>system (without using VNC or XWin32). I had hoped that
>>cygwin/X could handle this.  However, I cannot even install
>>it.  Both of your "Install" links go to the cygwin.com home
>>page. Can you direct me to documentation that will instruct
>>me on installation of a form that will allow me to run an
>>X-Client from Win2K?  Thanks.
>
>No, both of the install links go to http://cygwin.com/setup.exe, which is
>the installation program.  The text in the page clearly says to grab the
>XFree86-base package, which will select all dependent packages.
>
>There are two ways to access remote machines, via XDMCP or via ssh, both
>of which are documented for Cygwin/X in the User's Guide:
>
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html
>http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh
>
>There is also a sample startup file to be used for XDMCP connections:
>
>/usr/X11R6/bin/startxdmcp.bat
>

>I hope this helps,
>
>Harold

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Join the Pros at your IEEE Computer Society
          http://www.IEEE-OCCS.org

Digital ChoreoGraphics       http://www.dcgfx.com
3D Visualization Software    Design & Development
1-949-548-1969                 dcg02@softcafe.net

* cygwin/xfree installation questions
@ 2003-12-31 20:34 ` Don V Black
       [not found] ` <3FF35A5A.3080605@msu.edu>
From: Don V Black @ 2003-12-31 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi Folks -

Thanks in advance for any help.

While installing (uninstall then install Xfree86 packages in Win2K) I get
the error:

"mkshortcut.exe - Unable to Locate DLL

The dynamic link library cygopt-0.dll could not be found in the specified path
D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\bin;D:\WINNT\system32;D:\WINNT\system;D:\WINNT;D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\bin;D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\bin;D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\bin\D:\Win2KPro\cygwin\bin;[
]y,[ ]."

while in the "/etc/postinstall/XFree86-bin-icons.sh" step.

Notes:
1) D:\Win2KPro is my 'program files' directory (its a dual boot),
     D:\WINNT is my Win2K (Win5.0) directory.
2) Note how cygwin\bin is repeated 5 times in the path.
     BTW, I have repeated this installation many times (maybe 5?)
3) The "[ ]" in "[ ]y,[ ]" of the path represent the DOS-BIOS square
     graphics character, and I have no clue as to where it came from.
     It could be from other installations?

The message reappeared more than 30 times during the install
(I counted my clicks on the OK button).

A "cygwin-XFree86" entry has been installed in my Win2K start menu,
but the 5 sub-menus (editors, ... toys) are empty.

I am not convinced that the installation was complete or correct.

I have attempted to invoke startxwin.sh as specified in Chapter 4
of the Cygwin/X documentation.  I receive the error message:

"xterm.exe - Unable to Locatte DLL
The dynamic link library cygcygipc-2.dll could not be found in the
specified path
.... path information similar to above ...
"

Received the same information with "XWin.exe..."

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Don

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Join the Pros at your IEEE Computer Society
          http://www.IEEE-OCCS.org

Digital ChoreoGraphics       http://www.dcgfx.com
3D Visualization Software    Design & Development
1-949-548-1969                 dcg02@softcafe.net

* Re: cygwin/xfree installation questions
@ 2003-12-31 22:16   ` Don V Black
From: Don V Black @ 2003-12-31 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Deinstall the entire Cygwin installation, and
re-install Cygwin/X, as follows:

1) In the Select Packages panel (# 16 in the doc)
     Click On "Default" of "+All  .. Default" until
     Uninstall appears.
2) Click On the Next button, and proceed with the
     Uninstall.
3) Delete the contents of the directory that contained
     Cygwin (e.g. /Programs Files/Cygwin)

4) Restart the Setup.exe process.
5) In the Select Packages panel (# 16 in the doc)
     Click On "Default" of "+XFree866  .. Default" until
     Install appears.
6) Click On the Next button, and proceed with the
     Install.

The Cygwin/X documentation should now work.

===

@ 2004-01-03 16:11   ` Don V Black
From: Don V Black @ 2004-01-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold -

I recommend that you include step # 5 in your documentation.
There was an assumption that the neophyte installer understood
how to 'select' or 'grab' (your words) the XFree86 modules.  I
encountered no such documentation in my brief meanderings
through the Cygwin/X site.

Step # 5, below corrects that oversight.
>>5) In the Select Packages panel (# 16 in the doc)
>>     Click On "Default" of "+XFree866  .. Default" until
>>     "+XFree86 .. Install" appears. This requires n clicks.

  - Don V Black
===

@ 2004-01-03 22:06     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-03 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)