* IPC not configured
       [not found] <818623B5FD23D51193200002B32C07610D897C59@excsrv44.mayo.edu >
@ 2004-01-05 18:08 ` Darryl Scott
From: Darryl Scott @ 2004-01-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi!

I have recently been starting to use cygwin on a Windows 2003 server. The
UNIX code has been ported using Interix, windows services for UNIX. This
does not come with an X-server.

The port has been very straightforward. The single user X applications work
A-OK. I am having problems with the multi-user versions which make use of
IPC. When I try starting say message queues within cygwin and check with
ipcs the system states that the kernel has not been configured for IPC.

IPC started via c-shell in Interix are active and X-apps in cygwin start
and put a message on to a queue, the other end of the queue is not read and
so the app hangs.

If anyone could point me to documentation I will be delighted.

Thank you in anticipation

Darryl

* Re: IPC not configured
@ 2004-01-05 20:07   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-05 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Darryl,

Darryl Scott wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have recently been starting to use cygwin on a Windows 2003 server.
> The UNIX code has been ported using Interix, windows services for UNIX.
> This does not come with an X-server.

Okay, is your ported code in these examples still being run under
Interix, or has it been recompiled under Cygwin?  I am thinking Cygwin,
but I want to make sure.

> The port has been very straightforward. The single user X applications
> work A-OK. I am having problems with the multi-user versions which make
> use of IPC. When I try starting say message queues within cygwin and
> check with ipcs the system states that the kernel has not been
> configured for IPC.

The cygipc package in Cygwin provides IPC support.  It has to be started
manually.

> IPC started via c-shell in Interix are active and X-apps in cygwin start
> and put a message on to a queue, the other end of the queue is not read
> and so the app hangs.

That sort of integration between the IPC system in Interix and the IPC
system in Cygwin is unlikely to work.  I don't believe that cygipc is
using Windows' IPC mechanisms, so Interix would have no knowledge of
what is going on in cygipc, etc.  At least, I suspect that is how it is
implemented, but I could be wrong.

> If anyone could point me to documentation I will be delighted.

Here is Chuck Wilson's documentation:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/

Here is the readme for cygipc:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/#README

Do note that the cygipc package will be dropped in favor of the new
cygserver application that works in conjunction with function stubs in a
new version of cygwin1.dll.  That will allow all Cygwin apps to be
compiled with IPC support and to only enable it when cygserver is
running.  That change will require a recompile of all apps that use IPC,
I believe.

Harold