* Configuration for multiple monitors
@ 2004-01-08 17:47 Øyvind Harboe
From: Øyvind Harboe @ 2004-01-08 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)

Is there any reason not to make -multiplemonitors default for XWin?

With the default setting, the default behaviour when extending the desktop to
two monitors is broken. This is a known problem.

A machine with a single monitor behaves correctly with the -multiplemonitors
option.

Perhaps this is already in the works:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-12/msg00096.html

Øyvind

* Re: Configuration for multiple monitors
@ 2004-01-08 18:12 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Øyvind,

Give a man a fish, he eats for one day.  Teach a man to fish...

Source is viewable here:

http://pdx.freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin/?cvsroot=xorg&only_with_tag=CYGWIN

Do the following:

1) Look at winprocarg.c/winInitializeDefaultScreens

2) Change the line:
	g_ScreenInfo[i].fMultipleMonitors = FALSE;
    to:
	g_ScreenInfo[i].fMultipleMonitors = TRUE;

3) Look at winprocarg.c/ddxProcessArgument

4) Find the section that starts with:
   /*
    * Look for the '-multiplemonitors' argument
    */

5) Add a similar section for -nomultimonitors and -nomultiplemonitors
that sets the flag to FALSE instead of to TRUE.

6) Pull the CVS tree following the instructions here:
	http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/server/

7) Make your changes as above.

8) Run 'cvs -z3 diff -up > multi-monitor.diff' in hw/xwin and send in
the patch.

9) I will compile it for you and post it in the next release.  If you
want to compile it yourself, check the Contributor's Guide (mind you, it
references the XFree86.org CVS tree, which has been replaced with
freedesktop.org for us):

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-native.html

Harold

@ 2004-01-10 16:38 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-10 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Øyvind,

Jack Tanner had some valid points for keeping -nomultiplemonitors.

The reason we won't just remove the -multiplemonitors option is a little
easier:

1) XWin.exe does not print nor popup error messages when it exists;
rather, it logs them to /tmp/XWin.log.

2) Removing the -multiplemonitors option will cause XWin.exe to fail to
start.

3) Must users do not know to look at /tmp/XWin.log to see that they
passed an invalid parameter.

4) We will start seeing lots of fun reports on the mailing list asking
why XWin.exe is crashing on startup, when it is in fact just reporting
that -multiplemonitors is an invalid parameter.

That is why we don't remove old parameters completely.  We don't want to
waste time debugging non-problems caused by doing so.

Harold

@ 2004-01-10 16:34   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-10 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jack,

Jack Tanner wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>
>> perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be an
>> option at all?
>

> No, I'd like -nomultiplemonitors to exist.
>
> I have two monitors, but the second is usually turned off. Various X
> client dialog boxes and application windows usually come up in the
> center of my desktop, which means half on one monitor, and half on the
> other. If that weren't annoying enough, it makes life sheer hell when
> one monitor is turned off!
>
> This is why I do not use -multiplemonitors, even though I /have/
> multiple monitors. Even when both monitors are turned on, it's plenty to
> have one for X apps, and another for regular Windows apps.

That is pretty much why I would want to make sure we have a
-nomultiplemonitors switch.  In fact, we should finally look into a
system to allow the user to specify which screen we should start up on.
  That would be nice.

> Granted, the real solution to this issue would be to play nice with
> nVidia's nView software. It offers these modes for dual-monitor work
> (the following is copied verbatim from nView on-line help; the mode I
> use is Dualview, which I believe is nVidia's default):

Well, I have an nVidia graphics card now, but you'll have to contribute
to the fund to buy me a second matching Samsung SyncMaster 191T flat
panel if you expect me to be able to work on this :)  At the momement
(read: for the last three years) I have only one monitor.

Harold

* Re: Configuration for multiple monitors
@ 2004-01-09 18:59 ` Jack Tanner
From: Jack Tanner @ 2004-01-09 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be
> an option at all?

No, I'd like -nomultiplemonitors to exist.

I have two monitors, but the second is usually turned off. Various X
client dialog boxes and application windows usually come up in the
center of my desktop, which means half on one monitor, and half on the
other. If that weren't annoying enough, it makes life sheer hell when
one monitor is turned off!

This is why I do not use -multiplemonitors, even though I /have/
multiple monitors. Even when both monitors are turned on, it's plenty to
have one for X apps, and another for regular Windows apps.

Granted, the real solution to this issue would be to play nice with
nVidia's nView software. It offers these modes for dual-monitor work
(the following is copied verbatim from nView on-line help; the mode I
use is Dualview, which I believe is nVidia's default):

Single Display. Only one of your connected displays is used.

Clone. Both displays in the display pair show images of the same desktop.

Horizontal Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one wide
virtual desktop. The width of each display is half the width of the
total virtual desktop width.

Vertical Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one tall
virtual desktop. The height of each display is half the heiht of the
total virtual desktop height.

Dualview. Both displays in the display pair behave as one virtual
desktop. Unlike Horizontal or Vertical Spanning mode, Dualview treats
ach display as a separate device. This means that the task bar will not
be stretched across displays and 3D applications are not accelerated as
efficiently if the application Spans displays.

-JT

* Re: Configuration for multiple monitors
@ 2004-01-09  9:23 Øyvind Harboe