* XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08  5:50 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

If any of the 400+ readers is out there right now... try the
mirrors.kernel.org mirror and see if you can install and test the new
-clipboard support in XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 and report your results
within 15 minutes.  It should work just fine with anything you throw at
it, including Xdmcp sessions using -query (no auth or kill problems
anymore).  I would like a quick confirmation that the new release does
not crash on startup or anything similar.

Harold

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08  6:24 ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-01-08  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

It works quite well in my environment.

The test includes:
local X apps <-> local Windows apps
local {X|Win} apps <-> ssh-forwarded X apps
local {X|Win} apps <-> XDMCP session
X apps: rxvt, xterm, emacs
Win apps: editors
all data is plain text.

Additionally, even Japanese texts with different
encodings are correctly copied & pasted.

Thank you very much for the wonderful improvement.

Takuma Murakami (murakami@ipl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp)

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08  7:34   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Takuma,

Thanks for the feedback.  Kensuke is reporting some trouble with Unicode
text conversion.  There may be some bugs on NT-based platforms that
support Unicode.

I have posted the 4.3.0-33 release and marked it as 'test' until we can
confirm whether it has new problems with Unicode or if the problems
already existed.

Thanks for testing,

Harold

@ 2004-01-08  8:14   ` Kensuke Matsuzaki
From: Kensuke Matsuzaki @ 2004-01-08  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Takuma,

> It works quite well in my environment.
>
> The test includes:
> local X apps <-> local Windows apps
> local {X|Win} apps <-> ssh-forwarded X apps
> local {X|Win} apps <-> XDMCP session
> X apps: rxvt, xterm, emacs
> Win apps: editors
> all data is plain text.
>
> Additionally, even Japanese texts with different
> encodings are correctly copied & pasted.

Couldn't you copy and paste Japanese text in above condition?

X app -> Win apps that use unicode(IE, Notepade etc)
X app -> Win apps that don't use unicode(Meadow, Hidemaru etc)

Either of those two fail in my environment(Windows XP).
With -nounicodeclipboard, unicode apps fail. And without it, non-unicode apps
fail.

--
Kensuke Matsuzaki
mailto:zakki@peppermint.jp

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08 10:32     ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-01-08 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Kensuke,

> Couldn't you copy and paste Japanese text in above condition?
>
> X app -> Win apps that use unicode(IE, Notepade etc)
> X app -> Win apps that don't use unicode(Meadow, Hidemaru etc)
>

> Either of those two fail in my environment(Windows XP).
> With -nounicodeclipboard, unicode apps fail. And without it, non-unicode apps
> fail

I have tested further on the issue.  I use Emacs for X app
and Hidemaru for Win app.  All software run on local
machine (WinXP).

For X -> Win cases, it seems working perfectly.
For Win -> X cases, problems happen.  For some characters,
the pasted part is shown in a little strange font and I
cannot save the file.  Note that, I can still read the
pasted part.  It's in different font (might be Unicode
font?) but represents the same character.  Furthermore,
some characters are converted perfectly, that is, I can
save it.

I have done the same test using IE instead of Hidemaru
for comparison between Unicode and non-Unicode apps
but noticed no difference.

I also compared Shift-JIS and EUC and again noticed
no difference.

Thank you for all your works and hope this helps.

@ 2004-01-08 12:12       ` Kensuke Matsuzaki
From: Kensuke Matsuzaki @ 2004-01-08 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi Takuma,

> I have tested further on the issue.  I use Emacs for X app
> and Hidemaru for Win app.  All software run on local
> machine (WinXP).

Sorry, Hidemaru 4.04 and IE are same behavior. I used 3.05.

> For Win -> X cases, problems happen.  For some characters,
> the pasted part is shown in a little strange font and I
> cannot save the file.  Note that, I can still read the
> pasted part.  It's in different font (might be Unicode
> font?) but represents the same character.  Furthermore,
> some characters are converted perfectly, that is, I can
> save it.

This is different problme that I said, and other version
XWin have same problem.
Maybe no problem with -nounicodeclipboard option.

--
Kensuke Matsuzaki
mailto:zakki@peppermint.jp

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08 15:09       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Takuma,

Please rerun setup.exe and install the XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 package
again.  It was updated after you first downloaded it.

Harold

@ 2004-01-08 18:21         ` Holger Krull
From: Holger Krull @ 2004-01-08 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello,
i installed the -33 Version and the -clipboard feature doesn't work.
I started with xwin +kb -xkbmap de -query murpel -from 192.168.1.2 -fp tcp/192.168.1.1:7100 -dpi 100
-once -clipboard

What's different here? Xwinclip still works but needs -ac.

The XWin.log says

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 960
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winScreenInit - dwWidth: 1280 dwHeight: 960
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1280 h: 960
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1280 h: 960
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 926 1280
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 926 1280
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1274 h 895 r 1274 l 0 b 895 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Creating primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Created primary surface
winCreatePrimarySurfaceShadowDDNL - Attached clipper to primary surface
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 5096
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow pitch: 5096
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - Created shadow stride: 1274
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
InitOutput - Returning.
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in
the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000407" (00000407)
(--) Using preset keyboard for "German (Germany)" (407), type "4"
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc105" Layout = "de" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
Error opening keymap file de, reverting to defaults
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 637 447
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client until third call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Xdmcp enabled, waiting to start clipboard client until third call.
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - Calling setlocale ()
winClipboardProc - setlocale () returned
winClipboardProc - XInitThreads () returned.
winClipboardProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winClipboardProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_CREATE
winClipboardWindowProc - WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD - Initializing - Returning.

winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started.

winProcSetSelectionOwner - Clipboard not yet started.

winProcQueryTree - Clipboard client already launched, returning.

winClipboardIOErrorHandler!

winClipboardProc - setjmp returned for IO Error Handler.
winProcSetSelectionOwner - No valid clipboard window handle.

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33 release pending
@ 2004-01-08 18:27           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Holger,

Holger Krull wrote:

> Hello,
> i installed the -33 Version and the -clipboard feature doesn't work.
> I started with xwin +kb -xkbmap de -query murpel -from 192.168.1.2 -fp
> tcp/192.168.1.1:7100 -dpi 100 -once -clipboard
>
> What's different here? Xwinclip still works but needs -ac.

Thanks, the log file was very useful.

What is happening is that we have to wait to start the clipboard client
until XDM has finished killing any connected clients.  There is not a
well-defined event that I can use to track this, so I have to try to
find an artifact of the startup process that works with most XDM/KDM/GDM
implementations.

The current triggers I am using work fine with my KDM implementation,
but they appear not to work with your XDM implementation.  So, I will
have to tweak the triggers a bit to see if I can make them more robust.

Thanks for the report.  Patiently wait for 4.3.0-34.

Thanks,

@ 2004-01-08 18:44             ` Holger Krull
From: Holger Krull @ 2004-01-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi again,

> The current triggers I am using work fine with my KDM implementation,
> but they appear not to work with your XDM implementation.  So, I will

just for info, xdm here is in reality a kdm (as far as i know). It is a Suse 9.0 with kde installed.

   Holger