* RE: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33
       [not found] <3FFD075A.8020404@msu.edu>
@ 2004-01-08 15:16 ` Andrew Braverman
From: Andrew Braverman @ 2004-01-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygx'

I seem to be the one not to have any luck lately.  I tried running this
package and get a standard windows "XWin-33.exe has encountered a problem
and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." message.  There
was no useful stackdump.  After going through my batch file, I found that if
I put a "sleep 2" before the "xhost +hostname" command that I have in the
file, XWin does not crash.  If I use "sleep 1", it sometimes crashes.  With
no sleep, it crashes.  I have attached an XWin.log from one of the attempts
with no sleep.

- Andy

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.log --]

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
InitOutput - Error reading config file
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
InitOutput - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winScreenInit - dwWidth: 1280 dwHeight: 1024
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1280 h: 1024
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1280 h: 1024
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 0 990 1280
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 0 990 1280
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 1280 h 990 r 1280 l 0 b 990 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 1280 height: 990 depth: 16
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 1280 height: 990 depth: 16 size image: 2534400
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Created shadow stride: 1280
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16 bpp 16
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
winFinishScreenInitFB - Calling winInitWM.
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitWM - Returning.
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
LoadPreferences: Done parsing the configuration file...
InitOutput - Returning.
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
(EE) No primary keyboard configured
(==) Using compiletime defaults for keyboard
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 640 495
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling setlocale ()
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winInitClipboard ()
winProcEstablishConnection - winInitClipboard returned.
winClipboardProc - Hello
DetectUnicodeSupport - Windows NT/2000/XP
winClipboardProc - Calling setlocale ()
OsVendorReset - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - setlocale () returned
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

* Re: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33
@ 2004-01-08 15:20   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew Braverman wrote:

> I seem to be the one not to have any luck lately.  I tried running this
> package and get a standard windows "XWin-33.exe has encountered a problem
> and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." message.  There
> was no useful stackdump.  After going through my batch file, I found that if
> I put a "sleep 2" before the "xhost +hostname" command that I have in the
> file, XWin does not crash.  If I use "sleep 1", it sometimes crashes.  With
> no sleep, it crashes.  I have attached an XWin.log from one of the attempts
> with no sleep.
>
> - Andy

Andy,

You should not need the 'xhost +hostname' unless hostname is a remote host.

Have you tried without the -clipboard parameter to confirm whether the
problem persists in that case?

Harold

* RE: Updated: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-33
@ 2004-01-08 19:48     ` Andrew Braverman
From: Andrew Braverman @ 2004-01-08 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I had not checked, but I just did.  If I remove the -clipboard and the
sleep, all is well.  As another data point, a longer sleep is needed if the
files are run on windows login (which is not surprising).

On a different note, I have noticed that the X clipboard will transfer to
windows as long as the data is highlighted.  Once the data is unhighlighted
(i.e. typing "clear") the text is still in the X buffer (middle button or
shift insert pastes correctly), but the windows clipboard is empty.

- Andy

@ 2004-01-10  6:43       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-10  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew,

Andrew Braverman wrote:
> I had not checked, but I just did.  If I remove the -clipboard and the
> sleep, all is well.  As another data point, a longer sleep is needed if the
> files are run on windows login (which is not surprising).

Your crash is possibly due to xhost being the first X Client to
connect... when it disconnects, the X Server tries to reset.  There may
be some problems in -clipboard that cause a crash in such a quick server
startup followed by a reset.  I have tried to fix those problems, but it
is going to take me a while to find all of the bugs that have krept into
the server reset code.  Currently you can't even reset the server more
than twice, without -clipboard and without -multiwindow, before it just
exits without a warning or error message.  So, you are likely to have to
work around this problem for a while if it doesn't magically go away in
the next release.  For now, I would just drop the xhost command from
your startup file.

> On a different note, I have noticed that the X clipboard will transfer to
> windows as long as the data is highlighted.  Once the data is unhighlighted
> (i.e. typing "clear") the text is still in the X buffer (middle button or
> shift insert pastes correctly), but the windows clipboard is empty.

That is an interesting point that I had thought of, but didn't really
want to think hard about :)  I spent about 12 hours coding this up...
everytime I thought I had it, I realized that more basic changes were
needed in the clipboard code.  Now I have it working, I believe.

One of the funniest things that I fixed was that we were creating one
clipboard thread *per* screen.  I realized, in looking at
xc/programs/Xserver/dix/dispatch.c, that the selections are global to
all screens running on the same display (or instance of XWin.exe).  So,
we really only needed one clipboard client thread, no matter how many
-screen parameters were passed to XWin.exe.  I changed the code to
create just one clipboard client thread for the entire process... that
really simplified the process of changing the code, since I didn't have
to track things per-screen anymore.

I have made your request work only for the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD
selections.  It won't matter if the X client still has data in the
SECONDARY selection, because we do not monitor that selection.  So,
don't complain if you can still paste in one or two X apps but not in
Win32 :)

Harold

* XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-38 test results
@ 2004-01-12 15:25         ` Andrew Braverman
From: Andrew Braverman @ 2004-01-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> [...]  For now, I would just drop the xhost command from
> your startup file.

No problem.  I can deal with it as long as you are aware of the issue.

> > On a different note, I have noticed that the X clipboard
> will transfer to
> > windows as long as the data is highlighted.  Once the data
> is unhighlighted
> > (i.e. typing "clear") the text is still in the X buffer
> (middle button or
> > shift insert pastes correctly), but the windows clipboard is empty.
>
> That is an interesting point that I had thought of, but didn't really
> want to think hard about :)  I spent about 12 hours coding this up...
> everytime I thought I had it, I realized that more basic changes were
> needed in the clipboard code.  Now I have it working, I believe.

It seems to work now.  Thanks.

> I have made your request work only for the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD
> selections.  It won't matter if the X client still has data in the
> SECONDARY selection, because we do not monitor that selection.  So,
> don't complain if you can still paste in one or two X apps but not in
> Win32 :)

I try not to COMPLAIN about anything. :-)  Seriously, though - I do realize
how much time and energy are put into this project by the few core people
and though I will report issues I see or ask questions, I will never
complain about what is or is not done.  You guys do too much work to deserve
that.  One of these days, I will make enough time to make some contributions
of my own - and then I MIGHT have a right to complain a little.  You guys
have done a wonderful job, and as many have said before, we appreciate your
work.  Thank you.

> Harold

OS: Windows XP

Language: English

Win32->X11 Copy and Paste: Worked

X11->Win32 Copy and Paste: Worked

Xdmcp: Did Not Try

- Andy

* Re: XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-38 test results
@ 2004-01-12 17:44           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-12 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew,

Andrew Braverman wrote:
>>[...]  For now, I would just drop the xhost command from
>>your startup file.
>

> No problem.  I can deal with it as long as you are aware of the issue.

Okay.  I think it needs to be fixed eventually so that the problem is
not repeatedly reported.

>>>On a different note, I have noticed that the X clipboard
>>
>>will transfer to
>>
>>>windows as long as the data is highlighted.  Once the data
>>
>>is unhighlighted
>>
>>>(i.e. typing "clear") the text is still in the X buffer
>>
>>(middle button or
>>
>>>shift insert pastes correctly), but the windows clipboard is empty.
>>
>>That is an interesting point that I had thought of, but didn't really
>>want to think hard about :)  I spent about 12 hours coding this up...
>>everytime I thought I had it, I realized that more basic changes were
>>needed in the clipboard code.  Now I have it working, I believe.
>

> It seems to work now.  Thanks.

No problem.

>>I have made your request work only for the PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD
>>selections.  It won't matter if the X client still has data in the
>>SECONDARY selection, because we do not monitor that selection.  So,
>>don't complain if you can still paste in one or two X apps but not in
>>Win32 :)
>

> I try not to COMPLAIN about anything. :-)  Seriously, though - I do realize
> how much time and energy are put into this project by the few core people
> and though I will report issues I see or ask questions, I will never
> complain about what is or is not done.  You guys do too much work to deserve
> that.  One of these days, I will make enough time to make some contributions
> of my own - and then I MIGHT have a right to complain a little.  You guys
> have done a wonderful job, and as many have said before, we appreciate your
> work.  Thank you.

Sorry.  My "complain" should be read as more of a "I am already aware of
this problem, so it doesn't have to be mentiond" and it was really
written for other readers, not for you.  I don't think you are
complaining :)  It is just that if others see this in the future, I
don't want them saying "me too" if they notice this problem.

> OS: Windows XP
>
> Language: English
>
> Win32->X11 Copy and Paste: Worked
>
> X11->Win32 Copy and Paste: Worked