* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 23:40 B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> The man has a point:

woman ;-)

> I just tried to duplicate the problem and succeeded in duplicating the
> problem :)

Yes! Thank you. It's good to know that I'm not the only one with the
problem.

> Okay, the reason this problem exists is due to the stupid VendorShell
> that is used by Xt. LessTif overrides VendorShell with its own and we
> had to write a hack to make this work on Cygwin/X.
>
> Unfortunately, Xaw3d also overrides the VendorShell with its own
> version. However, it appears that I got a little too busy right around
> the time that I was going to release a patched Xaw3d library... I have
> the updated version built in my local tree, but I never finished
> testing it or releasing it. :) I just tested the fix and it solves
> your problem.
>
> Thanks for putting up with a forgetful developer...

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Your efforts are
greatly appreciated.

--B.

> I had this email all typed up, explaing how there might be a problem
> since Xaw3d and LessTif both override the VendorShell. Then I thought
> that I had better confirm that Xaw3d had actually been released with
> that fix; it hadn't, so I had to rewrite the whole email. :)
>
> Xaw3d-1.5D-5 is coming soon to a mirror near you and will fix your
> problem with xfig and mwm.
>
> Harold

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 22:32 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

The man has a point: I just tried to duplicate the problem and succeeded
in duplicating the problem :)

Okay, the reason this problem exists is due to the stupid VendorShell
that is used by Xt.  LessTif overrides VendorShell with its own and we
had to write a hack to make this work on Cygwin/X.

Unfortunately, Xaw3d also overrides the VendorShell with its own
version.  However, it appears that I got a little too busy right around
the time that I was going to release a patched Xaw3d library... I have
the updated version built in my local tree, but I never finished testing
it or releasing it. :)  I just tested the fix and it solves your problem.

Thanks for putting up with a forgetful developer... I had this email all

B. Marchand wrote:

> I appear to have the same version of lesstif as you have listed below. I
> take it you cannot duplicate this problem?
>
> --B.
>
>> Well, there is one more thing you should check:
>>
>> $ cygcheck -c lesstif
>> Cygwin Package Information
>> Package              Version        Status
>> lesstif              0.93.91-5      OK
>>

>> Make sure that you have that same version of lesstif (it includes mwm).
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>>     Well, after having obtained the most recent packages:
>>
>> Cygwin Package Information
>> Package              Version        Status
>> Xaw3d                1.5D-4         OK
>> xfig                 3.2.4-5        OK
>> XFree86-bin          4.3.0-8        OK
>>

>>     I find I still have the same problem. However, as I said before,
>>     it only happens if I'm running the motif window manager (mwm). It
>>     is otherwise not an issue under twm or if I run startxwin.bat.
>>     Thanks for all your help.
>>
>>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 21:53 B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I appear to have the same version of lesstif as you have listed below. I
take it you cannot duplicate this problem?

--B.

> Well, there is one more thing you should check:
>
>$ cygcheck -c lesstif
>Cygwin Package Information
>Package              Version        Status
>lesstif              0.93.91-5      OK
>

> Make sure that you have that same version of lesstif (it includes mwm).
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
>     Well, after having obtained the most recent packages:
>
>Cygwin Package Information
>Package              Version        Status
>Xaw3d                1.5D-4         OK
>xfig                 3.2.4-5        OK
>XFree86-bin          4.3.0-8        OK
>

>     I find I still have the same problem. However, as I said before,
>     it only happens if I'm running the motif window manager (mwm). It
>     is otherwise not an issue under twm or if I run startxwin.bat.
>     Thanks for all your help.
>
>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 21:01   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

B. Marchand wrote:

> Well, after having obtained the most recent packages:
>
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> Xaw3d                1.5D-4         OK
> xfig                 3.2.4-5        OK
> XFree86-bin          4.3.0-8        OK
>

> I find I still have the same problem. However, as I said before, it only
> happens if I'm running the motif window manager (mwm). It is otherwise
> not an issue under twm or if I run startxwin.bat. Thanks for all your help.
>
> --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 20:54 ` B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

B. Marchand wrote:

> No, I used a combination of sites at times including:
>
> ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin/release/
> ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin/release
> ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/release
>
> I think the culprit came from
>
> ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin/release/XFree86
>
> I'll try what you suggested. Thank you!
>
> --B.
>
>> Did you, by chance, use the cygwin.mirrors.pair.com mirror? It is way
>> out of date and lists XFree86-bin-4.3.0-5 as the most recent version.
>>
>> However, all other mirrors should have XFree86-bin-4.3.0-8. Those
>> additional releases of XFree86-bin fixed the bugs that you are
>> running into.
>>
>> Update your installation with Cygwin's setup.exe using a different
>> mirror (try mirrors.kernel.org), relaunch your apps (including
>> XWin.exe) and report your results.
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>> Here's the info you requested:
>>
>> Cygwin Package Information
>> Package              Version        Status
>> Xaw3d                1.5D-2         OK
>> XFree86-bin          4.3.0-5        OK
>>

>> --B.
>>
>> Run the following and report your results:
>>
>> cygcheck -c XFree86-bin xfig Xaw3d
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>> I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.
>>
>> --B.
>>
>> Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>>   xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>>   manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>>   try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>>   box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>>   the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>>   problem under twm.
>>

>> --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 18:12 B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

No, I used a combination of sites at times including:

ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin/release/
ftp://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/cygwin/release
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/release

I think the culprit came from

ftp://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/cygwin/release/XFree86

I'll try what you suggested. Thank you!

--B.

> Did you, by chance, use the cygwin.mirrors.pair.com mirror? It is way
> out of date and lists XFree86-bin-4.3.0-5 as the most recent version.
>
> However, all other mirrors should have XFree86-bin-4.3.0-8. Those
> additional releases of XFree86-bin fixed the bugs that you are running
> into.
>
> Update your installation with Cygwin's setup.exe using a different
> mirror (try mirrors.kernel.org), relaunch your apps (including
> XWin.exe) and report your results.
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
> Here's the info you requested:
>
>Cygwin Package Information
>Package              Version        Status
>Xaw3d                1.5D-2         OK
>XFree86-bin          4.3.0-5        OK
>

> --B.
>
> Run the following and report your results:
>
> cygcheck -c XFree86-bin xfig Xaw3d
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
> I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.
>
> --B.
>
> Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
>   xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>   manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>   try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>   box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>   the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>   problem under twm.
>

> --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 17:59 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

B. Marchand wrote:

> Here's the info you requested:
>

> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> Xaw3d                1.5D-2         OK
> XFree86-bin          4.3.0-5        OK
>
> --B.
>
>> Run the following and report your results:
>>
>> cygcheck -c XFree86-bin xfig Xaw3d
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>> I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.
>>
>> --B.
>>
>>     Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>>
>>     Harold
>>
>>     B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>>    xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>>    manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>>    try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>>    box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>>    the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>>    problem under twm.
>>

>>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 17:55 B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Here's the info you requested:

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
Xaw3d                1.5D-2         OK
XFree86-bin          4.3.0-5        OK

--B.

> Run the following and report your results:
>
> cygcheck -c XFree86-bin xfig Xaw3d
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
> I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.
>
> --B.
>
>     Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>
>     Harold
>
>     B. Marchand wrote:
>
>    xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>    manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>    try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>    box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>    the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>    problem under twm.
>

>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 17:22 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

B. Marchand wrote:

> I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.
>
> --B.
>
>> Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>>
>> Harold
>>
>> B. Marchand wrote:
>>
>>     xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>>     manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>>     try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>>     box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>>     the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>>     problem under twm.
>>
>>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 16:55 B. Marchand
From: B. Marchand @ 2004-01-13 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I did, of course. But, just in case, I tried it again and still nothing.

--B.

> Keep the mouse cursor in the text entry box when typing.
>
> Harold
>
> B. Marchand wrote:
>
>     xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
>     manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I
>     try to save the file I can't enter text into the output filename
>     box. If there's a property, like text size, I can change it using
>     the arrows but I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this
>     problem under twm.
>
>     --B.

* Re: xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 16:53 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-01-13 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

B. Marchand wrote:

> xfig works fine, so far, under twm. However, I cannot enter text
> manually into text boxes if I'm running mwm. For instance, if I try to
> save the file I can't enter text into the output filename box. If
> there's a property, like text size, I can change it using the arrows but
> I cannot enter it manually. I do not have this problem under twm.
>
> --B.

* xfig and mwm problems ...
@ 2004-01-13 16:51 B. Marchand