* win-ssh-askpass not working.
@ 2004-01-22 21:48 Steve Howie
From: Steve Howie @ 2004-01-22 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Can't get it to work - set up the win-ssh-agent, ran the ssh command
from a script after setting the DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS environment
variables and SSH still prompted me for a password - no askpass window
popped up. Any ideas??

Running on Windows XP Professional.

Mind you, having the User Guide in Japanese doesn't help either :)

Script (as suggested by Alexander Gottwald):

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
export SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/bin/win-ssh-askpass.exe"
ssh -f -X <host> -l username "/opt/SAS82/sas"

Thanks

Scotty

* Re: win-ssh-askpass not working.
@ 2004-01-22 22:09 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-22 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Steve Howie wrote:

> Can't get it to work - set up the win-ssh-agent, ran the ssh command
> from a script after setting the DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS environment
> variables and SSH still prompted me for a password - no askpass window
> popped up. Any ideas??
>
> Running on Windows XP Professional.

> Script (as suggested by Alexander Gottwald):
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> export SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/bin/win-ssh-askpass.exe"
> ssh -f -X <host> -l username "/opt/SAS82/sas"

I've done some test on it yesterday and it showed that the askpass program
is only executed when the ssh has no terminal. On linux I could start the
ssh from gvim and the it started x11-ssh-askpass. But on windows ssh was
always started in a console window.

Maybe the run.exe utility might help. But I've never used it and have no
links and further information on it. run.exe will start programs without
console windows. Then ssh has no terminal and it must start win-ssh-askpass.

bye
    ago
NP: Tristesse De La Lune - Eiskalte Liebe
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: win-ssh-askpass not working.
@ 2004-01-23  0:55   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-23  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> Steve Howie wrote:
>
> > Can't get it to work - set up the win-ssh-agent, ran the ssh command
> > from a script after setting the DISPLAY and SSH_ASKPASS environment
> > variables and SSH still prompted me for a password - no askpass window
> > popped up. Any ideas??
> >
> > Running on Windows XP Professional.
>
> > Script (as suggested by Alexander Gottwald):
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> > export SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/bin/win-ssh-askpass.exe"
> > ssh -f -X <host> -l username "/opt/SAS82/sas"
>
> I've done some test on it yesterday and it showed that the askpass program
> is only executed when the ssh has no terminal. On linux I could start the
> ssh from gvim and the it started x11-ssh-askpass. But on windows ssh was
> always started in a console window.
>
> Maybe the run.exe utility might help. But I've never used it and have no
> links and further information on it. run.exe will start programs without
> console windows. Then ssh has no terminal and it must start win-ssh-askpass.

IIUC, that's exactly what the "setsid" command is intended to accomplish.
You can also try using bash's "disown" builtin.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: win-ssh-askpass not working.
@ 2004-01-23 12:05     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-01-23 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>
> IIUC, that's exactly what the "setsid" command is intended to accomplish.
> You can also try using bash's "disown" builtin.

Great. This worked!

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
export SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/bin/win-ssh-askpass.exe"
setsid ssh -f -X <host> -l <username> "/opt/SAS82/sas"

But You'll need the setsid package (install it with cygwin setup).

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de

@ 2004-01-23 14:07       ` Steve Howie
From: Steve Howie @ 2004-01-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>>
>>IIUC, that's exactly what the "setsid" command is intended to accomplish.
>>You can also try using bash's "disown" builtin.
>>

>Great. This worked!
>
>#!/bin/bash
>export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
>export SSH_ASKPASS="/usr/bin/win-ssh-askpass.exe"
>setsid ssh -f -X <host> -l <username> "/opt/SAS82/sas"
>
>But You'll need the setsid package (install it with cygwin setup).
>
>bye
>	ago

And it worked for me too!!

Thanks guys

p.s. in order to roll out this great product to our faculty, staff and
students (many of whom are less than computer-savvy), is there a way of
packaging up set of packages (just the base, Xfree and a couple of misc.
packages such as setsid above) so they can download from a local
repository?  Sorta like a download profile for setup.exe?

Scotty

* Custom Cygwin downloads (Was Re: win-ssh-askpass not working)
@ 2004-01-23 15:58         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Steve Howie wrote:

> [snip]
> p.s. in order to roll out this great product to our faculty, staff and
> students (many of whom are less than computer-savvy), is there a way of
> packaging up set of packages (just the base, Xfree and a couple of misc.
> packages such as setsid above) so they can download from a local
> repository?  Sorta like a download profile for setup.exe?
>
> Scotty

Scotty,

This should really be a separate thread, but I'll settle for changing the
subject.  This also has been discussed on the Cygwin list quite a few
times.  What you want is to set up a local mirror, and put all the
packages you'd like to be downloaded by default into the "Base" category
in the setup.ini/bz2 file on your mirror.  Then instruct the users to
point setup.exe to your local mirror, and you're done.  To create the
setup.ini/bz2, see the "upset" script in the cygwin-apps repository.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu