* Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-23 11:10 Wil Hunt
From: Wil Hunt @ 2004-01-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello all,

    I am currently using Cygwin/XFree86 and loving it.  I've compiled IceWM
and have been happily using that to make my life heaver here at work where
we have a big messy mixture of Windows and Linux boxes.

    My question is this... I currently open Cygwin's bash shell window and
type startx to start up my X server.  (I use the windowless option to avoid
the ugly background.)  But this leaves me with a bash shell that I don't
use.  I use my X shell windows.  Is there a way to start the X server with
all the options I am currently getting via my startx script without opening
a bash shell window?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Wil

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-23 13:40 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2004-01-23 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

>     My question is this... I currently open Cygwin's bash shell window and
> type startx to start up my X server.  (I use the windowless option to avoid
> the ugly background.)  But this leaves me with a bash shell that I don't
> use.  I use my X shell windows.  Is there a way to start the X server with
> all the options I am currently getting via my startx script without opening
> a bash shell window?

I don't know what options you have in your startx script, but I have a
shortcut in my Windows startup folder with target

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow -clipboard -dpi 100

The server starts quietly when I log in.  No shell window opens.

HTH,
Andrew.

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-23 15:30   ` Holger Krull
From: Holger Krull @ 2004-01-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> I don't know what options you have in your startx script, but I have a
> shortcut in my Windows startup folder with target
>
> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow -clipboard -dpi 100

But that only works if the cygwin dlls are in your PATH.

I use
D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l -c "xwin +kb -xkbmap de -query murpel -from
192.168.1.2 -dpi 100 -clipboard &"
as a link to avoid the additional window. Without the query option this
should work.

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-24  4:49     ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2004-01-24  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

>> I don't know what options you have in your startx script, but I have a
>> shortcut in my Windows startup folder with target
>>
>> C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -multiwindow -clipboard -dpi 100
>
> But that only works if the cygwin dlls are in your PATH.

So, put them in.  Then you can run other cygwin apps without needing a
console window too.

> I use
> D:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l -c "xwin +kb -xkbmap de -query murpel -from
> 192.168.1.2 -dpi 100 -clipboard &"
> as a link to avoid the additional window. Without the query option this
> should work.

And this doesn't open a shell window?  That's what the OP wanted to avoid.

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-24 10:41       ` Holger Krull
From: Holger Krull @ 2004-01-24 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andrew Schulman schrieb:

> And this doesn't open a shell window?  That's what the OP wanted to avoid.

The shell window closes after starting Xwin.

Holger Krull

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-03-17 12:57 ramerkw
From: ramerkw @ 2004-03-17 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I've been following this thread as a lurker and hopefully this message
will be threaded with those already posted.  I have tried several of the
suggestions.  They work mostly, but I can't seem to get  wmaker going
as does a 'startx' command.

Using the shortcut with XWin .... just brings up an empty, unresponsive root.

Tried mv'ing my .xserverrc with no success.

.xinit --
exec wmaker

.xsession
exec wmaker

properties of shortcut:
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l -c "XWin -fullscreen -clipboard -emulate3buttons 50&"

Suggestions are welcome.

* Re: Using startx script without opening cygwin bash command window
@ 2004-01-24 20:34 Milos Komarcevic
From: Milos Komarcevic @ 2004-01-24 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

>    My question is this... I currently open Cygwin's bash shell window and
>type startx to start up my X server.  (I use the windowless option to avoid
>the ugly background.)  But this leaves me with a bash shell that I don't
>use.  I use my X shell windows.  Is there a way to start the X server with
>all the options I am currently getting via my startx script without opening
>a bash shell window?

Why not use already provided startxwin.bat in (/usr/X11R6/bin)?
You get it by installing the XFree86-startup-scripts package.

Just add -multiwindow -clipboard and comment out the xterm instance

Regards,
Milos