* A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-07-29  7:17 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-07-29  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it) or xpdf
(black background, stylized red X and stylized white pdf).

Any hints? I've searched the usual places, and they don't
seem to be mentioned in the start menu builder either ...

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-07-29 11:04 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-07-29 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, cygwin-xfree

Hi Eliot,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Eliot Moss  wrote:
> Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
> getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
> wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
> For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
> used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it) or xpdf
> (black background, stylized red X and stylized white pdf).

Right-click, Properties, Change Icon...
will bring up a dialog which allows you to change the source of the
icon, with the current source filled in.

Csaba

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-07-29 14:10   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-07-29 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 7/29/2011 3:16 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> Hi Eliot,
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Eliot Moss  wrote:
>> Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
>> getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
>> wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
>> For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
>> used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it) or xpdf
>> (black background, stylized red X and stylized white pdf).
>
> Right-click, Properties, Change Icon...
> will bring up a dialog which allows you to change the source of the
> icon, with the current source filled in.

Dear Csaba -- I appreciate your effort to be helpful.
In this case I already know how to change an icon that
is directly associated with a program file or shortcut.
However, these programs do not seem to have an icon
associated in the usual way, and even their normal icon
is not what cygwin-xfree displays in the toolbar.
For example, xemacs from the Windows dialog does not show
any icon or offer a way to set one.  The shortcut to it
that is in the Cygwin X menu does associate an icon and
allow you to change it, but the icon that is in the toolbar
is not one of the ones offered. The startxwin/.XWinrc
mechanisms are looking somewhere else, and I was asking
where that is.  Even the default files that build the
menus and such do not mention the xemacs and xpdf icons
that I actually see ...

Regards -- Eliot

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-07-29 19:48 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2011-07-29 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, cygwin-xfree

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Eliot Moss  wrote:
> Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
> getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
> wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
> For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
> used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it)

That seems to be /usr/share/xemacs-21.4.22/etc/xemacs-icon.xpm and
xemacs appears to set it programatically.
When started from mintty, the xemach window has the generic Cywgin-X
icon, then switches to the red XE icon after it gets initialized.

xemacs is just a shortcut:
$ ls -l /bin/xemacs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 ecsardu root 18 Jul 29 15:41 /bin/xemacs -> xemacs-21.4.22.exe*

When started from a windows shortcut pointing to xemacs-21.4.22.exe,
it shows up with the icon of xemacs-21.4.22.exe and does not change
(because there is no DISPLAY in my Windows environment).

Csaba

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-07-30  6:10   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-07-30  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks for the tip about .xpm files!

-- Eliot

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-08-01 15:12   ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2011-08-01 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, moss

On 29/07/2011 15:10, Csaba Raduly wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Eliot Moss  wrote:
>> Recently I started using startxwin and .XWinrc and am
>> getting used to -multiwindow mode.  Something I have been
>> wondering is where the program icons actually come from.
>> For example, I cannot for the life of me find the icons
>> used for xemacs (has a little red XE in it)
>
> That seems to be /usr/share/xemacs-21.4.22/etc/xemacs-icon.xpm and
> xemacs appears to set it programatically.

The window icons (shown on taskbar, top-left of window, etc.) are indeed set
programmatically.

This is the case for normal windows applications as well. There is no
requirement that the icon associated with a shortcut and the window icon which
is actually used by an application started by that shortcut be the same.

The multiwindow mode integrated WM understands about _NET_WM_ICON [1] and
WM_HINTS [2] X window properties and hopefully converts a suitable icon found
there on the fly into a Windows icon.

It's up to the X application itself how those properties get set.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html#id2507733
[2] http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#WM_HINTS

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: A question about program icons ...
@ 2011-08-01 15:17     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2011-08-01 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Jon TURNEY

Thanks, Jon, for the additional explanations!   Eliot