* Cygwin xterm and emacs-X11 broken in Windows 7
@ 2011-10-26 20:08 Zdzislaw Meglicki
From: Zdzislaw Meglicki @ 2011-10-26 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: cygwin

Windows 7 (Enterprise): On X11 startup with startxwin I am getting a message:

   startxwin: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

The xterm window that pops up knows that it's "xterm" (the value of TERM
variable), but it's not configured properly. Curses don't work. Command
completion (in bash) doesn't work. "Less", "more", "vi" and "view" work like on
an undefined terminal (vi and view don't even want to come up).

This may be a non-X11 issue (a curses/term problem), so I'm cross-posting to
cygwin at cygwin dot com as well.

Perhaps related: in emacs-X11 entering the shell mode (M-x shell) kills the
shell. I just get a prompt, then "exit" and a message

   Process shell finished

This does *not* happen in emacs-nox, neither does this happen in xemacs.

I attach the output of cygcheck -s -r -v.

Zdzislaw Meglicki
Indiana University

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.log.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 32899 bytes --]

* Re: Cygwin xterm and emacs-X11 broken in Windows 7
@ 2011-10-27 18:22 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2011-10-27 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

[Removing the cygwin list from the CC.}

On 10/26/2011 4:08 PM, Zdzislaw Meglicki wrote:
[...]
> Perhaps related: in emacs-X11 entering the shell mode (M-x shell) kills the
> shell. I just get a prompt, then "exit" and a message
>

>     Process shell finished
>
> This does *not* happen in emacs-nox, neither does this happen in xemacs.

It works fine for me, so my best guess is that this is related to your
other X problems.  But you might try a recent Cygwin snapshot, on the
off chance that that helps.  There have been several changes that have
an impact on processes running under emacs.

Ken