* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support [was: Problems with emacs built against gtk3]
@ 2012-04-06 19:22 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-04-06 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xCygwin

Hi Ken,

Ken Brown wrote:

> Now I can reproduce the problem with both gtk2 and gtk3

If you remember I flagged this on 24.11.2011 with a private mail. After
the upgrading to GNOME 3.2, not only the gtk3 build was unstable but
also the old gtk2 builds were unstable...

Since then I am using this target

C:\cygwin-2\bin\run.exe bash -l -c 'GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory emacs
-display 127.0.0.1:0.0 2>/dev/null &'

to start Emacs from a link on desktop, and it works both with gtk2 and
with gtk3 builds.

Notice, I do not use Cygwin service (dbus,... etc.)

Any way I will try to follow your recipe to reproduce the problem, but I
am sure it is still there..

> Here are the steps for reproducing the problem:

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support [was: Problems with emacs built against gtk3]
@ 2012-04-07 22:11 ` Angelo Graziosi
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-04-07 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xCygwin

Il 06/04/2012 21.22, Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:

> Any way I will try to follow your recipe to reproduce the problem, but I
> am sure it is still there..

No, it isn't!

I have run Emacs for more than 14 hours and I haven't see any problem. I
have done that strictly following your recipe...

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support [was: Problems with emacs built against gtk3]
@ 2012-04-08 11:18   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-04-08 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/7/2012 6:11 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Il 06/04/2012 21.22, Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>

>> Any way I will try to follow your recipe to reproduce the problem, but I
>> am sure it is still there..
>
> No, it isn't!
>
> I have run Emacs for more than 14 hours and I haven't see any problem. I
> have done that strictly following your recipe...

Hi Angelo,

That's great news.  Thank you very much for testing.  Now I just have to
figure out why it doesn't work on my system.  Would you mind sending me
your cygcheck output off-list so I can see how my setup differs from
yours?  I wonder if I need some GNOME-related package.  Or it could be
BLODA.  What anti-virus software do you use (if any)?

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support [was: Problems with emacs built against gtk3]
@ 2012-04-08 14:10   ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-04-08 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xCygwin

Ken Brown wrote:

> Would you mind sending me your cygcheck output

Attached...

> What anti-virus software do you use (if any)?

Microsoft Security Essential (MSE)... I would be glad if someone could
teach me how do not use an AV on Windows... ;-)

Ciao,
Angelo.

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out.bz2 --]

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support
@ 2012-04-09 21:34   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-04-09 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/7/2012 6:11 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Il 06/04/2012 21.22, Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
>

>> Any way I will try to follow your recipe to reproduce the problem, but I
>> am sure it is still there..
>
> No, it isn't!
>
> I have run Emacs for more than 14 hours and I haven't see any problem. I
> have done that strictly following your recipe...

I can confirm that it seems to work fine on Windows XP.  But I have two
Windows 7 computers on which it still consistently fails.  I'm searching
for BLODA, but in the meantime, it would be helpful if someone else
could test it on Windows 7.  I'd like to know if it's a general problem
on Windows 7 or something specific to my systems.  The recipe is in

   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2012-04/msg00024.html

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support
@ 2012-04-09 22:41     ` Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2012-04-09 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xCygwin

Ken Brown wrote:
> But I have two Windows 7 computers on which it still consistently fails. I'm searching for BLODA, but in the meantime, it would be helpful if someone else could test it on Windows 7

I am afraid, I haven't a Windows 7 box :-(

Ciao,
Angelo.

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support
@ 2012-04-15 12:20     ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-04-15 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I haven't made in progress in trying to debug this problem.  I think I
will probably have to build the next release of emacs without GSettings
support.  (This is a shame, but it's not a regression; emacs has never
had the possibility of supporting GSettings prior to emacs-24.)  If
there are any emacs users out there who care about this, read on.

First, here's a summary of what I know.  Everything I say is independent
of whether I build emacs with gtk2 or gtk3.

* If emacs is built with GSettings support, it seems to work fine on
Windows XP.

* It also works fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 systems if I

   export GSETTINGS_BACKEND=memory

* It fails on my Windows 7 systems otherwise.  The failure consists of
emacs crashing with a segmentation fault shortly after it starts.  This
could happen after a few minutes or a few hours, but it always happens.

* I haven't found any indication that this is a BLODA problem, but I
can't rule it out either.

It would be very helpful if other people could try it on Windows 7.
Here are the steps for testing, which are simpler than what I posted
earlier in the thread:

1. Install my test build of emacs-X11-24.0.95-7 by running

   setup.exe -K http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin/kbrown.gpg

and adding http://sanibeltranquility.com/cygwin to the list of mirrors.
  This was built with gtk3, so you'll have to let setup install a bunch
of dependencies unless you already have libgtk3_0 installed.

2. Start the X server using the Start Menu shortcut, with no ~/.startxwinrc.

3. In the resulting xterm window:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
emacs -Q &

4. Wait a few hours, if necessary, to see if emacs crashes.  You can use
it or just leave it alone (but don't use it for anything important).

5. Send a note to the list reporting success or failure, with details
about your system.

6. If it fails, you can rerun setup.exe to restore your previous version
of emacs.  Or, if you'd like, you can install my build of
emacs-X11-24.0.95-6, which was built without GSettings support.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to test.

Ken

* Re: Problems with emacs built with gsettings support [was: Problems with emacs built against gtk3]
@ 2012-04-06 17:22                           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2012-04-06 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/4/2012 6:12 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2012-04-04 09:15, Ken Brown wrote:
>> Another option is to use gtk3 but to put the GSETTINGS_BACKEND
>> workaround into the emacs startup code:
>>
>> setenv ("GSETTINGS_BACKEND", "memory", 1);
>>
>> I've been testing this, and it seems to work (but I won't be completely
>> confident until I've had emacs running for a day or so). Do you see any
>> downside?
>
> This is intended solely for testing and debugging. Settings will not be
> saved from one invocation to the next, so that's a pretty big downside.

OK, that was a bad idea.  I'm going to try to debug this problem.

I was wrong when I said that the problem doesn't occur with gtk2.  I
based that statement on earlier tests; but I did those tests several
months ago, when I started this thread, and I probably didn't have
dconf-service installed at the time.  Now I can reproduce the problem
with both gtk2 and gtk3.  But the problem doesn't occur if I build emacs
with the configure option --without-gsettings.  I've changed the subject
line accordingly.

By the way, emacs (starting with emacs-24) will use both GSettings and
GConf if they're available.  But there doesn't appear to be any problem
using GConf alone.

Here's my most recent debugging session.  This is from a build using
gtk2 and GSettings (but not GConf):

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.50.20111026-cvs (cygwin-special)
[...]
Reading symbols from /home/kbrown/src/emacs/test/src/emacs...done.
(gdb) r -Q
Starting program: /home/kbrown/src/emacs/test/src/emacs -Q
[New Thread 12220.0x950]
[...]
[New Thread 12220.0x330c]

0x00289d7a in ?? ()
(gdb) bt full
#0  0x00289d7a in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x007bd264 in __morecore ()
No symbol table info available.
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x1 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

#2  0x00000001 in ?? ()
warning: (Internal error: pc 0x0 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

         wsock_started = true
         wsadata = {wVersion = 514, wHighVersion = 514,
           szDescription = "WinSock 2.0", '\000' <repeats 245 times>,
           szSystemStatus = "Running", '\000' <repeats 121 times>,
           iMaxSockets = 0, iMaxUdpDg = 0, lpVendorInfo = 0x0}
#3  0x00606175 in calloc (nmemb=4294867296, size=8) at gmalloc.c:1547
         result = 0x0
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()
No symbol table info available.

This looks very strange to me, especially the part about WinSock.  Where
could that have come from?

Here are the steps for reproducing the problem:

1. Install the following packages and their dependencies:

   gnutls-devel
   libdbus1-devel
   libdbus1_3
   libgif-devel
   libgtk2.0-devel
   libgtk3-devel
   libMagick-devel
   libMagickCore5
   librsvg2-devel
   libSM-devel
   libXpm-devel

[These might not all be necessary for reproducing the problem, but
they're used in my build or as runtime dependencies of my build.]

2. Build emacs with GSettings support but not GConf support:

wget ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-24.0.95.tar.gz
tar -xf emacs-24.0.95.tar.gz
cd emacs-24.0.95
./configure --without-gconf && make

[Note: By default, the build will use gtk2.  The option
"--with-x-toolkit=gtk3" will make it use gtk3.]

3. Start the X server using the Start Menu shortcut, with no ~/.startxwinrc.

4. In the resulting xterm window:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`
cd emacs-24.0.95/src
./emacs -Q &

5. Ignore emacs; it will eventually crash.  This could take one or more
hours, but it happens every time on my system.  It happens much faster
if I don't disable GConf support.

It would be extremely helpful if someone could try to reproduce this.
At the very least, I'd like to rule out the possibility that it's caused
by BLODA on my system.

Ken