* Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series
@ 2012-04-05 15:55 Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Jon (et al.) --

Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).

The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
don't know how at this point.

Separately, going from 1.12.0-1 to 1.12.0-2 changed my xemacs
icon, to one that is nearly transparent (there's something
there, but very hard to discern).  In the past xemacs gave
its own icon (which I could never find or override).

Here are possibly relevant facts about my setup:

1) How I start things: StartWXin is a Windows short cut, set to run as a
"Normal Window", started from directory C:\cygwin\bin, with this command
("Target"):

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash -l -c "/bin/startxwin -- -unixkill -clipboard
-multimonitors -resize -engine 1 -emulate3buttons 100 -wm -auth
/home/Eliot/.Xauthority"

2) My .startxwinrc file contains:

#!/bin/bash

xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xdefaults
xmodmap ${HOME}/.Xmodmap

UC="${USER} console"
xterm +tb -geometry 110x43+4+0  -T "${USER}" -n "${USER}" -name "${USER}" -bg rgbi:.0/.2/.2    -ls &
xterm +tb -geometry 110x43-10+0 -T "${UC}"   -n "${UC}"   -name "${UC}"   -bg rgbi:.5/.0/.1    -ls &
xterm +tb -maximized            -T task      -n task      -name task      -bg rgbi:.05/.05/.05 -ls
-e rlwrap -a -- task shell &
xemacs                          -T xemacs    -n xemacs    -name xemacs1       &

3) My .XWinrc contains:

MENU systray {
   elnux1    EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title elnux1    -bg rgbi:.1/.10/.1 -e /usr/bin/ssh
moss@elnux1.cs.umass.edu"
   elnux7    EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title elnux7    -bg rgbi:.1/.10/.1 -e /usr/bin/ssh
moss@elnux7.cs.umass.edu"
   roc       EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title roc       -bg rgbi:.2/.20/.0 -e /usr/bin/ssh
moss@roc.cs.umass.edu"
   swarm     EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title swarm     -bg rgbi:.0/.20/.0 -geometry
120x47+0+0 -e /usr/bin/ssh moss@swarm.cs.umass.edu"
   deepgreen EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title deepgreen -bg rgbi:.0/.03/.0 -e /usr/bin/ssh
moss@deepgreen.cs.umass.edu"
   balder    EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title balder    -bg rgbi:.2/.00/.0 -e /usr/bin/ssh
moss@balder.cs.umass.edu"
   SEPARATOR
   console EXEC "xterm -display %display% +tb -geometry 110x43-10+0 -T 'Eliot console' -n 'Eliot
console' -name 'Eliot console' -bg rgbi:.5/.0/.1 -ls"
   login   EXEC "xterm -display %display% +tb -geometry 110x43+4+0  -T 'Eliot'         -n 'Eliot'
       -name 'Eliot'         -bg rgbi:.0/.2/.2 -ls"
   task    EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title task -bg rgbi:.05/.05/.05 -maximized -e rlwrap
-a -- task shell"
   xterm   EXEC "xterm -display %display% -ls -title xterm"
   SEPARATOR
   xemacs  EXEC "xemacs"
   xpdf    EXEC "xpdf"
   SEPARATOR
   "Reload .XWinrc" RELOAD
}

ROOTMENU systray

STYLES {
   console MINIMIZE
   Eliot   MINIMIZE
   xemacs1 MINIMIZE
}

======

These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series
@ 2012-04-06 17:01 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-04-06 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: moss

On 05/04/2012 16:54, Eliot Moss wrote:
> Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
> the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).

Thanks for testing!

> The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
> result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
> distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
> xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
> don't know how at this point.

I guess the window you are seeing is the terminal window in which bash is
being run? It's the job of the run command to hide that window, and why it
should suddenly stop doing so when the XWin at the bottom of the process tree
changes, I have no idea.

This might perhaps be related to a bug in cygwin 1.7.12 where cygwin
executables were wrongly handled as native, non-cygwin executables?

> Separately, going from 1.12.0-1 to 1.12.0-2 changed my xemacs
> icon, to one that is nearly transparent (there's something
> there, but very hard to discern).  In the past xemacs gave
> its own icon (which I could never find or override).

Thanks for pointing this out.  I'd introduced a couple of bugs into the
fallback icon conversion code for a bitmap pointed to by WM_HINTS (which is
only used when a NET_WM_ICON property isn't present)

I've applied a couple of fixes, so hopefully this works better now. I've
uploaded a snapshot at [2]. Perhaps you could try that out and see if that
improves things for you?

I suspect that the 'XE' icon from
/usr/share/xemacs-21.4.22/etc/xemacs-icon.xpm is baked into the Xemacs
executable.  If Xemacs itself doesn't provide a way to change it, you could
override it for multiwindow mode by using the ICONS directive in XWinrc.

> xemacs                          -T xemacs    -n xemacs    -name xemacs1       &

> STYLES {
>   console MINIMIZE
>   Eliot   MINIMIZE
>   xemacs1 MINIMIZE
> }
>

> These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
> the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
> have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?

Using -name to set the xemacs resource name does not set the window class
name, apparently by design [1], so this style directive will not match the
window title or window class name of your xemacs window.

Fortunately, you could probably achieve the same effect by adding the
'-iconic' command line option to the xemacs invocation.

On 05/04/2012 17:11, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On xorg-server 1.12.0-2, doing
> a reload of .XWinrc via the .XWinrc menu cases an
> exception that kills the X server.  I does put up
> an error window saying what happened (a
> segmentation fault).

This was also related to the icon conversion changes and should be fixed in
the latest snapshot.

[1] http://www.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/info?%28xemacs-faq.info%29Q3.1.7
[2] ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/XWin.20120406-git-b309f093d6e90201.exe.bz2

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series
@ 2012-04-07  4:01   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-07  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/6/2012 1:01 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 16:54, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
>> the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).

>> The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
>> result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
>> distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
>> xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
>> don't know how at this point.
>
> I guess the window you are seeing is the terminal window in which bash is
> being run? It's the job of the run command to hide that window, and why it
> should suddenly stop doing so when the XWin at the bottom of the process tree
> changes, I have no idea.

Yes, which is why I, too, was surprised.

> This might perhaps be related to a bug in cygwin 1.7.12 where cygwin
> executables were wrongly handled as native, non-cygwin executables?

I just installed 1.7.13, and the behavior is still there.
It goes away when something completes, which happens when
all the windows started by .startxwinrc are gone.  If I kill
it, then all those initial windows die.  Perhaps this is all
normal, *except* that the run window is displayed.

>> Separately, going from 1.12.0-1 to 1.12.0-2 changed my xemacs
>> icon, to one that is nearly transparent (there's something
>> there, but very hard to discern).  In the past xemacs gave
>> its own icon (which I could never find or override).
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.  I'd introduced a couple of bugs into the
> fallback icon conversion code for a bitmap pointed to by WM_HINTS (which is
> only used when a NET_WM_ICON property isn't present)
>
> I've applied a couple of fixes, so hopefully this works better now. I've
> uploaded a snapshot at [2]. Perhaps you could try that out and see if that
> improves things for you?

Yes!  Now the xemacs icon is back to the way it used to be.

> I suspect that the 'XE' icon from
> /usr/share/xemacs-21.4.22/etc/xemacs-icon.xpm is baked into the Xemacs
> executable.  If Xemacs itself doesn't provide a way to change it, you could
> override it for multiwindow mode by using the ICONS directive in XWinrc.

Maybe; if I find one I like :-) ...

>> These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
>> the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
>> have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?
>
> Using -name to set the xemacs resource name does not set the window class
> name, apparently by design [1], so this style directive will not match the
> window title or window class name of your xemacs window.
>
> Fortunately, you could probably achieve the same effect by adding the
> '-iconic' command line option to the xemacs invocation.

Actually, -iconic does not work; neither does it work to set the iconic
resource to true.  Seems to be an xemacs thing.  In fact, here is a quote
from the FAQ:

"Ugh, this stuff is such an incredible mess that I've about given up getting it to work. The
principal problem is numerous window-manager bugs... "

However, I find that the .XWinrc MINIMIZE style *does* work ... but of course
only for windows I create later.  And the class name is "emacs", not "xemacs",
hence a STYLE entry of: emacs MINIMIZE ...

Does this suggest to you any other way that might work to get an iconified
xemacs from the .startxwinrc file?

> On 05/04/2012 17:11, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On xorg-server 1.12.0-2, doing
>> a reload of .XWinrc via the .XWinrc menu cases an
>> exception that kills the X server.  I does put up
>> an error window saying what happened (a
>> segmentation fault).
>
> This was also related to the icon conversion changes and should be fixed in
> the latest snapshot.

That is indeed now fixed.

Thanks for all the fixes!     E

@ 2012-04-07 16:19     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-04-07 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, moss

On 07/04/2012 05:00, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/6/2012 1:01 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 05/04/2012 16:54, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> Something seems to have changed between the last 1.11 release and
>>> the 1.12.0 (up through the 1.12.0-2 release made yesterday).
>
>>> The window for StartXWin, which is minimized, did not previously
>>> result in an X icon in the taskbar, but now does, and it is
>>> distinct from the stack of X icons for my several launched
>>> xterms.  I feel it is clutter and want to suppress it, but I
>>> don't know how at this point.
>>
>> I guess the window you are seeing is the terminal window in which bash is
>> being run? It's the job of the run command to hide that window, and why it
>> should suddenly stop doing so when the XWin at the bottom of the process tree
>> changes, I have no idea.
>
> Yes, which is why I, too, was surprised.
>
>> This might perhaps be related to a bug in cygwin 1.7.12 where cygwin
>> executables were wrongly handled as native, non-cygwin executables?
>
> I just installed 1.7.13, and the behavior is still there.
> It goes away when something completes, which happens when
> all the windows started by .startxwinrc are gone.  If I kill
> it, then all those initial windows die.  Perhaps this is all
> normal, *except* that the run window is displayed.

All I can really say is that it works for me.  If run isn't doing it's job for
you, I don't know why.

You might like to take a look at using the xlaunch package to start your
Xserver and see if that behaves any better.

>>> These various commands / files all seem to be seen and used.  And by the way,
>>> the xemacs1 MINIMIZE does not seem to work -- it always starts maximized and I
>>> have to minimize it manually.  Hints on that?
>>
>> Using -name to set the xemacs resource name does not set the window class
>> name, apparently by design [1], so this style directive will not match the
>> window title or window class name of your xemacs window.
>>
>> Fortunately, you could probably achieve the same effect by adding the
>> '-iconic' command line option to the xemacs invocation.
>
> Actually, -iconic does not work; neither does it work to set the iconic
> resource to true.  Seems to be an xemacs thing.  In fact, here is a quote
> from the FAQ:
>
> "Ugh, this stuff is such an incredible mess that I've about given up getting
> it to work. The principal problem is numerous window-manager bugs... "

:-)

> However, I find that the .XWinrc MINIMIZE style *does* work ... but of course
> only for windows I create later.  And the class name is "emacs", not "xemacs",
> hence a STYLE entry of: emacs MINIMIZE ...
>
> Does this suggest to you any other way that might work to get an iconified
> xemacs from the .startxwinrc file?

We seem to be talking past each other here.  The .XWinrc you attached does not
specify a style for the 'emacs' class.

> STYLES {
>   console MINIMIZE
>   Eliot   MINIMIZE
>   xemacs1 MINIMIZE
> }

Adding 'emacs MINIMIZE' seems to work for me (although it does appear that the
window is created normal and then minimized, which a bit ugly, but that's a
consequence of the order we do things at window creation time)

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series
@ 2012-04-07 16:46       ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-07 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> All I can really say is that it works for me.  If run isn't doing it's job for
> you, I don't know why.
>
> You might like to take a look at using the xlaunch package to start your
> Xserver and see if that behaves any better.

Ok ...

>> Does this suggest to you any other way that might work to get an iconified
>> xemacs from the .startxwinrc file?
>
> We seem to be talking past each other here.  The .XWinrc you attached does not
> specify a style for the 'emacs' class.

Yes; I changed it, and was reporting on the changed .XWinrc.

> Adding 'emacs MINIMIZE' seems to work for me (although it does appear that the
> window is created normal and then minimized, which a bit ugly, but that's a
> consequence of the order we do things at window creation time)

Right, but this affects only windows launched manually from the
XWin menu, not ones launched from .startxwinrc.

Maybe xlaunch can help with both issues :-) ... I'll look into it ...

Thanks!    Eliot

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series
@ 2012-04-07 17:45         ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-04-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: moss

On 07/04/2012 17:45, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> Does this suggest to you any other way that might work to get an iconified
>>> xemacs from the .startxwinrc file?
>>
>> We seem to be talking past each other here.  The .XWinrc you attached does not
>> specify a style for the 'emacs' class.
>
> Yes; I changed it, and was reporting on the changed .XWinrc.
>
>> Adding 'emacs MINIMIZE' seems to work for me (although it does appear that the
>> window is created normal and then minimized, which a bit ugly, but that's a
>> consequence of the order we do things at window creation time)
>
> Right, but this affects only windows launched manually from the
> XWin menu, not ones launched from .startxwinrc.

I'm not sure if you are labouring under a misapprehension due to poor
documentation, or reporting a bug here.

The STYLE directive adjusts the window styling of all windows which match the
specified class or window name, it shouldn't matter how the application which
created that window was started, be it from the XWin menu, from ~/.startxwinrc
or from a terminal.  If it does matter how the application was started, then
that is a bug.

--

@ 2012-04-07 17:53           ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-07 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/7/2012 1:45 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 07/04/2012 17:45, Eliot Moss wrote:

> I'm not sure if you are labouring under a misapprehension due to poor
> documentation, or reporting a bug here.
>
> The STYLE directive adjusts the window styling of all windows which match the
> specified class or window name, it shouldn't matter how the application which
> created that window was started, be it from the XWin menu, from ~/.startxwinrc
> or from a terminal.  If it does matter how the application was started, then
> that is a bug.

I think I was confused.  I had tried to apply STYLE MINIMIZE based on
a misunderstanding of how xemacs named its windows.  When I use STYLE
emacs MINIMIZE, it matches the window name and seems to work all the
time.  Of course this means that manually launched ones also start
minimized, which wasn't my intent, but is livable.  It does seem that
xemacs is deeply confused about this whole how-to-start thing, as its
FAQ observes :-) ...

Thanks -- E

* Initial xemacs iconization (was Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series)
@ 2012-04-11 10:34             ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-11 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

In the end, I was able to address my xemacs initial window appearance
under cygwin xfree in this way:

1) First, xemacs does not handle -iconic or the iconized resource
    properly. I found it best not to set them.

2) The command line -name argument will override all the X resources,
    so if not really what I wanted (I'd have to create a whole new
    set of settings -- might be useful for some users or under other
    circumstances).

3) The window name / title argument was what I ended up using, thus:
    xemacs -T xemacs

Since the default class name for xemacs windows is emacs, I can match
all windows in .XWinrc using emacs, and thus minimize them all using:

STYLES { emacs MINIMIZE }

If I want to minimize just the one window created in (3) above, I can
write:

STYLES { xemacs MINIMIZE }

It's all logical in its own idiosyncratic way, I suppose ... Eliot

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)
@ 2012-04-11 10:40             ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-11 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dear Jon (et al.):

Here's an interesting new bit of evidence.

When playing around with xlaunch configurations and such,
I ran startxwin several times this morning. ONCE, X came
up without the iconized StartXWin window (i.e., things
displayed as they used to before I upgraded xorg-server).

This makes me suspect that there may be some kind of
timing-related behavior. Perhaps the relevant code did
not change between releases, but other changes affected
relative timing of various actions, exposing a latent
bug or race condition.

I am happy to switch the xlaunch, though, if the separate
issue with XWin when started under xlaunch can be resolved.

Regards, and thanks again for your efforts in maintaining
this complex beast!

Eliot Moss

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)
@ 2012-04-17 11:51               ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-04-17 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: moss

On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:
> When playing around with xlaunch configurations and such,
> I ran startxwin several times this morning. ONCE, X came
> up without the iconized StartXWin window (i.e., things
> displayed as they used to before I upgraded xorg-server).
>
> This makes me suspect that there may be some kind of
> timing-related behavior. Perhaps the relevant code did
> not change between releases, but other changes affected
> relative timing of various actions, exposing a latent
> bug or race condition.

I'm still not entirely sure what process in running in this window you
complain of.  Can you be say what the title and contents of this window are?

I'm also not sure if this problem is related to he X server at all.  Can you
try creating a shortcut which runs the following command, for example, and see
if the bash window is always successfully hidden?

C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "sleep 10"

--

@ 2012-04-18  8:13                 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-18  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/17/2012 7:51 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:

> I'm still not entirely sure what process in running in this window you
> complain of.  Can you be say what the title and contents of this window are?

Thank you for following up, Jon!

The title of the window in question is StartXWin.
It has no perceivable content - I cannot de-iconize it.
Its only real evidence on the screen is the task bar icon.

> I'm also not sure if this problem is related to he X server at all.  Can you
> try creating a shortcut which runs the following command, for example, and see
> if the bash window is always successfully hidden?
>
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "sleep 10"

I see no window (well, it flashes for a brief moment) and no icon.
The bash runs -- I can see it in the task manager, and then it goes
away after the appointed 10 seconds.

My StartXWin shortcut has:

Shortcut panel:
target: C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /bin/bash -l -c "/bin/startxwin -- -unixkill -clipboard -multimonitors
-resize -engine 1 -emulate3buttons 100 -wm -auth /home/Eliot/.Xauthority"
Start in: C:\cygwin\bin
Shortcut key: none
Run: Normal window
Comment: blank
Advanced...: Run as admin not checked

General panel: nothing interesting

Compatibility panel: nothing checked

Security panel: nothing adjusted

Other panels have nothing adjustable

This is starting to look like some kind of race as xorg-server is starting ..

Regards -- Eliot

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)
@ 2012-04-19 10:01                   ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-19 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/18/2012 4:13 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/17/2012 7:51 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>> On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:

> Thank you for following up, Jon!
>
> The title of the window in question is StartXWin.
> It has no perceivable content - I cannot de-iconize it.
> Its only real evidence on the screen is the task bar icon.

I'm not sure whether I've passed on the sequence of things
that happens in terms of what is visible:

1) As StartXWin starts, the screen flashes briefly, a common
artifact of run.exe.

2) Then the icon is *not* visible.

3) xorg-server starts and displays its icon, and the StartXWin icon
appears.  I am not sure whether there is a perceivable ordering
here.  I'll perhaps try it a few times to see.

This suggests that it is something about xorg-server starting and
trying to decide which icons to display.  IIRC, the StartXWin icon
appears before my xterm icons do, but then STartXWin is already
running, and the xterms get fired off by the .startxwinrc file.

Best -- Eliot

* RE: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)
@ 2012-04-19 10:50                     ` Kiehl, Horst
From: Kiehl, Horst @ 2012-04-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moss, cygwin-xfree

Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/18/2012 4:13 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 4/17/2012 7:51 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>> On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:

>> The title of the window in question is StartXWin.
>> It has no perceivable content - I cannot de-iconize it.
>> Its only real evidence on the screen is the task bar icon.
>
>I'm not sure whether I've passed on the sequence of things
>that happens in terms of what is visible:
>
>1) As StartXWin starts, the screen flashes briefly, a common
>artifact of run.exe.
>
>2) Then the icon is *not* visible.
>
>3) xorg-server starts and displays its icon, and the StartXWin icon
>appears.  I am not sure whether there is a perceivable ordering
>here.  I'll perhaps try it a few times to see.
>
>This suggests that it is something about xorg-server starting and
>trying to decide which icons to display.  IIRC, the StartXWin icon
>appears before my xterm icons do, but then STartXWin is already
>running, and the xterms get fired off by the .startxwinrc file.

I have xorg-server 1.12.0-4; I observed similar behaviour. There was a
separate taskbar icon, apparently without a window, and the xterm with
a shell that was started because I used startxwin (without specifying
an X client); the xterm had its own taskbar icon. When I closed that
xterm, its icon and also the "startxwin icon" disappeared (with XWin
continuing to run, as expected).

Also, since I use 1.12.0-x, the XWin -displayfd option does not work
anymore for me: Started through startxwin, XWin doesn't complete
starting (after " Trying to create socket for display number 0" is
displayed); started directly from bash, XWin crashes due to a
"Segmentation fault" right after this point. (I didn't report this
because I haven't tested it on other machines yet.)

Best regards, Horst

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Taskbar appearance changes between xorg-server 11 series and 12.0 series (more)
@ 2012-04-19 11:04                     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-04-19 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 4/19/2012 6:01 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 4/18/2012 4:13 AM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 4/17/2012 7:51 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
>>> On 11/04/2012 11:39, Eliot Moss wrote:

> 1) As StartXWin starts, the screen flashes briefly, a common
> artifact of run.exe.
>
> 2) Then the icon is *not* visible.
>
> 3) xorg-server starts and displays its icon, and the StartXWin icon
> appears. I am not sure whether there is a perceivable ordering
> here. I'll perhaps try it a few times to see.

I tried some more: The StartXWin and xorg-server icons come up
simultaneously as far as my eye perceives.  xterm and xemacs
icons, for jobs started by startxwin, come up later.

Once those things finish that StartXwin started, the StartXWin
icon remains, *until* I right click the xorg-server icon to
get its menu -- then the StartXWin icon goes away (presumably
xorg-server is just then perceiving the termination of StartXWin).

In hope that these various details are helpful in narrowing down
the location in the code that may be at issue -- Eliot