* Glyph substitution
@ 2012-04-16  8:19 magl
From: magl @ 2012-04-16  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Glyph substitution doesn't works on cygwin using fontconfig, xft.
Missing glyphs won't get replaced from ones existing in other fonts.
Couldn't figure out why.
Freshly installed cygwin.
Anyone can report, that it should work?

* Re: Glyph substitution
@ 2012-04-17  5:21 ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2012-04-17  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

magl@Safe-mail.net wrote:

> Glyph substitution doesn't works on cygwin using fontconfig, xft.
> Missing glyphs won't get replaced from ones existing in other fonts.
> Couldn't figure out why.
> Freshly installed cygwin.
> Anyone can report, that it should work?

----
	What would make you think it should work?

	I.e. where are you reading that it should work?
Sounds neat...if it did...

* Re: Glyph substitution
@ 2012-04-23 12:31 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2012-04-23 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: magl

On 16/04/2012 09:19, magl@Safe-mail.net wrote:
> Glyph substitution doesn't works on cygwin using fontconfig, xft.
> Missing glyphs won't get replaced from ones existing in other fonts.
> Couldn't figure out why.
> Freshly installed cygwin.
> Anyone can report, that it should work?

This is a complex topic, and "It doesn't work" is not very helpful in
diagnosing the problem

So, again, see http://cygwin.com/problems.html

I believe that a modern application using pango and xft should be capable of
doing some glyph substitution.  xedit not so much :-)

Some facts which might be considered relevant:

1) Which application you are using?
2) Which glyph you are expecting to get substituted?
3) Which font you are using which doesn't have that font?
4) Which font you expect the subsituted glyph to come from?
5) Some evidence that this works correctly for the same software on other OS,
and is a Cygwin specific problem?

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer